The Wussification of America

YASNY

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 12:01 PM)
i'm glad this thread is still going

It's just been renamed the "snowmageddon" thread in Slam. It snowed a few inches, stop the world, AFK. :D

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 01:54 PM)
Really? WW1? WW2? Was it in the name of religion that atomic bombs were dropped?

I believe more people have died from greed than religion. Whether a desire for land (Mexican-American War), profits from slavery (Civil War), Oil (take your pick of the past 50 years. Yes, there have been religious wars, but if you study all of the circumstances, greed is usually at the root. They may wrap it in a religious tapestry, but remove it and you see greed.

6 of 1...

Since this devolved into a "what's wrong with America thread," did anyone listen to the This American Life radio show/podcast about Harper High School in Chicago? A pretty good listen about how f***ed up an Englewood high school is re: gun violence/problems with gangs/problems with home life. By the end I felt bad for those kids, but kept thinking how much would be different if those kids had fathers as role models instead of "older" gang members.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 13, 2013 -> 09:21 AM)
I listened to part I. Thought the comments from the school officials and the police that it doesn't even make sense to say you "join" a gang these days were interesting.

Yeah that's pretty messed up. These gangs aren't about money/drugs, it's about pride in your territory. In other words, a total fabrication that gets passed on from kid to kid at a pretty early age.

In part 1 and more in part 2, you hear from the social workers/counselors/other staff who genuinely care about what happens to some of those kids. I figured they'd become cynical at some point, but they keep pressing on.

eh it seemed more like people went with it out of necessity--you walk to school with your group of people from your block because if you go it alone, you're going to be in trouble. That's why they said you don't "join" a gang anymore than you join "being German" or "being raised Catholic;" it's something you're born into.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 13, 2013 -> 09:28 AM)
eh it seemed more like people went with it out of necessity--you walk to school with your group of people from your block because if you go it alone, you're going to be in trouble. That's why they said you don't "join" a gang anymore than you join "being German" or "being raised Catholic;" it's something you're born into.

I don't disagree, but there's still not a reason for the gangs to exist other than tradition. It's not about protecting turf to sell drugs like 20 years ago. So older kids create hostility and the younger kids are incorporated into it and it becomes a cycle.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Mar 5, 2013 -> 10:38 PM)
6 of 1...

I believe greed and religion are two very distinct things. The thesis "more wars have been started for religion" is very different than "more wars have been started for greed". The old exploration saying of doing it for "gold, God, or glory" holds true with wars as well.

Was the British Empire more about the glory for England or for God, or both?

The explorers' conquests, like the Spanish, Italians, Dutch or Portuguese?

To put World War II or I in the religion column would be a simplistic reading of it, but you do have the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, the religious/ethnic issues in the Balkans...as a precipitator, and obviously the Holocaust (which you can certainly indict the Catholic Church for their passive or inert stance in the face of Hitler in the late 1930's).

Depending on your take on the Japanese, that was either imperialism or the threat of being cut off from precious natural resources such as oil....so the strike first before your enemy grows too strong theory.

With the American Civil War, there's no way to get away from the theme or religion, religious faith of the slaves and abolitionists....read many of Lincoln's speeches, they're steeped in religious imagery and verbiage.

Revolutionary War....religious freedom, self-determination, emancipation from monarchical control, you can go through every single world conflict and find this latticework connecting the dots, especially the war against the Native Americans in the 1870's, 1880's and early 1890's.

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 16, 2013 -> 06:47 PM)
I believe greed and religion are two very distinct things. The thesis "more wars have been started for religion" is very different than "more wars have been started for greed". The old exploration saying of doing it for "gold, God, or glory" holds true with wars as well.

Yes and no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_talents_or_minas

Can you separate the belief of many Christians that multiplying their wealth is analagous to faith/works/actions that bring greater glory to the church and more followers into the Kingdom?

There's two very different threads in the Bible. The "peace and social justice" side, and yet many parables are used to defend the philosophy behind amassing wealth.

Then you have the other side of that same coin, self-determination without the religious backdrop...Ayn Rand's atheistic theory applies

http://rebirthofreason.com/Articles/Parill...t_1_of_4).shtml

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 13, 2013 -> 09:48 AM)
I don't disagree, but there's still not a reason for the gangs to exist other than tradition. It's not about protecting turf to sell drugs like 20 years ago. So older kids create hostility and the younger kids are incorporated into it and it becomes a cycle.

So what did you think about the information on where the guns are coming from in Part II?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 09:06 AM)
So what did you think about the information on where the guns are coming from in Part II?

Didn't really change my opinion. They said the majority of guns are still bought illegally, and the ease of obtaining a gun isn't surprising. Again, it all comes down to changing the culture. Break these kids up, make it so that they don't have to join a gang out of fear, and the need for the weapons (and violence generally) will go away. But as it is the situation is just a cycle - little kids get indoctrinated into it and when they get "older" they do the same thing to the next generation.

