Living Ex-Presidents

Texsox

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which President do you want to have dinner with?

• Carter
    • G.H.W. Bush
    • Clinton
    • G. W. Bush
    • None, I'll have bacon!

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 10:26 PM)
I think most agree Carter was not a good president, but to say he has American hate??? I think the guy has done more positive things post-president than anyone before him and probably most after him. But, my order would be Clinton, Carter, Jr., and Sr. I have a feeling Bush Sr. would be very boring and possibly fall asleep mid dinner or I'd put him 2nd or 3rd.

Ask him about his time spent in the ocean after getting shot down in WWII. He will talk about a great crew that he lost. He actually tells stories very well and is very personable, not dynamic but enjoyable. I met him at an air show in Midland Tx where there is a small museum about his military career. He was just hanging around talking to pilots and spectators.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 09:03 AM)
Carter isn't "full of America hate" and I'd be interested in his various humanitarian efforts.

I should say American policy hate, to be a bit more accurate. He has actively subverts the policies of his own government and lends the credibility of an ex-president to Hamas when he encourages the EU to break away from the US led blockade. Calls the blockade one of the greatest human rights crimes on earth. i guess Germany killing a bunch of jews was just a speed bump in history. He also kept telling people that Israel had over 150 nukes, something which, if true, he found out while in his capacity as president and should have had an obligation to keep such secret information to himself. Loves Castro, Chavez and thinks that every rigged election in those third world hell holes is more clean and fair than any here in America (although he may be right about THAT, you still don't go down there and then start criticizing your home from abroad). He met with Castro and went on Cuban TV criticizing the American embargo. He told Chavez that America had a hand in the attempted coup in the early 2000's. Yeah, that isn't right. If you like him, fine. I just don't get it.

While I admire the general work of Habitat for Humanity, I have known several people who volunteer at the local levels for that group and they all left very fast, saying that it was like being in high school again with the cliques and 'office politics' that went on. not his fault, just sayin'. I also don't like that he gave away our canal. And his Carter Center does good work on the surface, but with funding coming from Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries, it's no wonder why he now sells out Israel every chance he gets.

The blockade and the quasi-apartheid state is a human rights crime. Don't know why you decided to drag the holocaust into it.

The embargo of Cuba is absolutely retarded and should have ended decades ago.

Chavez has his problems, but he's actually used the oil wealth of his country to help the impoverished instead of funneling it solely to himself and his friends (see: Nigeria). The US has a long history of f***ing around with democratically elected left governments in Latin America, so that's not exactly a stretch.

"Our" canal was in another country. The people of that country wanted their land back. I'm glad we gave it to them.

No I think he's confused because you say Carter has said the blockade is "one of" the greatest human rights tragedies on earth (right now? ever?) and therefore Carter must think the Holocaust is a speed-bump. Unless you were going for self-parody there, it kinda signals that your argument is pretty unhinged.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 03:42 PM)
No I think he's confused because you say Carter has said the blockade is "one of" the greatest human rights tragedies on earth (right now? ever?) and therefore Carter must think the Holocaust is a speed-bump. Unless you were going for self-parody there, it kinda signals that your argument is pretty unhinged.

No, it signals that I don't rank the blockade anywhere near even the top 10 human rights tragedies, much less 'one of the top'. I wonder where Carter would rank the suicide bombing of grade school in Israel at? or would he even acknowledge them at all? In his eyes, the other side can do no wrong.

• 1 month later...