General Questions About Baseball

Joxer_Daly

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 04:42 AM)
Good job! But let me expand on it a bit.

C - Field General. At a glance can make sure position players positioned correctly and alert. If not, he can ask for time and chat with the pitcher. Also usually relays defensive play signals to the fielders.

1B - Ability to scoop bad throws out of the dirt is important. Also, a tall, left handed player is preferable. Height make for a bigger target and longer stretch. Lefties apply tags a hair quicker on pickoff attempts.

2B/SS - Well said.

3B - Reflexes are crucial here, defensively. A quick reacting 3B can save several doubles down the line per season. To make my point, I give Brooks Robinson. He made the HOF basically because of his glove. No slouch with bat but was a GREAT 3B.

LF - Generally a place to hide your lumbering ox with a good bat, along with 1B. Most good defensive corner OF's seem to end up in RF for some reason, and it goes beyond arm strength. To make the point, Rios is better defensively in RF than Viciedo, but does not have the better arm.

CF - Calls for any ball he can get to. He's the general of the outfield. Usually the best all around defensive outfielder of the three starters.

RF - See my comments on LF.

As someone who never played the game at a level high enough to know the difference, I am far from an expert on the matter. But the explanation I've heard from other people is that most batters are right-handed, and a ball hit to right field by a right hander will have spin on it that causes the ball to slice pretty hard, making it hard to read. A right-hander pulling the ball to left field will cause no such sideways spin so it's easier to play.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 11:19 AM)
As someone who never played the game at a level high enough to know the difference, I am far from an expert on the matter. But the explanation I've heard from other people is that most batters are right-handed, and a ball hit to right field by a right hander will have spin on it that causes the ball to slice pretty hard, making it hard to read. A right-hander pulling the ball to left field will cause no such sideways spin so it's easier to play.

Good point.

• 1 month later...

Podcasts:

I enjoy listening to White Sox Weekly with Chris Rongey each week, usually as a podcast in the day or two following the show. It's pretty much the only radio discussion I get to listen to around the Sox, with nothing much featuring yet on the weekday 670 The Score listening that I manage sometimes over the internet during my working day.

Are there any particular podcasts out there that fellow Soxtalkers would recommend for a bit of discussion and analysis of the White Sox? Any good podcasts done by Sox fans?

Or, in fact, any good podcasts dealing with baseball in general, beyond and including the White Sox?

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 05:13 PM)
Podcasts:

I enjoy listening to White Sox Weekly with Chris Rongey each week, usually as a podcast in the day or two following the show. It's pretty much the only radio discussion I get to listen to around the Sox, with nothing much featuring yet on the weekday 670 The Score listening that I manage sometimes over the internet during my working day.

Are there any particular podcasts out there that fellow Soxtalkers would recommend for a bit of discussion and analysis of the White Sox? Any good podcasts done by Sox fans?

Or, in fact, any good podcasts dealing with baseball in general, beyond and including the White Sox?

I rarely listen, but Oral Sox is a pretty good one. They usually have some White Sox bloggers on and stuff. I'm not sure if they are continuing in 2013 or not...

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Feb 22, 2013 -> 02:21 AM)
I rarely listen, but Oral Sox is a pretty good one. They usually have some White Sox bloggers on and stuff. I'm not sure if they are continuing in 2013 or not...

They're up and running for this season; just starting to listen to Podcast #1 now, although it's from Sunday.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 07:12 AM)
Thought that was a decent listen. Well delivered.

I thought they were too much fan and could've used some stats to back up what they said. What I do is bookmark every website that deals with baseball in general and of course the Sox , There's really a lot on the web that provides useful info. PM me if you want some useful websites.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 02:58 PM)
Ok, Gordon had to run the whole way back to first when De Aza caught Getz's ball...

Why did he have to do that instead of being able to stay on second, having touched the second base before the catch was made?

