6. Indiana State

2. UMass

7. Stony Brook

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, yeah.

Well, Iowa's still one player short right now.

Next year's the year, if McCaffrey doesn't make the NCAA's, he will be fired or have just one year remaining, but with such a young roster...and how well Alford has done at New Mexico, they should be careful they don't push him out too, right when he's starting to have some success rebuilding the program to the point where fans care again and are invested in the team for the first time in half a decade.

Going a long ways in the NIT's would benefit them more than losing in the first round of the NCAA's, although it still stings to have lost so many close games and had MSU down 33-20 and let it slip away.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 17, 2013 -> 06:10 PM)
Hopefully Iowa doesn't play only HS teams in the non conf next year...

There's two ways of looking at that.

They were one of the youngest teams in the country (May's the only player graduating), so they needed to build their confidence and pick up as many wins as possible.

Before the season, MOST Hawkeye fans weren't expecting an NCAA team until next year. So the early results got hopes up a bit too much, and then January happened.

In the end, they couldn't quite push through against the elite teams at home and they couldn't get a quality win on the road.

Having two freshman guards in Gesell and Clemmons as well as Marble get torn apart (like the last ten minutes of the quarterfinal game) game after game in the early non-conference wouldn't have done the team any favors at all in terms of development moving forward.

They were CLOSE, but just never managed to get that signature win OR knock out MSU when they were down 33-20 and Oglesby had a couple of looks at 3 to blow the game completely open. I think it would have been 48-33 had he connected on those two occasions.

But we have definitely scared the heck out of Wisconsin the last 3 seasons...a team we match up better with physically/athletically, compared to OSU, UM, MSU, IND and even Illinois or MN.

Edited by caulfield12

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-da...767--ncaab.html

I wonder if Calipari asked for that challenge, to go out on the road into hostile territory...? Or if Robert Morris can actually sell more tickets to host UK than they would have sold in Lexington to play a no-name team?

It's definitely an interesting match-up, to see how the Wildcats respond.

http://hawkcentral.com/2013/03/17/iowa-men...a-state-in-nit/

Iowa hosts Indiana State on ESPN2. Indiana State somehow beat Miami in December in OT but lost 6 of their final 8. Beaten by Creighton by 21 in post-season tourney.

Edited by caulfield12

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-da...767--ncaab.html

I wonder if Calipari asked for that challenge, to go out on the road into hostile territory...? Or if Robert Morris can actually sell more tickets to host UK than they would have sold in Lexington to play a no-name team?

It's definitely an interesting match-up, to see how the Wildcats respond.

http://hawkcentral.com/2013/03/17/iowa-men...a-state-in-nit/

Iowa hosts Indiana State on ESPN2. Indiana State somehow beat Miami in December in OT but lost 6 of their final 8. Beaten by Creighton by 21 in post-season tourney.

Kentucky is hosting 2nd-3rd round NCAA games so they can't host 1st or 2nd round NIT games.

Same thing happened to Illinois 3 or 4 years ago when they were the #1 seed and they had to play at Stony Brook in the 1st round. It's pretty cool for the small school to host these power conference teams which would never happen normally. (Although I believe Assembly Hall was hosting Cirque du Soleil, not the NCAA tourney :lol: )

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 07:44 PM)
Ha, ha, suck it Kentucky!

Where is that LIKE button?

EDIT: When I posted this originally, I didn't know Kentucky had actually lost. Now I am even HAPPIER!

One thing I have a problem with is what was in ESPN's recap of the game (many have made similar references, not just ESPN):

This batch of Wildcats (21-12) hasn't been the same since center Nerlens Noel went down with a devastating knee injury. Kentucky lost six of its final 10 games,

I'm sorry, but Kentucky wasn't worth a damn all year, before or after Noel got hurt!

Edited by Rex Hudler

Kentucky lands Julius Randle to go along with their 5 other 5* players for the 2013 class and unlike the 2012 class which was absolutely horrible nationally, the 2013 class is supposed to be a really strong class. Unfortunately Kentucky will be just fine and likely the overwhelming favorites to win the NCAA title at this time next year, especially if they somehow land Wiggins.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 01:59 PM)
Kentucky lands Julius Randle to go along with their 5 other 5* players for the 2013 class and unlike the 2012 class which was absolutely horrible nationally, the 2013 class is supposed to be a really strong class. Unfortunately Kentucky will be just fine and likely the overwhelming favorites to win the NCAA title at this time next year, especially if they somehow land Wiggins.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 02:15 PM)
It will be interesting to see how they fit all of these kids in. I don't think they are going to have as many kids who are able to make the NBA jump this time around.

Goodwin, Poythress and Cauley-Stein are all returning. They are bringing in 6 McDonald's All-Americans. And they also have Wiltjer and Harrow going to be just juniors. These kids are going to want to play right away, and the returnees are not going to want to lose PT to the new kids. I can not believe that that team will be able to coexist amongst itself

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 01:56 PM)
Goodwin, Poythress and Cauley-Stein are all returning. They are bringing in 6 McDonald's All-Americans. And they also have Wiltjer and Harrow going to be just juniors. These kids are going to want to play right away, and the returnees are not going to want to lose PT to the new kids. I can not believe that that team will be able to coexist amongst itself

Has this been confirmed?

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 03:50 PM)
Has this been confirmed?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)
Yeah, this is news to me.

And dear lord if they add Wiggins.

No. They said they were last night and most people seem to believe them. Cauley-Stein is the only one who mentioned leaving as a possibility. So they absolutely could still leave, but a lot of people seem to be taking their desire to stay seriously.

And last I heard on Wiggins is FSU is the favorite.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 05:42 AM)
Callipari apparently went to Tom Crean's class on why you don't need to play zone on an under the basket out of bounds like 99.9% of other coaches do.

Not sure what you mean. Crean almost always plays zone on out of bounds plays, to the point he gets criticized for it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
It will be interesting to see how they fit all of these kids in. I don't think they are going to have as many kids who are able to make the NBA jump this time around.

Holy Tom Crean! How is Kentucky going to manage the roster. They currently have two seniors listed on their roster and Noel. They now have 7 commits. That's double the match Tom Crean has to make work and Kentucky is not a state known for it's math skills.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 20, 2013 -> 06:04 PM)
Not sure what you mean. Crean almost always plays zone on out of bounds plays, to the point he gets criticized for it.

I'm guessing he was referring to a certain time when Tyler Griffey was able to take an uncontested layup at the end of a game....