AFL and Instructional League thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 8, 2012 -> 08:41 AM)
Not really. Assuming they bring in a 3B from outside the organization, Sanchez stays in the minors at Charlotte.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss. Sanchez is not only an option at third, but also at second with Beckham not having established himself.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Nov 8, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss. Sanchez is not only an option at third, but also at second with Beckham not having established himself.

I tend to agree. It largely depends on the attitude of the front office. If they don't like the Sox's outlook, throw the young guys into the fire and see what happens. If they think they can contend, a vet comes in to make sure they get production out of that spot. I'm leaning towards giving Sanchez a shot in the hope that he succeeds and frees up money for elsewhere.

Offtopic but relavant, MLBTR speculates Becks may earn up to 3.1 million as a first time arb eligible. I doubt it goes that high but who knows.

Link: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/chicago_white_sox/index.html

Article:

Arbitration Eligibles: Chicago White Sox

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 14, 2012 at 12:01pm CST]

The White Sox are next in our 2013 Arbitration Eligibles series. Matt Swartz's salary projections are below.

First time: Gordon Beckham ($3.1MM), Alejandro De Aza ($1.7MM), Dan Johnson ($1.2MM), Philip Humber ($1.1MM)

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 09:45 PM)
Offtopic but relavant, MLBTR speculates Becks may earn up to 3.1 million as a first time arb eligible. I doubt it goes that high but who knows.

Link: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/chicago_white_sox/index.html

Article:

Arbitration Eligibles: Chicago White Sox

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 14, 2012 at 12:01pm CST]

The White Sox are next in our 2013 Arbitration Eligibles series. Matt Swartz's salary projections are below.

First time: Gordon Beckham ($3.1MM), Alejandro De Aza ($1.7MM), Dan Johnson ($1.2MM), Philip Humber ($1.1MM)

I can't see Humber back for $1million. They couldn't even use him in garbage time last year.

AFL Championship-- Peoria beat Salt River 4-3 . Brian Goodwin called out for leaving 3rd too early on a tag up, otherwise it would have been 4-4.

Sanchez had a couple hits, stolen base, and a couple runs. Good base running, going 1st to 3rd on a single to LF.

Santos Rodriguez looked pretty good. Struck out Mike Zunino, who had 3 hits.

Billy Hamilton crashed into the wall and hurt his back, but he looked ok after the game ended. Smiling at least. Can't be too serious.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 10:52 AM)
So Trayce Thompson had a good AFL, right?

It was alright. Far from spectacular.

.208/.424/.333/.758 (2 HR)

Encouraging to see a 17 BB : 17 SO ratio. And his K% was 26%, which is down from the 30% he's had recently.

So some encouraging contact numbers but not great results. It's AFL though so everything should be taken with a grain of salt, but it would have been nice to see some better power numbers out of him. Doesn't temper my excitement about him heading in to 2013 however.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 10:11 AM)
So some encouraging contact numbers but not great results. It's AFL though so everything should be taken with a grain of salt, but it would have been nice to see some better power numbers out of him. Doesn't temper my excitement about him heading in to 2013 however.

The walks are better because we know the power is there. We weren't (aren't) sure about his ability to draw walks. Hopefully this is a sign of improvement. It's not like he was awful in that aspect, but if he's going to hit for a low average it needs to be a part of his game.