Well, the first trade Peavy to the Dodgers article is here

caulfield12

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MEANS @ May 17, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
concerned over Jake's HR rate, then next sentence, states he pitchers in a hitters park and gave up 2 hr this year so far...huh?

I read that as he was pointing out that the increase in homers allowed was not due to park factors.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 17, 2013 -> 10:57 AM)
Do you need to disclose a conflict of interest here? :huh:

Haha...it seems like whenever someone writes an article that is very centric to another team and not our own, everyone gets all defensive and rude about it.

I just think it is funny the way people in here are dissecting this article...it's just basically an editorial by another team's fan...it's not a Jon Heyman or Ken Rosenthal or Jeff Passan article.

So probably not Puig, unless the Dodgers get really desperate, but Pederson would be a good possibility.

3. Corey Seager, ss

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...&pid=608369

4. Joc Pederson, of

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...&pid=592626

Those are the only logical players the Sox would target, if they're to trade Peavy EVENTUALLY.

Fathom has mentioned in the minor league reports about Pederson before. With Seager just having a decent but not dominant season in the Midwest League, it would be a tough call, but going with Pederson (who's much closer to the big leagues) would make a lot more sense, from the point of view of eventually having to replace Rios and the possibility of Viciedo moving to 1B/DH.

Not sure about his fielding...if he could play CF, he would 5X more valuable to the Sox.

Hopefully Trayce Thompson keeps maturing to the point where he becomes a legitimate option for that position and the White Sox have some leverage of their own to use against opposing teams looking to deal us an outfielder.

Honestly, I'd bet the Dodgers ownership group is about damn tired of bringing in expensive players and getting a s***ty return...I'm not expecting them to take on a whole lot more salary unless they really make a big move in the standings soon...

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 17, 2013 -> 12:41 PM)
Honestly, I'd bet the Dodgers ownership group is about damn tired of bringing in expensive players and getting a s***ty return...I'm not expecting them to take on a whole lot more salary unless they really make a big move in the standings soon...

It's an interesting question.

When do they start becoming "risk-averse" financially?

With so many new season ticket packages sold, they risk losing 25% of their "new" season ticket base if the team finishes with 70-75 wins.

They do have a slew of young pitching prospects, but how patient can they (and their fans) be waiting for them to develop and become consistent winners at the big league level?

As the writer pointed out, Capuano is just short-term. And they're really going to have to watch Ryu's weight at his age...but he's been pretty effective so far.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2013 -> 01:37 PM)
So probably not Puig, unless the Dodgers get really desperate, but Pederson would be a good possibility.

3. Corey Seager, ss

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...&pid=608369

4. Joc Pederson, of

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...&pid=592626

Those are the only logical players the Sox would target, if they're to trade Peavy EVENTUALLY.

Fathom has mentioned in the minor league reports about Pederson before. With Seager just having a decent but not dominant season in the Midwest League, it would be a tough call, but going with Pederson (who's much closer to the big leagues) would make a lot more sense, from the point of view of eventually having to replace Rios and the possibility of Viciedo moving to 1B/DH.

Not sure about his fielding...if he could play CF, he would 5X more valuable to the Sox.

Hopefully Trayce Thompson keeps maturing to the point where he becomes a legitimate option for that position and the White Sox have some leverage of their own to use against opposing teams looking to deal us an outfielder.

I'd think we could aim higher than Joc Pederson -- at least as a centerpiece. There are probably going to be a ton of teams looking for good pitching on a short-term, reasonable contract by the time we're ready to punt the season.

I actually asked Dave Cameron about the possibility of Peavy to the Orioles in a chat the other day. His opinion was that the Orioles wouldn't be able to make the best offer without including Gausman/Bundy. That's just one guy's opinion, but he tends to be really conservative, so it's a promising one.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 17, 2013 -> 10:38 AM)
The problem is that you are talking about trading him in the middle of the season...this is no longer the FA period.

No one is saying he'd be difficult to move...the author flat-out states that there would be plenty of other suitors...he just thinks the Dodgers would have an advantage because of their deep pockets.

Reading this paragraph, and then the ones that follow, I believe he is referring to the price to trade for Peavy, ie; the players that would go the Sox in this scenario, and NOT Peavy's contract.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2013 -> 12:47 PM)
Reading this paragraph, and then the ones that follow, I believe he is referring to the price to trade for Peavy, ie; the players that would go the Sox in this scenario, and NOT Peavy's contract.

If that's the case, it's not very clear.

I was expecting to see some names mentioned, as he mentions nearly the entire Dodgers' minor league pitching corps.

A little weird in this day and age he didn't go ahead and propose some hypothetical trades just to add some more speculative "ooomph."

Edited by caulfield12

I think Puig is aiming too high anyway, but we also can;t forget about all the money attached to him. The Dodgers have him because they were willing to pay more than anyone else. And although he's a slightly safer bet now that everyone's seen him, I don;t think the Sox are one of the few teams that can justify tying that much money up in a prospect.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2013 -> 11:47 AM)

Who knows...I am done commenting on whatever the guy meant...at the very least, it has made for some discussion on a boring friday morning...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2013 -> 01:49 PM)
If that's the case, it's not very clear.

I was expecting to see some names mentioned, as he mentions nearly the entire Dodgers' minor league pitching corps.

A little weird in this day and age he didn't go ahead and propose some hypothetical trades just to add some more speculative "ooomph."

The Dodgers likely won't be the only team knocking on the White Sox's door before the trade deadline. Peavy's high price tag could give the Dodgers the edge in potential trade talks.

No matter where Peavy goes, they'll definitely get a better return for him now than they gave up for him in 2009.

Acquiring Peavy could mean a logjam in the rotation going forward. Zach Lee should be ready by mid-2014 (if he isn't traded) and Ross Stripling (scouting report) is making a meteoric rise through the system. Magill is no slouch, even if his last two starts have been less-than-impressive. Chris Reed, who I'm not particularly high on, could also be ready in some fashion in 2014.

It goes from "Peavy's high price tag", to what the Sox gave up for him, to a talking about prospects. Tough to tell what exactly he means (is he not appreciating what pitching costs in 2013, or is talking about trade return), but I think he might mean return, though it could be either.

FWIW, Yahoo! has taken on a bevy of freelancers like myself on a provisional basis. So far, only a couple of us have made it past the provisional stage. They have some folks that do a nice job and some that won't continue to write for much longer.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 17, 2013 -> 07:33 PM)
FWIW, Yahoo! has taken on a bevy of freelancers like myself on a provisional basis. So far, only a couple of us have made it past the provisional stage. They have some folks that do a nice job and some that won't continue to write for much longer.

Not trying to toot my own horn by the way, just explaining how it works. I'm not perfect and learn every day as I shift from news copy (my niche really) and academic writing to editorial type. I think I do well, but I can get better (will be happy to field criticism also).