If a ball is caught, you have to touch the base you're on before you can keep any advancement you've made. So if you leave early, you're free to do that, but you have to go back and touch the base before anything counts. If a ball hits the ground, then any advancements you made are totally legit and you don't have to tag the base.

Gordon went because it looked like there was a good chance De Aza wouldn't get there, so he could score easily if that was the case. But he only went far enough that, if De Aza caught it, he'd be able to scamper back safely to first on time.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 08:04 PM)
If a ball is caught, you have to touch the base you're on before you can keep any advancement you've made. So if you leave early, you're free to do that, but you have to go back and touch the base before anything counts. If a ball hits the ground, then any advancements you made are totally legit and you don't have to tag the base.

Gordon went because it looked like there was a good chance De Aza wouldn't get there, so he could score easily if that was the case. But he only went far enough that, if De Aza caught it, he'd be able to scamper back safely to first on time.

Ok. Thanks.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
Ok. Thanks.

To add: runners are always trying to maximize their chances, so depending on the likelihood that a ball is caught or the situation, they'll do different things while the ball is in the air. For instance, if there's a runner on 3rd and less than two outs, they'll just stand on the base waiting for the catch because they only need to get from 3rd to home, so if it's caught they can just take off the instant the ball hits the glove, whereas if the outfielder doesn't make the play they can scamper home on the hit.

A runner on 1b, however, is much more likely to move forward on the base path quite a bit because it's not like they'd be likely to take second base anyway (all of the outfielders are close enough to 2b that they can throw the runner out in most cases). So the runner takes some liberty. But if it looks like it's going to be caught, he needs to make sure he doesn't get too far off the base or else the fielder can throw the ball into first base. If the ball beats the runner there, he's out. So a lot of times on fly balls you'll see a runner on first base run about halfway to second in the hopes that it will fall, but not so far that they can't get back safely.

Threads like these make me love baseball even more. It's interesting to read questions from someone who didn't grow up with the game and have these rules burned into their brains automatically.

Keep them coming, this is great.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)
To add: runners are always trying to maximize their chances, so depending on the likelihood that a ball is caught or the situation, they'll do different things while the ball is in the air. For instance, if there's a runner on 3rd and less than two outs, they'll just stand on the base waiting for the catch because they only need to get from 3rd to home, so if it's caught they can just take off the instant the ball hits the glove, whereas if the outfielder doesn't make the play they can scamper home on the hit.

A runner on 1b, however, is much more likely to move forward on the base path quite a bit because it's not like they'd be likely to take second base anyway (all of the outfielders are close enough to 2b that they can throw the runner out in most cases). So the runner takes some liberty. But if it looks like it's going to be caught, he needs to make sure he doesn't get too far off the base or else the fielder can throw the ball into first base. If the ball beats the runner there, he's out. So a lot of times on fly balls you'll see a runner on first base run about halfway to second in the hopes that it will fall, but not so far that they can't get back safely.

This is part of the reason 2 out doubles with the bases loaded are so sweet/heartbreaking.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)
Ok, Gordon had to run the whole way back to first when De Aza caught Getz's ball...

Why did he have to do that instead of being able to stay on second, having touched the second base before the catch was made?

Growing up as a kid playing baseball with friends, girls and guys ,the you have to "tag up" rule was always beyond the comprehension of the girls who obviously didn't know the rules quite as good as the guys did . Runner can only advance on a caught ball in the air as it hits or after it hits the fielders glove. The runner must be on the base to start. Runners do this on deep fly balls. It's called a sacrifice fly when the runner scores . The hitter is given an RBI ( run batted in) and it also doesn't count as an official at Bat (AB) .So if a batter hits a "sac fly" his 1st AB he is officially 0 for 0 though it does count as a plate appearance but it doesnt figure into computing the hitter batting average (BA).

