Your 2013 Plan for the White Sox

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 1, 2012 -> 02:39 PM)
The key to winning the division is winning divisional games which the Sox have a problem with.

There are a lot of good minds on this site. How bout you telling me a formula to win such games. You can't be confident that this same team is going to have any better luck in the division next year. It figures to be more of the same. That said ...

Does Hahn just ignore that issue and put together the best team possible or does he develop a plan as to how to build a team that is best equipped to win the division?

Cannot he analyze the best type of team to win divisional games? The Sox I think we can all agree are going nowhere (over .500 anyway) if they do not build a team equipped to compete against KC, Detroit, Cleveland and Minnie.

So what do they need to win those games?? That is the question. It seems to me Buehrle had a lot of success in divisional games. Do we need more crafty pitchers instead of power pitchers? Do we need speed rather than power??

I contend the key to success is beating your divisional foes and last year we were horrible against all but Minnie.This should be the emergency meeting plan at the Cell. How to construct a roster that will win 75 percent of the divisional games???

I don't remember your stance on Gavin Floyd but he was something like 7-1 with a low 3 ERA vs the central. So in this line of thinking keeping Gavin is a must. Santiago was good against the ALC. Sale as well.

Peavy and Q, not so much last year. I expect Q to grow as a pitcher, and/or be traded. Peavy had a few games against the Central that really elevated his stats, but past those really bad starts he churned out a ton of quality starts. Had the offense not taken a dump whenever he took the bump it seemed he could have looked better against the ALC.

Oh and as far as the bold statement goes....They we're over .500 this year weren't they??

If the Sox had the talent to beat NY, Texas, etc. then they certainly had the talent to beat KC and Detroit. A lot of those losses you hang on poor preparation, and what really sticks out in my mind are the first pitch fastballs to Delmon Young and the way the Sox refused to pitch in to the Royals hitters and made them so comfortable in the box that they spent an entire series reaching into the LH batters box poking balls into RF. The Sox showed some red flags this year re: game preparedness, durability/conditioning (expected of a young team) and stubborness (playing hurt, killing the team), but I am not so sure they showed how the roster was constructed inappropriately. It still surprises me all the crap about low team OBP when the real problem was stranding runners in situations where you could score them even while making an out. Yes high OBP would be better and is something we should shoot for, but team construction wasn't a major key to the Sox collapse in late August and September.