Tyler Flowers vs. Hector Gimenez

pettie4sox

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 10:32 PM)
Gimenez please. Hes terrible but so much less terrible.

I think Gimenez is a fine catcher. I'm not sure where you see terrible in the guy. He hits when he needs to and defends the plate well.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clamoring for Gimenez because of Flowers' poor defense is quite ironic given Gimenez's 4 in less than a third of the playing time. He'd be at 12 or 13 otherwise.

Just be glad Hank White isn't the Sox backup, because 8 past balls in 13 games is not so good.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 08:37 AM)
Clamoring for Gimenez because of Flowers' poor defense is quite ironic given Gimenez's 4 in less than a third of the playing time. He'd be at 12 or 13 otherwise.

Just be glad Hank White isn't the Sox backup, because 8 past balls in 13 games is not so good.

I am not really clamoring for Gimenez but I do think they should split 50/50 behind the plate at this point.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 09:50 AM)
I am not really clamoring for Gimenez but I do think they should split 50/50 behind the plate at this point.

Why? Neither of them have been solid on defense, Flowers is younger, has been hitting better lately, and their overall season numbers aren't very different any more.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 08:50 AM)

Gimenez is a career minor leaguer and merely a warm body behind the plate. Tyler Flowers, as a young player in the minors, at least showed the ability to be a good player. There's no reason he shouldn't be getting the bulk of the playing time between those two.

Put another way, the team is not likely to win or contend. They will not contend with Gimenez behind the plate because we know exactly what Hector Gimenez is at this point. They have a chance to contend with Tyler Flowers behind the plate because of his potential, but his struggles are doing the same amount of harm as playing Gimenez full time. At this point, you may as well play your lottery ticket, and if nothing comes of it, then you eventually throw it away and buy another.

I'm confused. I just want to know people's definition of a MLB catcher versus a minor league one. Before Flowers' offensive explosion this month he was terrible at the plate... not saying Gimenez is superior in that regard but it from what I've seen, Gimenez can sac fly and get an RBI when he needs to. I specifically remember in the Seattle series that he blocked the plate so that Seager couldn't score when Rios gunned him out. Flowers has potential but until he grows a pair he needs reduced time. If anything, he'll maybe want to fight for his starting job back and play better because he has been god awful at this point. Do you know how many times he's tried to backhand s*** when he should be blocking it with his body and how many runs it has costed? It has happened way too many times this season for my liking.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)
I'm confused. I just want to know people's definition of a MLB catcher versus a minor league one. Before Flowers' offensive explosion this month he was terrible at the plate... not saying Gimenez is superior in that regard but it from what I've seen, Gimenez can sac fly and get an RBI when he needs to. I specifically remember in the Seattle series that he blocked the plate so that Seager couldn't score when Rios gunned him out. Flowers has potential but until he grows a pair he needs reduced time. If anything, he'll maybe want to fight for his starting job back and play better because he has been god awful at this point. Do you know how many times he's tried to backhand s*** when he should be blocking it with his body and how many runs it has costed? It has happened way too many times this season for my liking.

Prior to this season, Hector Gimenez had 19 plate appearances in the major leagues. He's 30 years old, meaning he's at the end of his "prime." He spent 10 seasons and amassed 3604 plate appearances in the minors for 5 different organizations.

This is why I refer to Hector Gimenez as a minor leaguer, because that's all he's been. His career minor league OPS is .736.

Oh, and Flowers is already fighting for his starting job. If you don't think he knows what Phegley's doing in the minors, you're crazy.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 09:23 AM)
Prior to this season, Hector Gimenez had 19 plate appearances in the major leagues. He's 30 years old, meaning he's at the end of his "prime." He spent 10 seasons and amassed 3604 plate appearances in the minors for 5 different organizations.

This is why I refer to Hector Gimenez as a minor leaguer, because that's all he's been. His career minor league OPS is .736.

Oh, and Flowers is already fighting for his starting job. If you don't think he knows what Phegley's doing in the minors, you're crazy.

I see what you mean. Would you say Gimenez has done poor on the major league considering his limited experience?

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 09:26 AM)
I see what you mean. Would you say Gimenez has done poor on the major league considering his limited experience?

He's done all that's been asked of him and has been a perfectly adequate backup catcher. The idea of playing him more is what's scary.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 10:26 AM)

No. He's done a solid job this season so far as a backup catcher. OPS around .700, does an ok job of handling the staff.

The passed balls are something of a worry, but it looks like both catchers practiced that skill as much in ST as anyone else practiced their job this season.