2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 12, 2013 -> 08:49 PM)
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug/11/en...-films-20120811

This article seems to explain this phenomenon. Our taste has gone against the star-powered comedy. Anchorman 2 will be an ultimate test of this idea.

The whole ensemble thing has really taken off....think of movies like The Hangover, Avengers, Fast and the Furious, that aren't based so much on one $20+ million super salary. Even The Expendables, at least the first iteration.

Ben Stiller, Jim Carrey, Adam Sander, Will Ferrell, Tom Cruise, Julia Roberts, Owen Wilson, Reese Witherspoon...think of where their salaries have gone over the last decade, for the most part.

Or Horrible Bosses/Identity Thief/Bridesmaids...where comedies are being driven by two or more lower-priced stars such as Jason Bateman, Kirsten Wiig and Melissa McCarthy.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 13, 2013 -> 06:20 PM)
Dude, she's like 15. Wait 3 more years.

Didnt even recognize Jim Carrey at first.

All I said is she is growing up, I remember when she was my daughters age in 500 days of Summer and she is becoming a pretty young woman. I'm not gawking at her, just noting it

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 12, 2013 -> 07:40 AM)
Evil Dead getting really good reviews

This is good to hear, I have been worried about a remake. Hadn't seen the original in years and made a point of watching it this past Halloween season and still enjoy it very much, terrible acting and all.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 13, 2013 -> 09:07 PM)
All I said is she is growing up, I remember when she was my daughters age in 500 days of Summer and she is becoming a pretty young woman. I'm not gawking at her, just noting it

I know what you meant...perv. jk

She has kind of fallen out of the public eye a bit. She was funny on her 30 Rock appearances and could have a nice career if on the right path.

Halfway through the new OZ movie.

Not bad, but certainly not anything to waste money on in a theatre. Maybe the 3D version would be worth it...?

And from our "hottest babes" lists, Mila Kunis looks particularly NOT hot. Could be the make-up, something's off about her in this film. Rachael Weisz actually looked better to me in this one.

The main point of enjoyment so far to me is the talking monkey sidekick character.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 11:09 AM)
I saw Chasing Amy for the first time the other night. Jason Lee's character instantly entered my top 10 all time characters.

I absolutely loved that moving until the end. The last 15-20 minutes just sucked. The scene at the bar is one of the greatest comedy scenes of all time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 11:13 AM)
I absolutely loved that moving until the end. The last 15-20 minutes just sucked. The scene at the bar is one of the greatest comedy scenes of all time.

Yea, when Jason Lee looks around and sees all of the women together and making out and it clicks for him what is going on, that is a really funny scene. Until recently I didnt know that the woman that was Joey Lauren Adams girlfriend in that part ended up being Jason Lees wife.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 11:13 AM)

I had no problem with them all leaving each other, but yes, the whole execution of it with the proposed 3 way was awful.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 10:36 AM)
I watched the fighter again last night. That movie is just fantastic to me. Even down to Mark Wahlberg's exact duplication of Ward's in the ring mannerisms.

In the same genre, Never Back Down and The Warrior are also a lot better than you'd think...

And Cinderella Man.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 01:10 AM)
Has anyone seen KILLER JOE?

That movie is pretty much insane. There's a good reason for the NC-17 rating.

Gina Gershon has some guts to do that scene with Matthew McConaughey.

Emile Hirsch was good too, along with Thomas Hayden Church....whose career hasn't really taken off after the success of Sideways with Giamatti.

Yeah, over the years, William Friedkin has directed some pretty intense movies and he was on his game with this one.

Even though it's not going to make as much bank worldwide, in the end, Oz: The Great and Powerful is better than Alice in Wonderland.

Franco's on quite a roll again now.

And Michelle Williams just improves with age. When she was on Dawson's Creek, I hated her. Never would have seen it coming that she would end up the best performer of all from that show in the end.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 12:45 PM)
Even though it's not going to make as much bank worldwide, in the end, Oz: The Great and Powerful is better than Alice in Wonderland.

And Michelle Williams just improves with age. When she was on Dawson's Creek, I hated her. Never would have seen it coming that she would end up the best performer of all from that show in the end.

I heard it was a visual kid movie with no plot.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 12:54 PM)
I heard it was a visual kid movie with no plot.

Well, all fairy tales have essentially the same plot, do they not?

Good vs. Evil, finding courage previously lacking, etc.

Certainly, it's not a great film, but it was better than I expected...and better than Alice in Wonderland, which was hugely disappointing to me.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 11:20 AM)
Yea, when Jason Lee looks around and sees all of the women together and making out and it clicks for him what is going on, that is a really funny scene. Until recently I didnt know that the woman that was Joey Lauren Adams girlfriend in that part ended up being Jason Lees wife.

Then it is topped off with Lee and the girl topping each others stories... LMFAO.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 10:45 AM)

I'm pretty amped to see Spring Breakers.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 08:55 PM)
I'm pretty amped to see Spring Breakers.

I really want to see "this is the end" where him, Danny mcbride, Seth Rogan and jay baruchel play themselves when the world Is ending. The red band trailer is hilarious

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 06:58 PM)
I really want to see "this is the end" where him, Danny mcbride, Seth Rogan and jay baruchel play themselves when the world Is ending. The red band trailer is hilarious

Yeah that looks pretty solid too.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 14, 2013 -> 08:58 PM)

Isn't this the one that's essentially Pineapple Express Part II?