NIT

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 06:07 PM)
I'm guessing he was referring to a certain time when Tyler Griffey was able to take an uncontested layup at the end of a game....

Why would you zone in that situation and give someone a clean look at a game winning shot? Obviously it didn't work out as planned in the game you mentioned, but that was due to a communication issue.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
Holy Tom Crean! How is Kentucky going to manage the roster. They currently have two seniors listed on their roster and Noel. They now have 7 commits. That's double the match Tom Crean has to make work and Kentucky is not a state known for it's math skills.

That's the wrong way to look at it because it assumes everyone is at the scholarship limit. The better way is to look at returning players. Indiana has 10 scholarship players if absolutely everyone came back, Kentucky only has 8. Kentucky needs 1 player to leave besides Noel (although they're still recruiting).

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Iowa has Indiana State down by 16 and cruising (famous last words for Iowa fans this year, I know) with under 8 minutes remaining.

In another big NIT surprise, historical spoiler and 7th seed Stony Brook is beating UMASS by 11 on their home floor in the 2nd half.

Will be really interesting to see where that potential Iowa/Stony Brook game would be held. While I'd love to have a home game, I think it would really benefit the team for next season to be able to go into hostile territory and pull out any type of post-season victory, even if it's only the NIT, it's still helping for their development next year.

Now UMass has tightened the lead down to 6 with 7:39 to go.

Mercer is beating TENN by 6 in Knoxville at the half.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 06:35 PM)
That's the wrong way to look at it because it assumes everyone is at the scholarship limit. The better way is to look at returning players. Indiana has 10 scholarship players if absolutely everyone came back, Kentucky only has 8. Kentucky needs 1 player to leave besides Noel (although they're still recruiting).

That's why I am asking. Kentucky's roster shows 13 players. With 2 seniors and Noel leaving, are you saying they only have 11 on scholarship right now? That would take them down to 8 as you say. I don't know UK's roster. Who is on the 13 man roster but not on scholarship?

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 07:49 PM)
That's why I am asking. Kentucky's roster shows 13 players. With 2 seniors and Noel leaving, are you saying they only have 11 on scholarship right now? That would take them down to 8 as you say. I don't know UK's roster. Who is on the 13 man roster but not on scholarship?

Malone and Long. I don't think Lanter is either.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 07:49 PM)

Here is a scholarship chart I found via Google. Two of their sophomores aren't on scholarship, which puts them at 8 scholarship players. When Noel leaves that puts them at 7.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 06:55 PM)
Here is a scholarship chart I found via Google. Two of their sophomores aren't on scholarship, which puts them at 8 scholarship players. When Noel leaves that puts them at 7.

Makes sense. My question is how do you get 10 McDonald's All-Americans to play together as one. We shall see. I think it's a lot harder to do it without senior leadership than people think.

I would still guess at least one of those guys (Goodwin, Poythress or Cauley-Stein) will go. Most guys say they're staying/will evaluate their options right after the game. Then they do real research and Cal always advises them to go pro if they're a 1st rounder (which all of those guys are). Given their history, the odds of Kentucky still having like 12 rotation players is pretty slim. I do find that current situation pretty fascinating though.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 08:07 PM)
I would still guess at least one of those guys (Goodwin, Poythress or Cauley-Stein) will go. Most guys say they're staying/will evaluate their options right after the game. Then they do real research and Cal always advises them to go pro if they're a 1st rounder (which all of those guys are). Given their history, the odds of Kentucky still having like 12 rotation players is pretty slim. I do find that current situation pretty fascinating though.

It is fascinating. I think two of the three will end up leaving.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 08:00 PM)
Makes sense. My question is how do you get 10 McDonald's All-Americans to play together as one. We shall see. I think it's a lot harder to do it without senior leadership than people think.

I know they were super talented, but that's why I think Calipari actually did a great job of coaching last season. With 6 McDAAs, all sophomores & freshmen, he got them to play as a team, and most importantly, play defense. That's easier said than done with many kids like that.

Will be really interesting to see where that potential Iowa/Stony Brook game would be held. While I'd love to have a home game, I think it would really benefit the team for next season to be able to go into hostile territory and pull out any type of post-season victory, even if it's only the NIT, it's still helping for their development next year.

