AAP Eric Grabe

Eric Grabe

2nd Base / 3rd Base

5'11 190

Bat R / Throw R

08/08/1989

Drafted 24th Round 2012

Eric was a Senior Sign out of the University of Tampa where he started as a 3rd Baseman his Sophomore year. His Senior year he started at 2B but was moved to Shortstop where he completed the season. He has been a 3/4 hole hitter most of his colligiate career. He hit .379 and .320 respectively. He was All Conference his Junior and Senior year and earned a Gold Glove Award his Junior Year.

His Sophomore year was at Polk State College a Florida JUCO where he hit .454 with 9 HR's, 11 Doubles and 3 Triples over 99 hits. He was also a Key Starting Pitcher in the rotation, topping out at 92. After his Sophomore season we was awarded Team MVP, All Conference 3rd Baseman, All Conference Pitcher, All Conference Athlete of the Year, All State 3rd Baseman and All American Honorable Mention as a 3rd Baseman.

His Freshman year was with Daytona State College a Florida JUCO where he hit .393 with 3 HR's and played Shortstop. He was selected as an All Conference Player.

Eric spent 3 seasons on the infield in Fayetteville with the Swampdogs hitting .303/.317/.355. He was selected as an AllStar his 2nd and 3rd year in Fayetteville.

Edited by floridafan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (floridafan @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 09:39 PM)
After playing in 11 games and 44 AB's, Eric is hitting .372 with 4 Doubles, 1 Triple, 4 RBI's and 1 Stolen Base.

Eric had a great night last night in a tough 6-5 loss to Greenville. He went 4-4 with a Double, a Walk and 2 runs scored. Eric currently is 3rd in the League in BA.

Edited by floridafan

QUOTE (floridafan @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 07:13 AM)
Eric had a great night last night in a tough 6-5 loss to Greenville. He went 4-4 with a Double, a Walk and 2 runs scored. Eris currently is 3rd in the League in BA.

Does Eric have a favorite position or does he like to move around?

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)
Does Eric have a favorite position or does he like to move around?

Eric's favorite spot and where he feels most comfortable is at Short Stop, next would be 2B, and then 3rd. Most of his playing time has been at either Short or 3rd, he has very quick hands so he enjoys playing up the middle where he can turn Double Plays.

He would perfer to find a home position, but realizes that the most important thing for him is to be in the line-up. So he will play wherever the coach gives him the opportunity!

Edited by floridafan

QUOTE (floridafan @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 07:35 PM)
Eric's favorite spot and where he feels most comfortable is at Short Stop, next would be 2B, and then 3rd. Most of his playing time has been at either Short or 3rd, he has very quick hands so he enjoys playing up the middle where he can turn Double Plays.

He would perfer to find a home position, but realizes that the most important thing for him is to be in the line-up. So he will play wherever the coach gives him the opportunity!

Since I am supposed to keep everyone updated on this prospect I will state that Eric was 3-5 with a double and run scored last night. He is now hitting .391 and leading the Appy League.

Of course this is nothing but a snapshot in time, and tonight may very well be very different!

I would like to see some of that HR power I know he has and that he demonstrates daily in BP.

Edited by floridafan

Been following Grabe for the past week. How did we get him at 24th? Is he just having an outstanding season and will drop off, is his ceiling too low? seems to be doing very well, albeit in the appy league. Just seems like we got a steal with him so far.

QUOTE (Indy_Soxer @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
Been following Grabe for the past week. How did we get him at 24th? Is he just having an outstanding season and will drop off, is his ceiling too low? seems to be doing very well, albeit in the appy league. Just seems like we got a steal with him so far.

Its early to make a judgment. Certianly its great to see him doing well, but it is probably too early to get super-excited for a guy drafted in the 24th. Once he hits A ball (probably next season), if he is raking, it will be time to take notice.

QUOTE (Indy_Soxer @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)

There's no questions it's impressive, but rookie ball is such a crap shoot in terms of predicting performance. It's such a mix of talent and experience and is a much higher level than anyone in the league has seen before (other than the repeats). You just never know who is going to adjust well.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 05:34 PM)
There's no questions it's impressive, but rookie ball is such a crap shoot in terms of predicting performance. It's such a mix of talent and experience and is a much higher level than anyone in the league has seen before (other than the repeats). You just never know who is going to adjust well.

Eric hit his first professional home run tonight to Left Center at Kingsport. It was a no doubter as the outfielders just turned to watch it go.

