The Debates!

greg775

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 6, 2012 -> 12:36 AM)
I know Obama isn't perfect, never said he was, but he's a lot closer to my political stances than the Republicans.

Tell me why do you defend Romney so much, what great policy ideas does he bring to the table, huh? Or is that you like Romney because he has an R next to his name? I'm a Democrat because I agree more with their platform and I believe the GOP caters to the redneck mouthbreathers. I may not be the wonkiest poster here but the GOP really bother me with their backward anti-science, bible thumping, gun loving intolerent nonsense. I have noticed that a lot of you guys say you are mainly conservatives because you believe in fiscal responsibility, balanced budgets and whatnot, that's total bull crap, When is the last time a Republican president didn't expand the Federal government, didn't soend like a drunken sailor in a Thai whorehouse, let alone actually leave a surplus? Reagan (hero to the right) left a huge deficit at the end of his term and so have every Republican president since. Republican b**** and moan about deficit spending unless it's a Republican president, W went bats*** crazy on that front but nowhere did I see FOX news up in arms about that nor did I see Republican congressmen complaining. Fiscal responsibility my ass. What makes the GOP better? I would really like to hear your reasons. Is it because they hate f*gs, A-rabs and wetbacks? Or is it because redneck Republicans are more 'mericun than us liberal tree hugging Godless commies?

If you say it's because you really do believe in balanced budgets and small government, then the GOP isn't the party you should support and you are more blind than what you claim us liberals to be...

Open

yer

f*cking

eyes

Please read this...and take your own advice before clicking reply this time. "Open. yer. f***ing. eyes."

I'm NOT defending Romney. Romney is a flip flopping opportunist politician liar. The ONLY thing I'm doing is pointing out almost EVERY complaint you have about Romney, Obama has said or done much of the same exact thing, right in front of you, for the better part of four years. I'm merely pointing out the absurd hypocrisy of what you're saying, but what I'm NOT doing, and never will do, is defending Romney or the GOP for saying/doing much of the same.

In other words, you're defending Obama, while attacking Romney for the SAME exact s***. This is 'head in the sand political party affiliation syndrome', and nothing more. It's ok when your party does it, for some unknown reason, but when the other party does it, it's because they're ignorant, wrong, stupid, and have cooties.

I'm going to bold this next line for you, so it actually sinks in...

I do not agree with the Republicans, either, on most any subject, including religion, science, spending, etc. But just because of that, it doesn't mean that I have to agree with the Democrats by default, either.

And no, GW Bush spent like a drunken sailor, why would I defend that lack of fiscal responsibility? Because he's affiliated with a party that's supposed to be fiscally responsibly, only they never are?! No thanks, I don't defend slogans or catch phrases. I defend facts.

Edited by Y2HH

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 12:10 PM)
Fine, but that still puts them in the "too close to call" range, whereas before Obama was up a bunch (and growing) just a few weeks ago.

from 538:

Two automated polling firms, Rasmussen Reports and We Ask America, released polls in Ohio, Florida and Virginia on Friday. All of these polls were conducted on Thursday, the day after the Denver debate.

In the Rasmussen Reports polls, Mr. Romney trailed Barack Obama by 1 point in Ohio. But he led him by 1 point in Virginia and by 2 points in Florida.

These are very good numbers for Mr. Romney as compared with the ones we were seeing recently, although part of that is because Rasmussen has shown more favorable numbers for him in these states throughout the year. As compared with Rasmussen Reports’ previous polls of the same states, the margin in Ohio held steady, but Mr. Romney gained 2 points in Virginia and 4 in Florida, for an average gain of 2 points among the three states.

The We Ask America polls suggested that Mr. Romney made much larger gains. He led in all three states in its polls — and gained an average of 7 points from We Ask America’s prior polling of the same states.

Mr. Romney’s bounce has been less apparent in national tracking polls so far. The Rasmussen Reports national tracking poll held steady, showing a 2-point lead for Mr. Obama. Mr. Obama actually gained 1 point in the Gallup national tracking poll, however, and about 1.5 percentage points in the online tracking poll conducted by the RAND Corporation.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 11, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)
Ryan v Biden tonight. Anyone going to watch? I plan to record it and watch it in bits and pieces when I can.

I'm going to do the same. It's going to be like a Nascar race. I'm waiting for one of them to crash and say something incredibly stupid.

Who wants to bet Biden brings up this figure without telling the whole story at the debate?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49372827

For the second time in a week, a government unemployment report is sowing confusion—and may not be as positive as the markets think.

Spencer Platt | Getty Images

First it was last Friday's August payrolls report, which showed an unexpectedly large drop in the unemployment rate, that spurred confusion (and conspiracy theories). Now, a sharp drop in the pace of new jobless claims has also left people scratching their heads.

The Labor Department on Thursday said the number of people filing jobless claims last week dropped by a seasonally adjusted 30,000—a pretty sharp decline, and one that left the total number of filings at a four-year low of 339,000.

