Sox-Giants Spring Training game thread 2/25

southsider2k5

Not Me!

I have never been more excited about spring training in my entire life!!!

I love the White Sox and enjoy hearing what the front office is up to, even when they bring in yet another 3rd baseman! I am stoked!

Keep it going!

I am looking forward to learning about team assignments, and getting out to some games. If money were no object I would be hanging on the the fences right now!

Edited by floridafan

QUOTE (floridafan @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 08:13 PM)
Not Me!

I have never been more excited about spring training in my entire life!!!

I love the White Sox and enjoy hearing what the front office is up to, even when they bring in yet another 3rd baseman! I am stoked!

Keep it going!

I am looking forward to learning about team assignments, and getting out to some games. If money were no object I would be hanging on the the fences right now!

Love your enthusiasm

I think there are 3 reasons why this spring training isn't that interesting...

1) It's way too long. I can't sustain interest in fake baseball for 5+ weeks.

2) There aren't any new exciting additions. Keppinger may turn out to be a great player for the Sox, but he's not a reason to watch.

3) We pretty much know the 25-man roster right now. There's very little chance a young player can break with the team.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 02:26 PM)
I honestly just can't stand it because it doesn't count for anything. The only mildly interesting thing is getting to see prospects play.

First it is nice to see some live baseball again, second it is cool to see all of the things we spent the winter arm-wrestling over, being put into motion.

I think there are 3 reasons why this spring training isn't that interesting...

1) It's way too long. I can't sustain interest in fake baseball for 5+ weeks.

2) There aren't any new exciting additions. Keppinger may turn out to be a great player for the Sox, but he's not a reason to watch.

3) We pretty much know the 25-man roster right now. There's very little chance a young player can break with the team.

4.) The Tigers have much more talent than the Sox and it is unlikely that we can compete with them this season.

I just watched Castellanos, their LF blast an opposite filed home run off the Phillies Papelbon like he was hitting a hitting practice pitcher. Casteallanos, Austin Jackson and Tori Hunter in the outfield, Prince and Miguel Cabrera at first and third, VMart at DH , etc, gives them a frmidable line-up. Then of course their rotation is stronger than the Sox.

There will be more Detroit fans at our home games vs. Detroit this season than Sox fans.

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 05:57 PM)
4.) The Tigers have much more talent than the Sox and it is unlikely that we can compete with them this season.

I just watched Castellanos, their LF blast an opposite filed home run off the Phillies Papelbon like he was hitting a hitting practice pitcher. Casteallanos, Austin Jackson and Tori Hunter in the outfield, Prince and Miguel Cabrera at first and third, VMart at DH , etc, gives them a frmidable line-up. Then of course their rotation is stronger than the Sox.

There will be more Detroit fans at our home games vs. Detroit this season than Sox fans.

Yeah, they'll definitely win the division by ~12 games, just like last year. You can tell because of that spring training home run!

This one time, Joe Borchard hit a home run, and that wasn't even spring training! You can imagine my excitement

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 02:57 PM)

Nick Castellanos is not going to be their LFer this year. On top of that, he put up an incredible .678 OPS last year in AA after being promoted from A+ (where he absolutely destroyed the pitching).

Also not sure how this has anything to do with why you don't enjoy Spring Training, but seems to have more to do with why you aren't going to enjoy the season, even though not a single game has been played yet.

(Oh, and the Sox lineup is just fine and, in fact, scored more runs than the Tigers did last year even though they had the Triple Crown winner in the middle of their lineup. The pitching staff is just fine too, considering they allowed 6 more runs than the Tigers all year, lost Brett Myers and Francisco Liriano (not concerned), and bring back Danks this season)

((I will never stop loving people who freak out about the season during the first few games of Spring Training though. That just might be my favorite part))

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 02:57 PM)

I don't see any reason for the Sox to field a team this year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 04:11 PM)
I don't see any reason for the Sox to field a team this year.

But this is why you don't like ST!

8-0 with non starters in the game and it can get ugly fast. And when the primary goal is not to win, but to see how your prospects deal with adversity, it can get a fan down! lol.

Giants are putting up some crooked numbers!

Edited by floridafan

My feeling about the Tigers...ignore them.

The Sox don't play them until July. I want the Sox to get their 89th win before the season ends. If they get to 89, they'll either win a weak division or win the 2nd wildcard. If the 2nd wildcard is the best the Sox can do, I'll take it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 04:16 PM)
My feeling about the Tigers...ignore them.

The Sox don't play them until July. I want the Sox to get their 89th win before the season ends. If they get to 89, they'll either win a weak division or win the 2nd wildcard. If the 2nd wildcard is the best the Sox can do, I'll take it.

Ugly inning 9-0 ...

Top of 4

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 10:04 PM)
Yeah, they'll definitely win the division by ~12 games, just like last year. You can tell because of that spring training home run!

This one time, Joe Borchard hit a home run, and that wasn't even spring training! You can imagine my excitement

The sky is falling in game 3 of the spring training schedule. I have questions that need answering: Konerko hasn't hit a homer yet- is he through? Carlos Sanchez made an error is he overhyped? Santiago and Reinzo got blasted - are they just flash in the pans? Veal got touched up for a run - is he washed up? I love spring training

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 03:18 PM)
More afraid of Cleveland. They're 4-0 to starting Spring Training. They are for real dog.

An Indians' beat writer actually said this current team reminds him of the Indians teams in the 90s. Talk about someone who is going to be dissappointed.