Eric has 10 doubles, 2 triples and 1 homerun and is hitting .347. He has been splitting time between 2nd Base and 3rd Base and has been involved in 15 double plays after 30 games, turning 3 from 2nd Base in one game last week.

Edited by floridafan

QUOTE (floridafan @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 08:07 AM)
Eric Grabe hit his second Home Run, a 3 run oppo shot on Monday.

http://www2.tricities.com/sports/2012/jul/...2-6-ar-2093881/

318803_448743481814780_2052558339_n.jpg

Just a moment in time but... Eric Grabe is Leading all Minor Leage Players for the White Sox in BA and Slugging.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/minorl...ex.jsp?c_id=cws

Edited by floridafan

• 2 weeks later...

Eric has been sidelined for a week or so with a tweaked hamstring, which occurred during his first at bat this past Friday night. There is no rush to get him back quickly, as the club wants him to be at 100% by 9/15 when he reports to Instructionals.

Right now he is leading the Appalachian League in BA at .357.

He has hit 2 HR's, 2 Triples and 13 Doubles.

Defensively Eric turned 17 DP's. 11 from 2B and 6 from 3B

He was charged with 5 errors.

Unfortunately it appears that he will not have enough at bats by the end of the season to qualify for the batting title, even if he stays #1 overall. Maybe next season in A Ball!

Edited by floridafan

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (floridafan @ Oct 3, 2012 -> 04:31 AM)
Since the season is winding down, and getting quiet, I thought I would link Eric's Baseball Bio.

Eric Grabe's Amatuer Baseball Bio

Eric is still out in Arizona at Instructs until October 15th. He is having a great time and working hard.

Finally got a chance to catch up with my son after his time in Arizona in Instructionals. He had a great time, and enjoyed getting to know some of the other Futuresox players. On his team were Courtney Hawkins, Keon Barnum, Joey DeMichele, and Kale Kiser.

Eric was able to play in 5 games which qualified him for an award if his team won the championship game. He managed a DH spot in that 5th game resulting in a hit.

His team went on to win the championship game.

He has been instructed to work on Agility Training over the off season. They were happy with his bat and his ability to play multiple infield positions.

A LONG offseason awaits now, game free for 5 months! This will be a first since he was 5 years old, lol! We always played year round in Florida.

Edited by floridafan

QUOTE (floridafan @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 02:05 AM)
Finally got a chance to catch up with my son after his time in Arizona in Instructionals. He had a great time, and enjoyed getting to know some of the other Futuresox players. On his team were Courtney Hawkins, Keon Barnum, Joey DeMichele, and Kale Kiser.

Eric was able to play in 5 games which qualified him for an award if his team won the championship game. He managed a DH spot in that 5th game resulting in a hit.

His team went on to win the championship game.

He has been instructed to work on Agility Training over the off season. They were happy with his bat and his ability to play multiple infield positions.

A LONG offseason awaits now, game free for 5 months! This will be a first since he was 5 years old, lol! We always played year round in Florida.

This just hit the wires.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=2...;vkey=news_milb

• 5 weeks later...

I know, I know... But I am the Dad, I can't help myself!

From Baseball America October 19, 2012 regarding the White Sox 2012 Draft:

Best Defensive Player: 3B/2B Eric Grabe (24) showed reliable hands and arm strength at both second base and third, and he also can fill in at shortstop, giving him a utility profile.

Best Pro Debut: Hawkins hit .284/.317/.480 with eight homers and 11 steals while finishing the summer in high Class A. Grabe was old for Rookie ball at 22 but batted .357/.434/.521 at Bristol. DeMichele reached low Class A while hitting .275/.328/.479 with seven homers.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Eric is working on his Hitting for Power over at Tiger Town in Lakeland as I type, and I do believe that his Average will remain high. He has always had a high BA. I expect his Power Potential projections will jump during Spring Training.

He is also working at Cooper Strength and Speed Training 3x a week in Tampa, with a focus on Agility.

As everyone knows, Eric is Older, and therefore needs to prove himself quickly and consistantly, I still believe he can achieve his goals.

I hope that the Sox are pleased and surprised by what they got in the 24th Round.

Edited by floridafan

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Eric received his notification in the mail today to report to Early Spring Training, February 21st.

I am fairly certain that having him report a couple weeks earlier than the majority of the other minor leaguers is a Very Good sign!

Of course it could be standard operating procedure as well.

Edited by floridafan