Financial markets immediately rallied on the news. (Read more: Stocks Rise After Jobless Claims Hit 4-Year Low.)

While the government didn’t note any unusual factors in the release itself, a Labor Department official did tell news agencies covering the release about a quirk which partly accounted for the larger-than-expected drop.

As Dow Jones reported: “A Labor Department economist said one large state didn't report additional quarterly figures as expected, accounting for a substantial part of the decrease.”

The wording of that statement, along with the accompanying headlines, left the impression that one major state didn’t turn in its figures.

Here's what actually happened. The state did report weekly jobless claims but did not process and report its quarterly claims number (when many people have to reapply for benefits for technical reasons as opposed to being newly laid off). As a result, there wasn't the expected spike in claims that normally happens at the start of the quarter.

It is unclear why that happened or how unusual that is. What is clear is that the expected spike in claims around the start of each quarter was smaller this time than usual. Coupled with the seasonal adjustment (that expected a bigger increase), that pushed down the headline figure.

In other words, the drop of 30,000 last week had more to do with the lack of expected re-filings at the start of the fourth quarter than with any particular improvement in labor market conditions.

That also means that the decline which usually follows the spike won’t be as pronounced this time around, so the headline tally of jobless claims is likely to rebound next week.

All told, these two weeks’ worth of jobless claims will end up being more noise than signal. That may frustrate those who follow the series closely for clues into the health of the U.S. labor market. Coupled with last week’s payrolls report, it is also likely to fuel perception that labor market figures in general can’t be trusted.

The Labor Department appears to have had little choice in this matter, however; it couldn’t estimate what the one large state would or should have reported. Still, it may have been able to avoid more confusion had it more clearly articulated that in its weekly press release.

And now, there is one state’s labor department with plenty of explaining to do.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 11, 2012 -> 11:23 AM)
Who wants to bet Biden brings up this figure without telling the whole story at the debate?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49372827

I would have loved it if the US Dept of Labor just outright called out the state that was missing its numbers. Hang 'em out to dry.

Romney’s Debate Win Was about Personality More than Policy

YouGov polls have been asking Americans to indicate whether they think 16 different adjectives do or do not describe Romney and Obama—such as “bold,” “effective,” “strong,” “patriotic,” “arrogant,” etc. Respondents could also leave these items blank, indicating no opinion. All of these items were not asked in the context of the debate itself—i.e., was the candidate “effective” in the debate—but overall.

In the wake of the debate, people tended to view Romney more positively, but Obama less positively, on several of these attributes. In the graph below, I present 6 attributes on which there were particularly notable shifts (or, in one case, a notable lack of change). The graphs present the percentages of people who think that the characteristic does describe Obama or Romney.

traits.png

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 11, 2012 -> 08:57 PM)
Obama's crony moderating this debate has spent more time arguing with Paul Ryan than asking questions. i just don't see why the GOP agrees to this type of stuff.

She has cut him off three or four times and Biden is living up to his reputation. Is there a bigger ass in politics today than the Pepsodent man? How many lies has Biden told tonight? Fact checked afterwards I'm sure.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Oct 11, 2012 -> 09:01 PM)
She has cut him off three or four times and Biden is living up to his reputation. Is there a bigger ass in politics today than the Pepsodent man? How many lies has Biden told tonight? Fact checked afterwards I'm sure.

Biden has looked very bad, mostly just yelling and red faced pounding his fist on the table. And yes the moderator interrupts Ryan, argues with him, but she is basically an Obama campaign worker. She also praises Biden after his nonsensical answers. a very strange debate.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 11, 2012 -> 09:08 PM)
Biden has looked very bad, mostly just yelling and red faced pounding his fist on the table. And yes the moderator interrupts Ryan, argues with him, and praises Biden after his nonsensical answers. a very strange debate.

Waiting for Biden to yell, YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT I ORDERED THE CODE RED!!!!!!!

Shocking. You guys could just admit your boy is getting his ass to handed him tonight, like we did when Obama did the last debate.

The moderator is asking him to be specific, she'd ask Biden that too but he already is.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Oct 11, 2012 -> 09:11 PM)
Shocking. You guys could just admit your boy is getting his ass to handed him tonight, like we did when Obama did the last debate.

The moderator is asking him to be specific, she'd ask Biden that too but he already is.

Ryan is winning, but I want a debate with the candidates making points, not some unusual old woman arguing with Paul Ryan.

there she goes again. now it's red faced Biden and the moderator screaming at the same time. i don't think i've ever seen a debate like this before.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 11, 2012 -> 09:12 PM)
Ryan is winning, but I want a debate with the candidates making points, not some unusual old woman arguing with Paul Ryan.

You're clueless and beyond Bias if you actually believe this.

He is getting beat so bad right now, that I actually feel sorry for him.