An Ipswitch, Ma., middle-school principal has canceled his school’s annual honors assembly because it was too upsetting for some students. Boston’s Fox affiliate reports the explanation of Principal David Fabrizio, the man at the center of the silliness: “Honors Night, which can be a great sense of pride for the recipients’ families, can also be devastating to a child who has worked extremely hard in a difficult class but who, despite growth, has not been able to maintain a high grade point average.”

Fabrizio also justified his decision by claiming it was unfair to reward good grades — which can be be influenced by the home environment and supportive parents — because not all of students have access to equal amounts of academic and emotional support.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 09:14 PM)
An Ipswitch, Ma., middle-school principal has canceled his school’s annual honors assembly because it was too upsetting for some students. Boston’s Fox affiliate reports the explanation of Principal David Fabrizio, the man at the center of the silliness: “Honors Night, which can be a great sense of pride for the recipients’ families, can also be devastating to a child who has worked extremely hard in a difficult class but who, despite growth, has not been able to maintain a high grade point average.”

Fabrizio also justified his decision by claiming it was unfair to reward good grades — which can be be influenced by the home environment and supportive parents — because not all of students have access to equal amounts of academic and emotional support.

Simply change the system so everyone gets an "A" in every class by default. Then they can all attend the awards ceremony.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 08:14 PM)

Goddamnit America.

LOL at not having an honors program for fear of upsetting the kids who don't make it. Better get rid of all team sports and grades while we're at it. Everyone gets a participant ribbon and a diploma, and there's no reason to rise to the top at anything.

I actually dont care. People who are smart and good at school, usually know that, and dont need plastic ribbons and award ceremonies.

I guess in my opinion if you truly are the best, you are going to rise to the top anyways, because most people who are that good, dont really care what other people think.

Not to mention grades are subjective and I hate awards based on subjectivity.

Now if its a true competition (standardized test, sport, etc) then of course they deserve to be ranked/rewarded/etc. But as long as grades are based on nonsense like "class participation" and "attendance" they really mean nothing. And I honestly believe that they should be scrapped.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 09:14 PM)

Now this is just silly.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 12:00 PM)
Someone didn't make the honor roll!

:lol:

This reminds me of how back in like, second grade, I was scolded for reading a 5th grade level or something and being visibly proud of the fact.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 12:00 PM)
Someone didn't make the honor roll!

I was on the honor roll ever year. When I was in 1st grade, I was split with the other "smart" kids, and from then on we had different special classes 1 time a day, we had a different more advanced math class. I didnt need a ribbon to know that.

I just never cared because most of the kids in (I forget the stupid name of it, but its in HS where you do community service, etc to get an award) it were dumb as rocks. I only cared about my AP test scores and my ACT/SAT. Grades were ridiculous, we all have over 4.0s because our classes are out of 5.0.

Not really a challenge or anything to be proud of.

Edited by Soxbadger

When people have to be fearful of offending anyone and everyone for whatever reason, this is the result you get. We're a nation of gigantic p*****s with no backbone. If my kid missed the honor roll and felt bad about it i'd say make the f***ing honor roll and you won't feel bad about it anymore.

Why not just actually have school based on objective testing?

Grades are subjective p**** bulls*** to begin with.

Honor roll is nothing more than subjective nonsense. Anyone who has ever been highly ranked in a class understands that its politics and bulls***.

I want to be Valedictorian, oh noes I have an accelerated class that is a out of 4.5 instead of 5.0, Ill take that class pass/fail so that it wont drop my gpa.

Thats just stupid manipulation and anyone that thinks that makes America less of a p**** to allow it is silly.

Tests or nothing.

But then again, Im sure a bunch of p*****s are afraid of their entire lives coming down to 1 test.

lol

We can all throw nonsense out, its just stupid. School grades are pointless, once you are at the top, its easy to see.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 12:16 PM)
Why not just actually have school based on objective testing?

Grades are subjective p**** bulls*** to begin with.

Honor roll is nothing more than subjective nonsense. Anyone who has ever been highly ranked in a class understands that its politics and bulls***.

I want to be Valedictorian, oh noes I have an accelerated class that is a out of 4.5 instead of 5.0, Ill take that class pass/fail so that it wont drop my gpa.

Thats just stupid manipulation and anyone that thinks that makes America less of a p**** to allow it is silly.

Tests or nothing.

But then again, Im sure a bunch of p*****s are afraid of their entire lives coming down to 1 test.

lol

We can all throw nonsense out, its just stupid. School grades are pointless, once you are at the top, its easy to see.

Most grades are not subjective. Writing, sure (even then i'm sure you'll have teachers debate this with you since most assignments have objective requirements that have to be met. Style is about the only subjective part of it). But math, science, grammar/vocab tests, etc are all objectively measured. You get the problem/question right or you don't.

Grading is also the best way for third parties to measure your intelligence. How else would colleges know if you're average or above average?

Edited by Jenksismybitch