White Sox winter meetings thread...

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 12:33 PM)
Don't know who is available and don't know their payroll situation, but if they think they can contend Viciedo can't get regular AB's v. RH'ers.

i don't think you understand baseball.

the orioles made the playoffs with Robert Andino playing second base.

.588 OPS

.211 BA

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 11:23 AM)
You often turn it to be about the messenger as if you're above the fray. Anyway, the Sox don't have the talent level to contend and rebuild at the same time. Missing the playoffs again because of Viciedo not being able to produce against right-handers isn't worth the time spent to develop him.

Your posts are the most predictable posts.

What should the White Sox do Marty? Try to contend or rebuild? Or would you just like to stay out of it so you can moan either way?

And why are you taking what Viciedo did his first full year against RHP as what he will do forever. Granted he was 19, but look what Trout did against RHP in 2011. Then check out 2012. Viciedo is not Trout, but young hitters do get better.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)
Your posts are the most predictable posts.

What should the White Sox do Marty? Try to contend or rebuild? Or would you just like to stay out of it so you can moan either way?

And why are you taking what Viciedo did his first full year against RHP as what he will do forever. Granted he was 19, but look what Trout did against RHP in 2011. Then check out 2012.

Quit turning on the messenger. I can't make Viciedo hit RH'ers.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)
Are they planning on contending or rebuilding? If they are planning on contending finding a platoon partner for Viciedo is a must.

By this logic, the Sox must find a platoon partner for Adam Dunn, too.

I don't see why you are so hung up on Viciedo. The Sox (or just about every other team for that matter) cannot afford to ensure that they get maximum production out of every position.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)
Quit turning on the messenger. I can't make Viciedo hit RH'ers.

Putting him on the bench isn't going to help him develop either. Reality is that the Sox are a team that is going to have some guys who are not finished products in the line up. We don't have the resources, nor the fan base, to put up that kind of payroll.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)

I don't see why you are so hung up on Viciedo. The Sox (or just about every other team for that matter) cannot afford to ensure that they get maximum production out of every position.

and they're still getting a .750 OPS out of a 23 year old for zero money... I'd say that's a win regardless of splits.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
I'm guessing his 138 OPS+ his second year in the big leagues. That was very close to what Sale put up last year (142).

yep. what a player did 5 years ago is usually highly indicative of his future success, last four seasons be damned!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 12:52 PM)
You are also completely dismissing what the original context of that post was. But let that be damned as well.

he's been hurt for four years? and can be great when healthy??

dude's a really solid #3, but that's all he is. I love John Danks, but he's not a "great" pitcher. he's good.

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
Putting him on the bench isn't going to help him develop either. Reality is that the Sox are a team that is going to have some guys who are not finished products in the line up. We don't have the resources, nor the fan base, to put up that kind of payroll.

Why is developing Viciedo more important than giving the team the best chance possible to compete for a postseason spot?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 12:55 PM)
Why is developing Viciedo more important than giving the team the best chance possible to compete for a postseason spot?

why do you think the team can't do both? please answer that question!! a .750 OPS is not sinking this team! lol

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 11:55 AM)

It's not a black and white issue. It's not an either/or situation. If the Sox could go out and get a top notch (and very expensive) outfielder to replace Viciedo, they probably would if winning right now was the most important thing and they had the money. The team has to do what they can to compete AND build for the future.

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)

Platoon Viciedo/Dunn and get a LF'er.

I'm "hung up on" Viciedo because finding a platoon for him is the most cost effective way to improve the offense.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 20, 2012 -> 12:05 PM)
Platoon Viciedo/Dunn and get a LF'er.

I'm "hung up on" Viciedo because finding a platoon for him is the most cost effective way to improve the offense.

That is the most expensive platoon in the league. It's also not going to happen.