2012 Summer Olympics Thread

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
Just to add more info, 3 countries got hit by the rule because they had 3 girls in the top 24.

#4 from USA

#12 from Russia

#21 from Great Britain

They were replace by

#25 from France (none in top 24)

#26 from Poland (none in top 24)

#27 from Japan (one in top 24, #8)

China had 3 in the top 24 as well. Their third girl was 22nd.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
Delay on weekdays makes sense.

Delay on weekends for something that would be 2 pm cst, does not make sense.

That's fine, but when you're not going to show May-Walsh at 5 p.m. and then when you do show them in primetime you show 1/4 of the match that's not cool. They showed Gibbs/Rosenthal live at 3 and you got to see the whole match. How does that make sense? Save the more popular thing for primetime only to show less of it?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 09:11 PM)
That's fine, but when you're not going to show May-Walsh at 5 p.m. and then when you do show them in primetime you show 1/4 of the match that's not cool. They showed Gibbs/Rosenthal live at 3 and you got to see the whole match. How does that make sense? Save the more popular thing for primetime only to show less of it?

Then they can turn it into a sports soap opera instead of a live sporting event.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 03:49 PM)

Yeah it wasnt that bad as it would have been a major calamity if he didnt medal.

Ive had to avoid every news source all day (yahoo, espn, etc). Its getting pretty annoying.

And that in a nutshell is a great reason why we can complain about the tape delay. Can't talk about things for hours.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
I thought this thread was going to use spoiler tags until event is aired prime time.

Frustrating.

I can't believe people are upset about this. The event happened. People shouldnt have to tip toe around results for 5 hours. If you don't want to know results, avoid things like ESPN, twitter, facebook this thread etc...

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 03:17 PM)
I can't believe people are upset about this. The event happened. People shouldnt have to tip toe around results for 5 hours. If you don't want to know results, avoid things like ESPN, twitter, facebook this thread etc...

Honestly, you just have to view the NBC airing as a way to see what happened. It's just too impossible to kill time at work and not have these things spoiled.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 03:17 PM)

I do, but when the rules of this thread were specifically to use spoilers until the event airs live, I would assume that everyone can follow a simple request. Its just like using spoilers for a TV show for the first 24 hours, its a courtesy to other readers.

As I said, Im not going to ESPN, Im not going to Yahoo. If this thread was filled with spoilers, i wouldnt come here either.

That being said, the US Olympic feed just sent out a spoiler, at minimum youd think theyd be on the same page with NBC.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 04:25 PM)
I do, but when the rules of this thread were specifically to use spoilers until the event airs live, I would assume that everyone can follow a simple request. Its just like using spoilers for a TV show for the first 24 hours, its a courtesy to other readers.

As I said, Im not going to ESPN, Im not going to Yahoo. If this thread was filled with spoilers, i wouldnt come here either.

That being said, the US Olympic feed just sent out a spoiler, at minimum youd think theyd be on the same page with NBC.

I started following this thread after 5 pages were filled. My bad.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 04:25 PM)

I've only popped in and out of this thread so I didn't know we had established rules. At any rate, if I didn't want to know I personally just wouldn't have come in here. Same reason i avoid the TV thread if there was a show on I missed and had to DVR.

Just seems the b****ing in general (not necessarily here) about people "spoiling results" has gotten quite absurd this Olympics

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 01:34 PM)
From this point forward, if people are going to discuss Olympic events, please use spoiler tags if the event has NOT yet aired in the US. Thanks all!

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 03:32 PM)
Sure it's a courtesy, but if you are that concerned with watching it tonight to find out the results, you avoid ALL media and internet sites that you don't need for work, especially a thread about the Olympics.

I normally would avoid it, but the rule of this thread is not to post spoilers without spoiler tag. This was specifically posted in this very thread.

I figured Balta didnt see the original post which is why I pointed it out, so that others would realize the rule.

If you dont like the rule, feel free to complain about that.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 03:36 PM)
I normally would avoid it, but the rule of this thread is not to post spoilers without spoiler tag. This was specifically posted in this very thread.

I figured Balta didnt see the original post which is why I pointed it out, so that others would realize the rule.

If you dont like the rule, feel free to complain about that.

I could care less about the rule - if I didn't want to see things, I'd sure as hell avoid the internet and a thread about the Olympics. You're complaining about human error.