Normally the higher seed gets to host, but Iowa is hosting women's 1st-2nd round games Sunday-Tuesday (I only know this because it's where ND is playing) so unless they can have a quick turnaround and play Friday, it's probably going to have to be at Stony Brook.

I don't think any of them will go pro, but I think one or two of them might transfer, especially if Cal lets them go without having to sit out a year.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 21, 2013 -> 06:54 AM)
I don't think any of them will go pro, but I think one or two of them might transfer, especially if Cal lets them go without having to sit out a year.

Did I miss some new rule where coaches have that kind of authority? Once they're on campus, only the NCAA can grant waivers on that.

Iowa defeats Stony Brook handily at home, waiting to see whether they'll play UVA (1 seed) or St. John's next. Those two teams play Saturday.

Will be interesting to see if UVA gets the home game over Iowa, and 2) whether Iowa can knock off an NCAA-caliber, ACC team on the road.

Marble's really becoming quite the player. Not the dominant athlete his father was, but a much more versatile and well-rounded game.

Iowa defeats Stony Brook handily at home, waiting to see whether they'll play UVA (1 seed) or St. John's next. Those two teams play Saturday.

Will be interesting to see if UVA gets the home game over Iowa, and 2) whether Iowa can knock off an NCAA-caliber, ACC team on the road.

Marble's really becoming quite the player. Not the dominant athlete his father was, but a much more versatile and well-rounded game.

Virginia is the #1 seed, so they will get the game at home unless an arena scheduling conflict prevents it.

Iowa at UVA, 6 p.m. tonight.

NIT quarterfinals.

Baylor and Southern Miss also hosting games. Each of the winners goes to the NIT Final Four in MSG.

19-11 Hawkeyes about midway through the first half. Lots of 3 point shooting for both teams.

Iowa blew yet another 10 point lead but recaptured the momentum and now up by 6, 31-25. Under 4 timeout in 1st half.

Marble continues to play well and looks like a possible All Big 10 First Team pre-season pick for next season. 31-28 at half. UVA just made a huge 3 with 5 seconds remaining.

To be a truly dangerous team next year, Aaron White and Oglesby have got to get untracked from 3 point range.

But they'll go 11 deep and be able to play the style they want and impose their will on opponents next year a lot more.

Edited by caulfield12

Hawkeyes with their first quality road win of the season, at UVA, one of the last teams out.

According to many sources, Iowa was one of the final 6 teams cut from the NCAA's.

Even though it would have been awesome to hold that 33-20 lead against Michigan State, winning these three games (particularly on the road against UVA, where they've almost NEVER won a game on the road in the ACC/B10 Challenge) will do wonders for their confidence.

And they're still not getting anything from White and Oglesby on the perimeter.

Can't wait to see ISU/Iowa next season if Hoiberg's still around as coach.

75-64 Final Score.

HawkeyeNation

Real impressed with this Iowa team. What a big win for them, and for the future of this program. This is why the NIT CAN matter.

Marble with 24, has been on fire these three NIT games.

Iowa/Maryland in one semi-final on April 2nd, looking like BYU/Baylor in the other one at MSG.

Nice to get two extra ACC games there on the schedule for Iowa. Would have been fun to watch Iowa/Baylor, too.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 04:10 PM)
Hopefully Iowa doesn't play only HS teams in the non conf next year...

They blew 4 games against top big ten teams that they should have won. They didn't. They are moving in the right direction and would have been worthy of a birth. They are doing a nice job in the NIT and had a big road win against Virginia today (ending their long home winning streak).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 10:27 PM)
They blew 4 games against top big ten teams that they should have won. They didn't. They are moving in the right direction and would have been worthy of a birth. They are doing a nice job in the NIT and had a big road win against Virginia today (ending their long home winning streak).

They were an NCAA quality team but not an NCAA worthy team, if that makes sense.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 08:34 PM)
They were an NCAA quality team but not an NCAA worthy team, if that makes sense.

It does and I don't disagree. They had their opportunities to be NCAA worthy and failed in that regard. Still, I like what Fran has done and the team is headed in a nice direction and having Marble lead the team as a senior will be great to go with White, Woodbury, Gessel, etc.