White Sox Re-Sign Jake Peavy

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 08:46 AM)
?

.200/.330/.460 in the 3-hole just doesn't get it done for me. There's a stat I don't like. Kinda backs up my opinion that we need to get a better 3-hole hitter for 2013, no?

We need some .380 OBP in that position. Someone dangerous. Let 0-2, Free Swings McGee bat elsewhere.

17 players who qualified for the batting title had an OBP of .375 or better. Here's the list

Who are you going to acquire on that list?

I would say you are looking at .350-.360 being more reasonable, and, considering Dunn put up the 3rd worst BABIP of his career, I think it's a fairly safe bet to assume he will do that next year. Honestly, figuring for .230/.350/.500 is not out of the realm of possibility.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 11:10 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2723586:date=Nov 7, 2012 -> 09:28 AM:name=HickoryHuskers)-->
QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 09:28 AM)
<!--quotec-->A drastic, ballsy trade would be great, but it's hard to bank on that. As for the budget, I'm not so much concerned about the dollars on FA contracts as I am the years. You can justify the money that Josh Hamilton will get for 2013 and maybe a couple years after that, but that's going to be a terrible contract down the road. If there's a guy out there who will go for bigger dollars at fewer years, I'd go after him.

Now we're talkin. What happens to the outfield if we get Hamilton? Tough ass question to answer.

If we replace Rios' contract with his then we aren't really adding that much payroll, plus we get the Rios prospects.

I think we'd still need another bat then. But we'd have at least an extra stud prospect from Rios to help.

What about the TV $40M? Any news on how the Sox view that? Seems like a little insurance for a ballsy move.

We have the pitching to make a legit run but does the brass see it that way?

I posted a similar scenario somewhere on this board. Trade Rios for prospects, turn those prospects and some of our own into Chase Headley then sign Hamilton and call it an offseason.

Payroll will jump a little bit next year if the Sox can resign Headley but the following year Dunns contract comes off the books and Headley takes over that kinda $$.

I don't think thats too much of a pipe dream if Headleys truly available, which with Gyrko waiting in the wings and the $$ Chase is about to make, it would make sense that he would be. Getting Hamilton might be the bigger stretch as I'm sure some team is gonna over pay him.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 12:07 PM)
I posted a similar scenario somewhere on this board. Trade Rios for prospects, turn those prospects and some of our own into Chase Headley then sign Hamilton and call it an offseason.

Payroll will jump a little bit next year if the Sox can resign Headley but the following year Dunns contract comes off the books and Headley takes over that kinda $$.

I don't think thats too much of a pipe dream if Headleys truly available, which with Gyrko waiting in the wings and the $$ Chase is about to make, it would make sense that he would be. Getting Hamilton might be the bigger stretch as I'm sure some team is gonna over pay him.

I think this is a good post. I say over pay Hamilton like 4 years/100+, but keep the years lower. Maybe it's okay to have that 1 expensive outfield piece since it looks like our outfield will be cheap and homegrown for the next decade or so.

So is that adding roughly $10M per year to Rios' deal? And like you're saying Dunn comes off the books in another 2. So we will only be paying big bucks to Hamilton, Headley, Sale and Danks in a few years? Plus the $40M that is fun to call free.

We should try to win next year. That's why Peavy is here, right?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)
17 players who qualified for the batting title had an OBP of .375 or better. Here's the list

I would say you are looking at .350-.360 being more reasonable, and, considering Dunn put up the 3rd worst BABIP of his career, I think it's a fairly safe bet to assume he will do that next year. Honestly, figuring for .230/.350/.500 is not out of the realm of possibility.

Other than he hasn't put up those kind of numbers for 2 1/2 years, and the other fact that he seems to put the ball in play less and less, I can see him doing that. He needs to move down in the order unless he can turn on the time machine and go back to 2009.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)

This is where I don't like BABIP. Dunn's has dropped because of the increase in the radical shift that teams have played against him. Dunn has refused to change his swing or his hitting style to adjust back, which is why his BABIP has never rebounded. Unless he shows some willingness to swing the other way on a semi-regular basis, at least often enough to get teams to modify their shift, Dunn isn't going to get any "luckier".