Interleague play - DH - Viciedo/Dunn - Bud Selig

59th street

QUOTE (Jake @ May 17, 2012 -> 12:17 PM)
What? Did I miss something?

Houston is moving to the AL, so each team will have 15 teams. Therefore, unless you gave a team 3 days off at a time, there will always need to be an interleague series going on.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ May 17, 2012 -> 12:21 PM)
One or three. Has to be odd.

Depending on how many interleague they settle on, I hope everyone plays interleague for a week and half in June, and the rest is one at a time.

Odd number on Tue, Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun. Could be any number on Mon/Thur when teams have off days. I think it would be a scheduling nightmare.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 17, 2012 -> 12:26 PM)
Odd number on Tue, Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun. Could be any number on Mon/Thur when teams have off days. I think it would be a scheduling nightmare.

Interleague series will be M-T-W or T-W-Thurs, and the weekend series will be F-Sa-Su. When I say it can't be two IL series, is it would leave an odd number of league opponents.

1 IL, 7 AL, 7 NL

3 IL, 6 AL, 6 NL

5 IL, 5 AL, 5 NL

7 IL, 4 AL, 4 NL

9 IL, 3 AL, 3 NL

11 IL, 2 AL, 2 NL

13 IL, 1 AL, 1 NL

15 IL

What I like about interleague all season is that they can coincide with the AL counterpart. Teams can come to Chicago and play the Cubs and Sox on the same trip if the Sox are on their way out of town, and the Cubs are on their way back in. The Sox can go to Florida and play the Rays and Marlins on the same trip. Or maybe the Rays, and then up to Atlanta. There are some advantages to the new format.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 17, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)
Interleague play is not more advantageous for one or the other league. AL teams have to hit their pitchers, NL teams have to find a DH. There are lots of good arguments against interleague play, but taking one side of an obviously two-sided argument isn't one of them.

I personally like IL play, though I am skeptical how it will work out next year doing it every day. I think it gives you a much better read on how good or bad teams are, highlights the different styles of play, brings out more fans, encourages some rivalries, and forces teams in both leagues to be more adaptive and prepared.

I have enjoyed the discussion and various opinions about this topic. Obviously having two sides to an issue is what makes it an issue, we simply see the advantage/disadvantage differently.

Just curious about your comment: ..... "AL teams have to hit their pitchers, NL teams have to find a DH" ...... Do you think these two are a wash/ equal?

The ultimate solution is a uniform DH rule for both leagues, either keep it or drop it entirely -- what other sport has such a key rule difference between leagues/conferences? But as long as it's split, you have to give the home team its set of rules, you can't just say DH in all those interleague games, that's just catering to the AL.

QUOTE (59th street @ May 17, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)
I have enjoyed the discussion and various opinions about this topic. Obviously having two sides to an issue is what makes it an issue, we simply see the advantage/disadvantage differently.

Just curious about your comment: ..... "AL teams have to hit their pitchers, NL teams have to find a DH" ...... Do you think these two are a wash/ equal?

Well, there are somewhat apples and oranges, so it would be hard to say definitively. I'd say they are on a similar scale though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)
Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales

RV cool to idea of putting Viciedo at 3b vs. Cubs but said he'll look for other places to play him with Dunn in LF

Where else could you play him? Second base? :lolhitting

The ultimate solution is a uniform DH rule for both leagues, either keep it or drop it entirely -- what other sport has such a key rule difference between leagues/conferences? But as long as it's split, you have to give the home team its set of rules, you can't just say DH in all those interleague games, that's just catering to the AL.

I think that a few more old school NL owners need to sell/die and then the NL will be able to adopt the DH, which will be immediately followed by the elmination of the AL and NL altogether, which will be immediately followed by wholesale geographic realignment.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 17, 2012 -> 02:49 PM)
I think that a few more old school NL owners need to sell/die and then the NL will be able to adopt the DH, which will be immediately followed by the elmination of the AL and NL altogether, which will be immediately followed by wholesale geographic realignment.

I can't see a scenario where the NL ever adopts the DH and I can't see a scenario where the AL ever gives it up. At least not in the next couple decades. The AL has the Union on their side (since it extends guys careers), while the NL has tradition and history to not having it.

I can't see a scenario where the NL ever adopts the DH and I can't see a scenario where the AL ever gives it up. At least not in the next couple decades. The AL has the Union on their side (since it extends guys careers), while the NL has tradition and history to not having it.

It may be a couple decades, but the money that is out there to be made by having the Yankees-Mets, Sox-Cubs, and Angels-Dodgers in the same division will eventually overcome those sticking to tradition and history.

If they play Viciedo 1 game in LF, with Dunn being a PH that game... Viciedo 1 game in right with Rios being a PH... and sit Viciedo 1 game and PH as needed... you can still get Viciedo 2 full games plus an AB, same for Dunn and Rios. You could also add in Konerko to that puzzle. In any case, they can still get them all some good AB's in a 3 game NL set.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 17, 2012 -> 03:59 PM)
If they play Viciedo 1 game in LF, with Dunn being a PH that game... Viciedo 1 game in right with Rios being a PH... and sit Viciedo 1 game and PH as needed... you can still get Viciedo 2 full games plus an AB, same for Dunn and Rios. You could also add in Konerko to that puzzle. In any case, they can still get them all some good AB's in a 3 game NL set.

Who goes for the Cubs on Sunday? It's Samardzija and then Dempster the next 2 days, and if we have to choose we may as well do the platoon thing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2012 -> 01:54 PM)

Yes except when the NL plays in an AL park they decide to throw all that tradition and history out the window and they opt to use a DH (but there is no real advantage they must just do it to be polite).

QUOTE (59th street @ May 17, 2012 -> 05:40 PM)
Yes except when the NL plays in an AL park they decide to throw all that tradition and history out the window and they opt to use a DH (but there is no real advantage they must just do it to be polite).

Did someone actually argue there was no advantage to using it? I didn't.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2012 -> 04:42 PM)
Did someone actually argue there was no advantage to using it? I didn't.

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that you thought there was no advantage.

Yes several have stated they felt little or no advantage and I thought your comment was a nice set up for my side of the discussion.