Your 2013 Plan for the White Sox

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Oct 16, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)
Also, if I'm Kenny and I'm thinking about possibly moving Viciedo in a big deal for a right-handed ace, I'm going under the radar and targeting Brandon Morrow.

The core of the offense is all the wrong side of 30, you really can't move Viciedo until you get a couple of guys to replace that core.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, if I'm Kenny and I'm thinking about possibly moving Viciedo in a big deal for a right-handed ace, I'm going under the radar and targeting Brandon Morrow.

Love the Brandon Morrow idea. Problem is, I think Toronto is going to add rather than subtract. I would not be surprised if Toronto is still where Floyd ends up.

Yeah, Toronto is definitely looking to add pitching. If anything, they'll be the ones dealing a bat to get it.

http://sulia.com/channel/baseball/f/ea091b...?source=twitter

The White Sox liked what they got from Kevin Youkilis but it's not clear if they can keep him for next season.

Youkilis' contract calls for a $13-million club option for 2013, the last year on the deal he signed in Boston, and the White Sox can't afford to pick that up given their other contract issues. They don't have a third baseman in place, however, and don't know if they can count on Brent Morel. They are expected to explore their chances to keep Youkilis on a smaller, multi-year deal but that's problematic. Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com is probably right when he says that Cleveland will bid to sign Youkilis, reuniting him with Terry Francona. The Indians have options at third base in Lonnie Chisenhall and Jack Hannahan but could play Youkilis at first base. Youkilis has relocated to the West Coast and could be an option for teams out there, including the Dodgers.

I don't think we'd have enough to get Morrow anyway. AA is (like KW, Billy Beane, etc.) the type of aggressive GM who will trade anyone for the right price, but the price for someone like Morrow would be through the roof, and rightfully so.

IMO though if you're going after a righty ace you target someone like that because you're not signing Felix, Greinke, etc. to deals in excess of $20M per season over several years. Not only does it go against the typical Sox mold, but the upside is limited since you're paying a guy to be an ace every year when in fact he may only live up to his pay in 1/3 or 1/4 of his contract. OTOH, someone like Morrow has only been great in 1 of his several seasons in the league, so in theory if you trade the farm for someone like that you can potentially extend him at a more reasonable rate by dangling enough cash in front of him to get him to forget about free agency.

One guy I'd love to get with Coop is Ricky Romero, but we have too many lefties as it is, and one is already owed a lot of money over several seasons, while another is going to become insanely expensive very soon, so adding another $$$ lefty probably isn't a good idea. I just think Coop would "fix" him.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 09:10 AM)
I'd trade Quintana & Jones to Pitt for Pedro Alvarez

if we get Alvarez that would be another low on base percentage guy, youk OBP was on the .350 while Alvarez was .317. And a line up with Viciedo, Dunn and Alvarez is gonna be a K party. and we can say that nate jones was our best reliever this season.

Why would anyone trade an ace for Viceido, even if you do think he'll get better? That's crazy. Brandon Morrow isn't an ace, though I think Toronto will look to keep what pitching they do have.

What a contradiction. Brandon Morrow is not an ace. Are you trading for an ace or going under the radar?

QUOTE (ron883 @ Oct 20, 2012 -> 07:48 PM)
Who cares? The sox are going to lose against the Royals and choke the division up anyway. People blame Ozzie for losing the past few seasons, but I don't see Robin in the playoffs.

Thankfully Ozzie had that great playoff run as soon as got away from the Sox...

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 21, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
I think he's trolling and pretending to be greg again.

I don't know why I'm considered a troll. I'm not trying to be. I just think the amount of bad rep Ozzie gets on here is a bit much.

Robin did well, but not that much better than how Ozzie did.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Oct 21, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
I don't know why I'm considered a troll. I'm not trying to be. I just think the amount of bad rep Ozzie gets on here is a bit much.

Robin did well, but not that much better than how Ozzie did.

Robin took a less talented team, with more rookies, and turned them into competitors.

It's night and day in the differences between Ozzie's performance in 2011 and Robin's in 2012.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)
I'd trade Quintana & Jones to Pitt for Pedro Alvarez
I wouldn't.

QUOTE (PuertoRicanSoxFan @ Oct 20, 2012 -> 12:15 AM)
if we get Alvarez that would be another low on base percentage guy, youk OBP was on the .350 while Alvarez was .317. And a line up with Viciedo, Dunn and Alvarez is gonna be a K party. and we can say that nate jones was our best reliever this season.
This is why.

could we have any shot at justin upton?

viciedo/sanchez/reed for him?

i have no idea, just throwing something out there, please dont flame me hahahaha

2 of the 3 (I would think) should be enough for that deal... Reed shouldn't be included. PTBN instead.

Regarding trading for Justin Upton; A right handed, 5 tool right fielder is not one of the needs for the Sox. They already have Rios, who is arguably the best position player on the team.

The holes are; catcher, 3RD base and a right handed ace to balance the starting rotation. I suspect that management will concentrate on those needs?

I'd like to see them bring back A. J., as he not only fills the catching hole, but provides left handed power, which this team needs, especially with the questions about Dunn's unacceptable batting average and high strike outs.

Third base is a big question mark. Do they bring back Youk, go after A-Rod or look elsewhere?

To fill the need for a right handed ace, I'd love to see them find someone who will be in his free agent year, who is on a noncontending team, and try to trade for his one year services. Are there any good candidates for that?

To fill the need for a right handed ace, I'd love to see them find someone who will be in his free agent year, who is on a noncontending team, and try to trade for his one year services. Are there any good candidates for that?

That sounds exactly like Gavin Floyd.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 21, 2012 -> 02:16 PM)
Robin took a less talented team, with more rookies, and turned them into competitors.

It's night and day in the differences between Ozzie's performance in 2011 and Robin's in 2012.

I can't agree with this 100%.

This year's team seemed more talented. In the big picture the result was the same. No competitors when it comes to the veterans. They choke no matter who's managing.