Puig-Mania Thread

caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 08:34 PM)
There's a lot of competition that has a two month head start, but obviously if he keeps it up...

Gyorko and Everth Cabrera with SD, Ryu on his own team, AJ Pollock, Tony Cingrani...and then the two favorites in Evan Gattis and Shelby Miller.

If the Dodgers come back to make the playoffs, anything's possible.

I wasn't implying he would win the ROY or MVP. I was saying that the start of the seasons were similar with the fantastic stats. He needs to show it over a much longer period of time. How many teams has he even seen twice let alone three or four times.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 07:22 AM)
Puig's BABIP currently stands at .513. If he sustains that, maybe he is Roberto Clemente Jr.

That would be bad.

Both of his sons were pretty much terrible ballplayers, although they've both done a ton of work for charity and the Roberto Clemente Sports City in San Juan.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 08:29 AM)
That would be bad.

Both of his sons were pretty much terrible ballplayers, although they've both done a ton of work for charity and the Roberto Clemente Sports City in San Juan.

Maybe he is a long-lost son from another mother?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 06:46 AM)
I wasn't implying he would win the ROY or MVP. I was saying that the start of the seasons were similar with the fantastic stats. He needs to show it over a much longer period of time. How many teams has he even seen twice let alone three or four times.

I'll just say this, and I've watched about 50% of his ab's now.

The adjustment by the league to him has been to throw him sliders and cutters down and away, getting him to fish out of the zone and preying upon his aggressiveness/impatience (4 walks still) and lack of strike zone command.

With that said, he's adjusted right back. Six of his eight homers have been to the opposite field. He has moved a BIT closer to the plate than when he first came up, but that's the only difference I've noticed.

On one of his GW-RBI's, he still was able to yank/get around a slider low and away off the plate and actually pull it on the ground between 3B and SS. Even with shorter arms for someone of his height, he has the frame to cover even five inches outside if he needs to.

Basically, he's the anti-Dunn. The shift other teams have been using is to play him like a LH pull hitter.

Eventually, they'll take the other track and bust him inside with fastballs, once again, off the plate, and see what damage he does there...as his stroke has been that inside-out opposite field one, except for hanging offspeed stuff over the plate that he's lift-pulled to left.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 07:33 AM)
Maybe he is a long-lost son from another mother?

That's starting to sound like a bad Adam Sandler screenplay that somehow gets produced simply because Sandler's involved and nobody has the courage to say no to his face...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 08:29 PM)
3/5, single, double, homer, #8....6 of them to the right side of the field, 17 RBI's, 2 K's

47/106=.443

Also had an excellent running catch where he must have covered 60 yards to snag it all the way in front of the 1B stands, sprinting in full stride.

Second game in a row he's going to have a shot at the cycle in his final AB. Last time, he K'ed, fishing for a FB high and inside out of the zone.

Isn't left field a little more than 60 yards away from the 1B stands? :P

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 07:39 AM)
Isn't left field a little more than 60 yards away from the 1B stands? :P

Watch the video of that catch and tell me how many yards or feet you think he covered from start to finish...

And yes, he's going to be playing RF sometimes until they can figure out what to do with Crawford and Ethier. They're minting money out there, so who knows, maybe they won't even trade Ethier or try to add a SS and shift Hanley Ramirez back to 3B. (And Uribe's been playing much better recently with Kemp and Hanley back, probably not a coincidence).

The best alignment's Kemp in CF, Crawford in LF and Puig in RF, IMO.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)
It's a joke dude, just giving you s***

I think with marty having disappeared and Greg only doing "hit and run" comments in the middle of the night, there's nobody left to pick on or try to agitate.

Haven't even seen much of Dick Allen these days, either.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 11:06 AM)
I think with marty having disappeared and Greg only doing "hit and run" comments in the middle of the night, there's nobody left to pick on or try to agitate.

Haven't even seen much of Dick Allen these days, either.

What ever happened to Marty anyway, was he suspended? I thought he was very annoying, as others did I'm sure.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 11:39 AM)
Check out Dick with the bold predictions.

Taking a page from the flavum handbook...

Assuming he gets about 350 PA for the next 3 months, he would have to go 135/350 to hit .400 on the button.

A .386 average for the rest the year.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/why-fox-needs-yas...-201025479.html

Why Fox needs Yasiel Puig for the All-Star game.

