AJP accepts reputation at odds with passion he brings to life

LittleHurt05

What?

Antipathy for Pierzynski runs so deep that even though he ranked second among all catchers in home runs and OPS and first in RBIs as mid-season approached, he knew that he would not be selected to play in the All-Star Game in Kansas City. "I said, 'A.J., do you think you're going to make All-Stars?'" recalled his mother, Mary Jane Harrelson, recounting a late June phone conversation. "He said, 'Mom, it's a popularity contest. You think I'm going to make All-Stars?'" Pierzynski did not make All-Stars.

I did find a couple old articles from the Orlando Sentinel from AJ's Twins days that mention AJ having a stepfather named Jack Harrelson. No mention of Jack being related to Hawk, but this is before AJ was on the Sox so it wouldn't necessarily come up. There's also the Orlando connection. If I had to guess, I'd say that Jack is either a cousin or nephew of Hawk.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2002-1...zynski-clermont

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2002-0...american-league

I love this line:

He talks too much. "He's always sayin' stuff," explains his manager, Robin Ventura. Adds his mother: "His teachers used to say, 'Oh my god, I hear him in my sleep.'"

AJ is definitely a guy I'd like to have a beer with.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 12:54 PM)
I couldn't find any info on AJ being related to Hawk, but he graduated from high school with Hawk's daughter, Krista, and played baseball with his son, Casey.

I don't think that is actually true. It is just a funny coincidence. If it were true, we'd have known about it years ago.

"You describe him as a grinder," said Ventura. "Every day, over and over again, you're getting the same guy." Grinders, though, are worthless if they are not also skilled, and Pierzynski has long been an analytical and intuitive handler of Chicago's pitching staff. This year, the White Sox's staff has been in a state of nearly constant flux -- 23 different pitchers have made appearances, and 11 have made starts -- and yet still it has a cumulative ERA of 3.98, sixth-best in the American League.

Chris Sale, who has in his first year as a starter become a Cy Young candidate -- he is 15-4, with a 2.65 ERA -- believes he knows a primary reason for his, and the staff's, success. "I put everything on A.J.," Sale said. "I don't call my own game, I don't ever shake him off. Whatever fingers he puts down, that's what I'm throwing. I've never shaken him off. Never."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writ...l#ixzz24OTMnPCW

Great article. A strong argument could be made that AJ has been the Sox' MVP since 2005, all things considered.

I love this line:

He talks too much. "He's always sayin' stuff," explains his manager, Robin Ventura. Adds his mother: "His teachers used to say, 'Oh my god, I hear him in my sleep.'"

AJ is definitely a guy I'd like to have a beer with.

This is not particularly difficult if you're around North Side bars a bit. I'm not going to spill his hangouts, but I've seen AJ out and about numerous times.

i love me some AJP. he's such an asshole, he knows it, opposing teams know it. BUT, he's a grinder and competitor for sure.

you can't take that away from him. people hate on that because he brings it EVERY day. i was so happy the day KW signed him.

i knew from his days in MIN that he was one of those guys, similar to a Dennis Rodman, that you just absolutely hated playing against but LOVED to have on your team.

i really hope he gets another WS ring this year. he's breathed life into this team, into the pitching staff, and hopefully he gets another shot at winning one.

:gosoxretro: