Where'd Reed's Closer's "Stuff" Go?

Marty34

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 10:47 PM)
You're not a fan of downer posts (as if anyone should care.) You include this in a post where you say the odds are against Youkilis staying healthy and effective.

I admit I was wrong about Youkilis...although I suppose we need to see more than two weeks before we make judgment...but he's definitely got more left than I anticipated. He's been an absolute blessing.

As for Reed, I think Fathom made a great point the other night. He needs to throw the ball on more than just one plane, or "change the eye level" of the hitters, as SS would say. Most of his pitches are coming in between the knee and the waist, and given that he throws 3/4, the ball stays on that plane for a long time. Would like to see him burying more pitches down and in instead of just a foot off the plate.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 11:46 PM)
I admit I was wrong about Youkilis...although I suppose we need to see more than two weeks before we make judgment...but he's definitely got more left than I anticipated. He's been an absolute blessing.

As for Reed, I think Fathom made a great point the other night. He needs to throw the ball on more than just one plane, or "change the eye level" of the hitters, as SS would say. Most of his pitches are coming in between the knee and the waist, and given that he throws 3/4, the ball stays on that plane for a long time. Would like to see him burying more pitches down and in instead of just a foot off the plate.

He didn't strike anybody out again today I don't think, but Lexi was behind him with the great D on the grounders.

I'll take his save today. Nice job, Reed.

Actually there is something to Marty's point. I think Marty has noticed what we have, but without doing the HW. Reed looks well, rather hittable. Hes velocity on the FB doesnt seem to be the issues, according to PitchFX on Fangraphs Reed is averaging a 94.7 MPH FB this year, last year it was 94.8....no big deal. But there are a couple things differently this year compared to last. The most critical IMO is that Reed's velocity on his breaking ball is way up, his slider was 80.3 last year, a solid 14.5MPH diff from FB to Breaking Ball. However, this year his slider velocity is 83.7, up 3.4 MPH, or a difference of only 11 MPH. So from a stuff point of view, Reed has lost a 3.5 MPH differntial on the change of speeds, thats bad. His change up velocity is also up this year, but only 0.8 MPH so its less impactful than the slider, but still nonetheless not a good thing.

Another thing the PitchFX data reveals is his choice in pitch type. Reed threw his FB about 69.5% of the time last year compared to 79% of the time this year. Obviously this means he is throwing his slider and change up much less, down 9% and 2% respectively. Perhaps he's lost confidence in his slider since his lost his large off speed variance, perhaps he just likes his FB more, perhaps Coop and RV have coached him in this way....I dont know, but I do know the data shows a couple concerning trends.