The Wussification of America

YASNY

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 02:25 PM)
Im not really overblowing anything 10%+ being homework and participation, just shows that grades are nonsense. They at most should be 1%. I can remember classes where it was something stupid like 20% plus.

Honor roll at my school was over 3.0., I was in all ap classes, it meant I had to get a C.... That isnt exactly difficult.

But you realize those things are there for the dumb kids so they have an easier time getting a passing grade right? You're not devaluing grades for the kids that want to get good grades or use grades to get into college. In that respect it's used fairly across the board.

If your argument is that grades are propped up to a certain extent and don't show, to 100% certainty, how smart someone is, fine, I can agree with that. But you're arguing that grades are worthless because a small percent of a grade can be subjective. That's going to an unreasonable extreme.

And again, the point here is not whether the honor roll is a fair representation of intelligence or not, it's that we can't praise kids for being good at something because by doing so we're indirectly saying other kids are bad. We can't let a team win because that means another team has to lose. We're a bunch of p*****s who just complain and whine. If we don't like something WE shouldn't have to change, THEY should. It's why this country is going to s***.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 02:35 PM)
Doesn't that include being on the honor roll? :huh

Nope.

Not one school asked if I was on honor roll. They cared about my gpa/class rank/act/sat and ap tests.

Never once was I asked if my gpa was honor roll or not.

I know for a fact Illinois doesnt care about honor roll. They simply did an equation based on class rank/act.