Today, he was the first player in MLB history to be named Player of the Month for his debut month in the big leagues.

http://espn.go.com/espys/2013/vote/?id=9402507&lang=en

ESPN has already nominated him for an ESPY for Breakthrough Performance/Athlete, along with Trout, Johnny Manziel, Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 05:00 PM)
FOX doesnt need Puig for the All-Star games because for the most part no one gives a crap about the ASG.

The argument was that Harper and Trout helped reverse a downward trend, even though it was a rise of only 3.1 to 3.2 in ratings share.

One thing's for sure, the t.v. ratings in LA alone would skyrocket, and that alone would make it worthwhile for FOX advertising locally/regionally/nationally.

Edited by caulfield12

Another double and run scored.

48/109=.440 (essentially 4/9)

New strategy, former Angel Tyler Chatwood has started busting Puig inside with fastballs. Struck out on one that was a good 6-8 inches inside, should have been his 5th walk.

Puig just made an incredible catch crashing into the fence at Coors Field to preserve the lead...fell down on the ground after throwing the ball back to the IF, looked to be a left upper hamstring or hip injury, doing wind sprints across the outfield. Mattingly let him stay in the game, seems he tweaked it. Want to see the replay again.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 08:13 PM)
Okay that was a heck of a play by him in RF tonight.

YEP, sac fly, RBI #18. Puig now out of the game after that at-bat, hopefully just a precautionary measure, has to be really sore. Steve Lyons calling it a charley horse/bruise/contusion.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?g...mp;mode=gameday

Puig video highlight there, as well as scoring from 2B on an infield error (ball got away from Helton) where he just kept running.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20..._la&c_id=la

Listed as day-to-day with bruised left hip and thigh tightness. X-rays negative.

JP Howell was late for about 5 minutes to the game today (the game time was 30 minutes earlier for July 4th) and Skip Schumaker hid behind all of his clothes and grabbed him and scared the hell out of JP and everyone laughed because he jumped about 3 feet in the error and freaked out. Too bad no hidden camera footage. Maybe it will come out from someone's cell phone or twitter.

''You're getting to be where you kind of expect him to do something all the time,'' said Mattingly, who compares his slugger to a young Ken Griffey Jr. ''If he doesn't get a hit or get on base, you're like, 'What's going on?' It's amazing.''

Puig is only the fifth player to win both awards in the same month since the rookie honor was introduced in 2001. The last player to accomplish the feat was Los Angeles Angels outfielder Mike Trout in July 2012.

''Whatever league that I'm in I'm going to do the best I can,'' Puig said Tuesday after going 3 for 5 with a homer to begin July just as torrid as he left off in June.

Puig certainly left quite an impression on Rockies reliever Adam Ottavino, who served up his solo homer on Tuesday. Ottavino tried to throw a slider low and away to Puig, only to have him hit it over the fence in the deepest part of Coors Field.

''It's not a pitch you get hit for a home run that often. It was impressive,'' Ottavino said. ''He's so strong. That's evident. I really don't think he got all of it and it went really far.

''When he hit it, I saw his bat flip, so I knew he thought he got it. I didn't think he got it. When I turned around, I was like, 'Oh, yeah, I guess he did get it.'''

www.yahoo.com/sports

Edited by caulfield12

Amazing catch and throw in RF when he was playing for Cienfuegos in Cuba.

Batting practice/prospect video from Rancho Cucamonga

http://www.vinscullyismyhomeboy.com/2013/0...irt-yasiel.html

Cienfuegos Elephantes highlights of PUIG

seekaywhi 4 weeks ago

I'm not really trying to get in a fight with you but I think "it's hilarious" that you think Puig is our best player in the majors after one night. Either way, keeping him in the minors for 20 days (although he was down longer, that you can argue against and I'm all with you) so you can keep him in the majors for a whole year longer makes more sense regardless of how much money the Dodgers have in the bank.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 08:44 AM)
Only 1 for his last 7 and "slumping," haha.

Has tumbled from .449 to .430.

Erratic, inconsistent play is reminiscent of Greg775 in high school.

Wait, weren't you the one who was just upset about people picking on you?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)
Wait, weren't you the one who was just upset about people picking on you?

It's different if I KNOW the person and we joke around with each other and know each other's posting tendencies...

Now, if someone wants to bring my personal life into this and make judgments without even knowing me at all, that's a completely different matter altogether.

I'll just put it this way, I've invited Greg to go to a Royals game before when I was in KC. He is 100% aware of when I am joking about something, and I wouldn't care if he said the same thing about me.

Edited by caulfield12