White Sox unlikely to pick up Peavy's option

justBLAZE

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anybody ever thought there was a chance they would pick it up, but I see them at least making him an offer to try and stay. Their rotation is looking pretty left-handed for next year and I can't think of any suitable righties in the orginization. They will more than likely have to add a righty from the free agent market unless they plan on letting Myer's option kick in and moving him to the rotation. I think too, that Gavin Floyd will be traded in the offseason so that's even one less right-hander.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 12:52 PM)
Yeah, there's a news flash. The other side of the coin is that I bet they are already talking about a short term deal to bring him back for 2-3 years for a smaller dollar amount. Seems like Jake likes it here, and we know the guy is faithful to where he wants to be.

Thats the intel I have. Something more realistic based on his performance with the Sox under the current deal. Laced with performance incentives and bonuses.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 12:58 PM)
Thats the intel I have. Something more realistic based on his performance with the Sox under the current deal. Laced with performance incentives and bonuses.

Nice.

As left-handed as we are, I like having Jake to balance out the top of the rotation. I really think the Sox will try to move Gavin in the off-season and see who wins a spot between Axe and Santiago. That'd save almost $10 million, plus it would get the Sox another piece, even if it is more prospects for the system.

Sale

Peavy

Danks

Quintana

Santiago/Axelrod

I am much more worried about the 3rd base situation. Do you exercise Youk? Do you try to negotiate him into a deal? Does he want to be here?

I am much more worried about the 3rd base situation. Do you exercise Youk? Do you try to negotiate him into a deal? Does he want to be here?

Finding an alternative solution would be preferred, but if it boils down to having Brent Morel as the starting 3B or paying Youk $13M, then pay Youk $13M.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 01:09 PM)
Finding an alternative solution would be preferred, but if it boils down to having Brent Morel as the starting 3B or paying Youk $13M, then pay Youk $13M.

You have to have the $13 million to pay him... Considering the crowds haven't matched the 1st place for 100+ days of the season, it could be difficult. Cross your fingers and pray for a deep playoff run.

Sale

Peavy

Danks

Quintana

Santiago/Axelrod

With Santiago winning out, that would be four lefties. Teams are going to be so happy when the White Sox come to town facing all those lefties. It's funny, but a guy like Peavy fits exactly what the Sox can't afford to let go. Floyd needs to stay as well. You can't have all these lefties especially Q and Santiago who haven't proven anything.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 01:16 PM)
With Santiago winning out, that would be four lefties. Teams are going to be so happy when the White Sox come to town facing all those lefties. It's funny, but a guy like Peavy fits exactly what the Sox can't afford to let go. Floyd needs to stay as well. You can't have all these lefties especially Q and Santiago who haven't proven anything.

AS much as its strange to have that many lefty starters, all of the teams in our division have dominant lefty bats which dont like to face those types of guys.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 01:03 PM)
Nice.

As left-handed as we are, I like having Jake to balance out the top of the rotation. I really think the Sox will try to move Gavin in the off-season and see who wins a spot between Axe and Santiago. That'd save almost $10 million, plus it would get the Sox another piece, even if it is more prospects for the system.

Sale

Peavy

Danks

Quintana

Santiago/Axelrod

I've heard Youk doesnt especially care much about playing for the White Sox. Zero loyalty/desire to stay if he doesnt get his option picked up.

The American League has a .727 OPS vs LHP and a .733 OPS vs RHP, so there's no basis at all for saying that teams are going to be happy facing all those lefties, except for maybe some mythical division-winning Kansas City team.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 07:19 PM)
The American League has a .727 OPS vs LHP and a .733 OPS vs RHP, so there's no basis at all for saying that teams are going to be happy facing all those lefties, except for maybe some mythical division-winning Kansas City team.

Trotting out four lefties in a five-man rotation spells disaster to me. Floyd and Peavy need to stay to so with Sale, Danks and Quintana. On paper, that's not bad if it can stay healthy. Sox are a big market team. They can't afford to pay that rotation??

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 07:19 PM)
I've heard Youk doesnt especially care much about playing for the White Sox. Zero loyalty/desire to stay if he doesnt get his option picked up.

That makes sense. He's still a big-name player. Wouldn't you think one of the loose pocketbook teams will be thrilled to sign him?

Trotting out four lefties in a five-man rotation spells disaster to me. Floyd and Peavy need to stay to so with Sale, Danks and Quintana. On paper, that's not bad if it can stay healthy. Sox are a big market team. They can't afford to pay that rotation??

