6-7 GT....Lets Sale to a W!!!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 02:53 AM)
Honestly, opening day 2015, I don't want any of this starting 9 there.

Been saying this for a while. Beckham and possibly Viciedo might be the only ones that I could see still being a starter.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 08:55 PM)
95 losses is within realm of possibility as they have played one of the easiest schedules in MLB thus far.

Easy to say in the throws of a losing streak, which every team faces eventually. Were you calling for 95 losses before this streak? I don't recall as much. The 1983 team was heading for a similar fate right around this time, and how did that eventually turn out? The point is, the range of the "realm of possibility" remains quite large at this point in the season.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 03:02 AM)
Easy to say in the throws of a losing streak, which every team faces eventually. Were you calling for 95 losses before this streak? I don't recall as much. The 1983 team was heading for a similar fate right around this time, and how did that eventually turn out? The point is, the range of the "realm of possibility" remains quite large at this point in the season.

This team has shown no signs of breaking out of their season long hitting slump. The starting pitching started off great, but even that has fallen off (and you have Peavy being out as well). It's very difficult to imagine this team ending the season within 10 games of the Tigers. There's just way too big of a talent difference between the two teams.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 09:00 PM)
Been saying this for a while. Beckham and possibly Viciedo might be the only ones that I could see still being a starter.

Gillaspie's finally getting exposed, too.

Although you have to like that nice, compact swing, especially against RHP.

The Dodgers line-up is horrible without Kemp, Crawford and Hanley, but at least they still have Puig and Adrian Gonzalez who are fun to watch.

We don't have a single hitter right now you would pay to watch. Maybe Beckham, just for nostalgia's sake.

And with DeAza continuing to play like he's a member of the Keystone Kops, I'd honestly rather see Jared Mitchell out there. I don't care if he hits .150, it would be more fun than watching Wells, Jordan Danks, Dunn, etc.

It's hard enough to watch Paulie's career ending like this.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 10:02 PM)

Every team almost loses 10 games straight while scoring almost no runs? Not sure about that.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 08:58 PM)
yep, really sucks Peavy got hurt, as it will do this franchise no good having him on the roster this year and next.

I still think it's 75% he can come back effectively in July and be traded for a nice return.

Crosses fingers.

I think it's pretty obvious we have one of the worst teams in baseball. This is the year the Sox definitely finish last in the Central.

Viciedo is truly disappointing. I thought he was a young stud. He's just another selfish hitter who swings as hard as he can and usually misses. Very very disappointing.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 09:04 PM)
This team has shown no signs of breaking out of their season long hitting slump. The starting pitching started off great, but even that has fallen off (and you have Peavy being out as well). It's very difficult to imagine this team ending the season within 10 games of the Tigers. There's just way too big of a talent difference between the two teams.

Points well taken, Fathom, as always. I'm just not willing to rush to any conclusions yet on a team that's going through a bad streak. I know the team has it's shortcomings, but I'd rather evaluate them in a more normalized stretch of the season.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 10:02 PM)

Believe what you want to believe.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 10:08 PM)
Points well taken, Fathom, as always. I'm just not willing to rush to any conclusions yet on a team that's going through a bad streak. I know the team has it's shortcomings, but I'd rather evaluate them in a more normalized stretch of the season.

We're more than 1/3 way through the season. How much do you need to see? 2/3?

It's not mid-April anymore.

In fact, I would rather watch After Earth than the Sox, because watching one of the worst movies ever made is still better than watching the White Sox right now.

Anyone care to speculate on Danks' fate tomorrow?

Between Peavy's injury, Floyd going down, Dunn's return to 2011, Konerko's body failing, Viciedo disappointing....there's just nothing to like right now. Then there's Flowers, DeAza and Ramirez playing like they've never received any formal instruction, it's just one thing after another with this team. All of the back end of the bullpen collapsing at roughly the same time (Jones/Veal/Heath/Omogrosso), Veal being a one year wonder, the entire minor league system other than Erik Johnson and Micah Johnson sucking, etc.

Maybe watching Beckham try to resuscitate his career, or Hector Santiago getting an opportunity to start without having to look over his shoulder every time out on the mound.

First we have had to put up with Dunn for all this time, putting up with this version of John Danks for 3 1/2 more seasons is going to be hard to stomach if he doesn't come out of this.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 04:08 AM)

Fair enough, I don't think any trades will happen for a few weeks at the earliest. I know we're all frustrated, as this is one of the worst stretches of games most of us have seen for the Sox. At this point, I'm just rooting for everyone to stay healthy and for guys like Beckham/Flowers/Viciedo/Santiago/Quintana to show continued development and for our veterans to maintain their trade value. If Dunn and Konerko want to pull a Kerry Wood and retire mid-season, then I hope they feel free to do so.

Can you imagine Robin Ventura's mood after his daughter graduates and he has to fly back and resume managing this team? It has to be putting him in a deep depression thinking about returning to this hodgepodge of horrible baseball talent.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 03:13 AM)
Can you imagine Robin Ventura's mood after his daughter graduates and he has to fly back and resume managing this team? It has to be putting him in a deep depression thinking about returning to this hodgepodge of horrible baseball talent.

Think of it this way, it's been almost 2 full weeks since he got to shake his players' hands and tell them "nice win".

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 09:09 PM)

I understand that. I also understand that before this streak, we were a .500 ballclub that had not yet played anywhere near as well as it could play, as it played last year when it was in first place for most of the season. Now I'm not delusional - we are not going to catch that Detroit ballclub this year. I'd just rather judge the team in it's entirety outside of this streak when the team is playing in a more normal course of play.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 10:15 PM)
I understand that. I also understand that before this streak, we were a .500 ballclub that had not yet played anywhere near as well as it could play, as it played last year when it was in first place for most of the season. Now I'm not delusional - we are not going to catch that Detroit ballclub this year. I'd just rather judge the team in it's entirety outside of this streak when the team is playing in a more normal course of play.

Says who? Hawk can keep saying this, but at some point, your team is what it is, not what you think it could be.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 10:09 PM)

I hate to think of what the run differential will be in those 19 games against the Tigers. -45 perhaps?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 09:17 PM)
Says who? Hawk can keep saying this, but at some point, your team is what it is, not what you think it could be.

Says the 2012 season. This is, for the most part, that same team, the same team who was in first place for the majority of the season, and save the abysmal late season collapse in those final two weeks, would have won the division with around 90 wins.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 8, 2013 -> 04:17 AM)
I hate to think of what the run differential will be in those 19 games against the Tigers. -45 perhaps?

I would think if Detroit cares about beating us, they'll go 14-5 versus the Sox. Maybe 15-4. But chances are they won't be able to get up for the Sox and it'll probably end up 11-8. Although in typing that last sentence I certainly can't envision a scenario in which we actually win 8 games against anybody much less Detroit.