Not 100% sure if a batter gets credit for a sac fly if the runner(s) advance from 2nd to 3rd base or 1st to 2nd base. Runners on 1st used to hardly ever "tag up" and advance to 2nd but in recent years you see it more considering on a deep, lazy (hit high in the air where the fielder can "camp" under it) fly ball the chance of it being caught are just about 100% so going 1/2 way down to second is pretty much a waste. Going from 1st to 2nd on a caught fly ball is considered an intelligent baseball play by the runner since the norm is to go halfway or more in case its dropped. The runner has to have the capability to judge the fly ball and determine if there is a chance of it falling in for a hit or going to be a routine catch. Or if the fielder is running in the opposite direction of the base he'll have to end up throwing it to. Like a center fielder running into the gap in right center or left center field means he's running farther away from 2nd base thus taking more time to stop and turn and throw rather than camping under it and already in a position to throw.

Also some times on a sac fly the other team will "appeal " the play. Meaning they claim the runner left the base before the fielder caught the ball meaning he did not tag up properly. If the umpire agrees the runner left the base early . He is called out, the run is disallowed, and it's a double play( 2 outs ) since the other out was the caught fly ball. In this instance the pitcher will wait for the next hitter on the mound with the ball then throw the ball to the 3rd baseman who touches the base with his foot and the umpire makes the safe or out call. Most appeals are denied.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 02:25 PM)
Why would a players defensive position have a bearing on how they should perform in offense? Why would a 3B be expected to hit more or less homers than someone playing another defensive position?

This is a good question--I'll do my best to explain it.

Since first base, for example, requires a little less quickness and athleticism, you often get a lot of power hitters emerge at the position. So, the average first baseman might have a rather high slugging percentage, compared to, say, a shortstop or second baseman.

The question is about value--if you have someone at shortstop, or second base, or catcher with great power, that's a huge upgrade--it's power from an unexpected position. A .280, 25 homer season from a first baseman might be seen as somewhat pedestrian because it's close to the average for a first baseman, whereas if you got that from a middle infielder, it's a huge bonus.

You see this debate unfold when talking about a great-hitting catcher like Buster Posey. His numbers are tremendous for a catcher! But, if/when he moves to first base, his value could drop because that kind of production from first base would be expected. He could be blocking a good-hitting first baseman. Posey at catcher + average-hitting first baseman would be better production than average-hitting catcher + Posey at first base.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 04:33 PM)
Growing up as a kid playing baseball with friends, girls and guys ,the you have to "tag up" rule was always beyond the comprehension of the girls who obviously didn't know the rules quite as good as the guys did . Runner can only advance on a caught ball in the air as it hits or after it hits the fielders glove. The runner must be on the base to start. Runners do this on deep fly balls. It's called a sacrifice fly when the runner scores . The hitter is given an RBI ( run batted in) and it also doesn't count as an official at Bat (AB) .So if a batter hits a "sac fly" his 1st AB he is officially 0 for 0 though it does count as a plate appearance but it doesnt figure into computing the hitter batting average (BA).

Not 100% sure if a batter gets credit for a sac fly if the runner(s) advance from 2nd to 3rd base or 1st to 2nd base. Runners on 1st used to hardly ever "tag up" and advance to 2nd but in recent years you see it more considering on a deep, lazy (hit high in the air where the fielder can "camp" under it) fly ball the chance of it being caught are just about 100% so going 1/2 way down to second is pretty much a waste. Going from 1st to 2nd on a caught fly ball is considered an intelligent baseball play by the runner since the norm is to go halfway or more in case its dropped. The runner has to have the capability to judge the fly ball and determine if there is a chance of it falling in for a hit or going to be a routine catch. Or if the fielder is running in the opposite direction of the base he'll have to end up throwing it to. Like a center fielder running into the gap in right center or left center field means he's running farther away from 2nd base thus taking more time to stop and turn and throw rather than camping under it and already in a position to throw.

Sac flies only awarded if the runner scores.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 02:40 PM)
Threads like these make me love baseball even more. It's interesting to read questions from someone who didn't grow up with the game and have these rules burned into their brains automatically.

Keep them coming, this is great.

Agreed!