Why does trotting out four lefties spell disaster? That's a purely arbitrary statement based on no facts. Teams don't avoid having four lefty starters because it's a bad idea--they do it because four good lefty starters are hard to find. You start the five best starters you can get your hands on.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 07:26 PM)
Why does trotting out four lefties spell disaster? That's a purely arbitrary statement based on no facts. Teams don't avoid having four lefty starters because it's a bad idea--they do it because four good lefty starters are hard to find. You start the five best starters you can get your hands on.

You still hear a lot of baseball talk about flip flopping mixing and matching lefties vs. righties in a rotation so lefties don't start back to back. Is that another myth from the fabled book? I'd like to hear Hawk and Stone's opinion or Big Hurt's of having four lefties in a 5-man rotation in theory. I think the general feeling is the lefties with Chen-like stuff, utterly hittable stuff, would get killed after teams face strong lefties like Danks and Sale. The Chen's of the world stand no chance in a rotation like that.

Edited by greg775

You still hear a lot of baseball talk about flip flopping mixing and matching lefties vs. righties in a rotation so lefties don't start back to back. Is that another myth from the fabled book? I'd like to hear Hawk and Stone's opinion or Big Hurt's of having four lefties in a 5-man rotation in theory. I think the general feeling is the lefties with Chen-like stuff, utterly hittable stuff, would get killed after teams face strong lefties like Danks and Sale. The Chen's of the world stand no chance in a rotation like that.

Sure, if you only have two lefties, you should space them out in the rotation. That doesn't mean you go out and get second-rate righties in order to avoid having good lefties pitching on consecutive days. I also think the four lefties the Sox might use all have better stuff than Chen, so I'm not too worried about that.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 07:35 PM)
Sure, if you only have two lefties, you should space them out in the rotation. That doesn't mean you go out and get second-rate righties in order to avoid having good lefties pitching on consecutive days. I also think the four lefties the Sox might use all have better stuff than Chen, so I'm not too worried about that.

I'm still not that high on Q and/or Santiago. Although both have had their great moments this year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 01:30 PM)

I dont see a problem with it. In our division you have a few marquee type hitters:

Fielder

Cabrera

Butler

Gordon

Perez

Mauer

Morneau

Willingham ( I guess)

Choo

Asdrubal

I could be missing some, but half are lefties which could actually help the all lefties case if you believe in the lefty/righty thing. Neutralizing the two main guys in Minny has been big for us. Hitters like both Cabreras are somewhat out of that since Assdribble is a switch hitter and M-Cab is ridiculous. Fielder loses 200 points of OPS if he faces a lefty. Alex Gordon is almost a platoon player considering how terrible he is against lefties (.243 ba .662 OPS). Morneau has a .576 OPS vs LHP.

What I'm trying to say is against the teams we NEED to try and beat, a lefty-heavy rotation may actually be an advantage.

Here's some more food for thought.

In the AL vs Lefties team OPS:

Texas .798

LAA .777

Boston .772

Sox .763

Yankees .763

Al vs RHP

Yankees .790

Texas .782

Detroit .778

LAA .760

Sox .739

VS LHP 4 teams OPS in the 600's

vs RHP 1 team OPS in the 600's

Bottom 5 teams vs LHP

KC

Tampa

OAK

SEA

CLE

Would you pay Peavy $18 million for one year?

That's what the Sox are looking at (22-4 million buyout), and JR hates long-term contracts.

I kind of don't see why you wouldn't pick up his option at this point. I'm kind of pissed about this. I'd rather have Peavy on 1-$18 than on say 4/$15. So long, Jakemeister, at least leave with a ring.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 12:58 PM)

Yeah, that all sounds great until some team makes him a huge offer and he's gone, which he will be if they buy him out.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 06:09 PM)
I just looked at Morel's 2012 minor league stats. Yikes. I was hoping that when his back felt better he could live up to the promise he showed in September of 2011.

Something to consider re: lefties

John Danks

RHB: .252

LHB: .269

Jose Quintana

RHB: .277

LHB: .256

Hector Santiago

RHB: .212

LHB: .202

Chris Sale

RHB: .212

LHB: .224

Our lefties don't have LOOGY type stuff (sans Sale, but he clearly dominates both kinds of hitters) and I think that shows up in their splits. Quintana throws a cutter inside to righties (Buehrle) as his primary out pitch. Danks uses cutter and/or changeup to righties as an out pitch. Santiago uses the screwball and fastball as out pitches. All of these pitchers' best out pitches work better against the opposite hand hitter. Looking at splits for other teams doesn't necessarily account for the individual repertoire of THESE lefties, since a couple of them hardly even use a curveball, for instance.