NCAA Championship

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 05:22 AM)
For people that supposedly love college basketball there sure is a lot of b****ing in this thread.

For me, it's a shame that my favorite sporting event of the year (NCAA Tournament) was an absolute bust this year. Not one lasting memory, in my opinion. Hell, even during One Shining Moment, they showed a missed shot at the buzzer instead of being able to show a single buzzer beater from the tournament.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 10:48 PM)
How many on UK will be one and done? 2? 3? Lamb and Jones were sophs, Miller a senior. I can't see Teague being ready. Wiltjer isn't going anyhwhere. I'm not defending Calipari and Kentucky, but does two one and done's make it a joke?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 10:59 PM)
Yeah, I'm with you. I don't see why Kentucky winning makes the rule a joke. Did the Fab 5 make college basketball a joke? Recruit a ton of HS All-Americans and you'll have a chance to win. No joke there.

They had the top 2 freshman in the country and they were they're two best players down the stretch. And both are gone. And I wouldn't doubt it at all if Teague left too. But I guess I worded it poorly. The rule was stupid before Kentucky won. Should be able to leave out of HS or forced to stay 2 years in college like the MLB.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 11:26 PM)
They had the top 2 freshman in the country and they were they're two best players down the stretch. And both are gone. And I wouldn't doubt it at all if Teague left too. But I guess I worded it poorly. The rule was stupid before Kentucky won. Should be able to leave out of HS or forced to stay 2 years in college like the MLB.

Baseball is 3 years, but your point is the same. I agree with you, I don't like the rule. Football is 3 years as well, fwiw.

Will somebody please explain to me the allure of setting things on fire (couches?) and turning over cars when your team wins someething big? I have never understood this. It's right up there with putting anchovies on pizza. Who the hell does these kinds of things and WHY?

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 08:15 AM)
Will somebody please explain to me the allure of setting things on fire (couches?) and turning over cars when your team wins someething big? I have never understood this. It's right up there with putting anchovies on pizza. Who the hell does these kinds of things and WHY?

When Indiana "rioted" after 3 different games in 2002, there really wasn't a lot of damage until the night the police decided to teargas people. Once the police acted, the crowd responded.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 07:13 AM)
Baseball is 3 years, but your point is the same. I agree with you, I don't like the rule. Football is 3 years as well, fwiw.

The problem is if you make it three years more kids will jump out of high school. I'd much rather see players leave college early than leave from high school and flame out worse. I have no problem with the one and dones. There's only a handful of them every year. They're too small of a minority to make a big deal out of it.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
The problem is if you make it three years more kids will jump out of high school. I'd much rather see players leave college early than leave from high school and flame out worse. I have no problem with the one and dones. There's only a handful of them every year. They're too small of a minority to make a big deal out of it.

I wouldn't. I'd rather them go straight there than just play one year. If a bunch leave and flame out, perhaps it would slow down the process. Maybe the NBA would be a bit more disciplined and not draft kids until they've proven something. Blowing millions on kids who bust might just do the trick.

The problem with the one and dones is twofold. Once basketball season is over there is nothing keeping these kids in class. I know college sports is littered with corporate and tv money, but if the kids are rent a students who only go to class for one semester, at what point is it no longer college sports?

The second thing is depth. When 80% of the NBA draft consists of frosh and sophs, there is no depth in college basketball. If a kid is a top tier player, I can understand leaving. But when solid players are jumping and then not getting drafted or getting drafted late and either not making a team or becoming bit players its a problem for the college game.

Maybe they can change the college letter of intent to force kids who leave early to repay their scholarship money given? That won't solve anything, but it might make some of the fringe kids at least think twice.

The NBA likes the current rule, and while they have some interest in seeing college basketball thrive, not to the extent of hurting their own product.

There is something the NCAA can do on their end, though--make a rule that once you offer a scholarship to a player, that scholarship counts against your school's limit for three years, regardless of how long the player actually stays. That would create a disincentive to recruit too many one-and-done players, as you could leave yourself without enough scholarships to fill out a team.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 12:32 AM)
I wouldn't. I'd rather them go straight there than just play one year. If a bunch leave and flame out, perhaps it would slow down the process. Maybe the NBA would be a bit more disciplined and not draft kids until they've proven something. Blowing millions on kids who bust might just do the trick.

That's pretty much why the 19 year age limit was instituted in the first place, because of GM's like Krause going all-in on high schoolers like Curry and Chandler and having them be totally unprepared for the league.

I see the real issue for the NBA being that they don't have a respectable minor league where they can actually put a legit prospect. You draft Bryce Harper at age 18, he's not immediately going to the majors. You draft an 18 year old in the NBA, the odds are you're putting him straight into the show and hoping that he can adapt to suddenly being put in a star role. Thus, they stuck a year of college in, in order to try to force people to get some pre-league experience.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 11:32 PM)

Not likely. You get fired if you take that flop, but you get fired if you pass on the next superstar too. They're always going to take the best talent that's available.