Puig-Mania Thread

caulfield12

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 11:20 AM)
DEFENSIVELY, yes. Although it's very close with Trout playing there now for the Angels.

If Bourjos is playing in LF (he should be in CF), then I would be happy to give it to him, although he lacks Puig's arm strength, he's a superior defender overall.

You cannot say that after the kid has played less than a month in the majors. That is all.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)
Dan Johnson is the best hitter in the major leagues based on my opinion of him in game 162 from last year

Fine, we'll revisit this thread at the end of 2014 and see if I'm right.

I think I will be...although I believe Ethier will be dumped, with the final alignment Crawford in LF, Kemp in CF and Puig in RF eventually.

So I'll state that he will be the best LF or RF in baseball at the end of the 2014...I already embrace it, but you're welcome to your healthy skepticism.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)
1.8 WAR in just 90 PA.

I'll say it again.

My favorite all-time player is Roberto Clemente...and Puig's the closest I've seen in my lifetime, although he's quite a bit bigger and will hit more homers than triples.

Same position.

Nobody has Clemente's arm, but he's got a gun.

In my lifetime, Sammy Sosa, in his first 2-3 years in the big leagues, before the steroids when he was THE PANTHER, and Vladimir Guerrero (never had the Clemente speed/dynamic athleticism) are the two most reminiscent. Eric Davis, a little bit, when he first came up with Reds in 1984-85.

Puig is the one that comes closest.

The best part is how far he has to come before the signing is even a break even deal. People forget about the money spent when these guys come up as a prospect. He has to do SO MUCH before he starts to chip away at the huge investment. Think about a guy like Yu Darvish, who has such a long road to earning the money spent on him (much of which he didn't even get)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
Dan Johnson is the best hitter in the major leagues based on my opinion of him in game 162 from last year

Since October 3, Dan Johnson leads the majors in OPS with a staggering 3.000

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
The best part is how far he has to come before the signing is even a break even deal. People forget about the money spent when these guys come up as a prospect. He has to do SO MUCH before he starts to chip away at the huge investment. Think about a guy like Yu Darvish, who has such a long road to earning the money spent on him (much of which he didn't even get)

Some people were arguing Chris Sale could/would be worth nearly $30 million JUST in this one year...

So I don't think it's going to be difficult for Puig to earn $42 million.

Isn't that less the Cubs spent on Fukudome?

Two out, based loaded 2-RBI (possible game-winning) single on an 0-2 count to take the lead back from the Phillies in the bottom of the 7th inning. Offered on two sliders, on the third (once against, down low and away) he adjusted.

.427, 7 HR's, 16 RBI's

7/14 with RISP

"MV-PUIG" Dodgers fans are chanting.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?g...&mode=video

http://shop.mlb.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2455382

So many t-shirts and jerseys already. AZUL SENSACION (Blue Sensation), YAISIEL SABE (Yasiel Knows), VIVA PUIG, haha.

Pretty cool ideas from the marketing department. Those Nike "Herotage" shirts are cool, too.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)
I'll say it again.

My favorite all-time player is Roberto Clemente...and Puig's the closest I've seen in my lifetime, although he's quite a bit bigger and will hit more homers than triples.

Same position.

In my lifetime, Sammy Sosa, in his first 2-3 years in the big leagues, before the steroids when he was THE PANTHER, and Vladimir Guerrero (never had the Clemente speed/dynamic athleticism) are the two most reminiscent. Eric Davis, a little bit, when he first came up with Reds in 1984-85.

I think Griffey Jr. Or bonds are better comparisons. Although Bonds didn't have the arm.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 05:51 AM)
I think Griffey Jr. Or bonds are better comparisons. Although Bonds didn't have the arm.

Ijust tried to buy a $26.99 replica jersey and all the extra-larges are sold out at MLB.com and Majestic and the Dodgers' home page. Crazy.

As far as Bonds goes, he was a great basestealer when he came up but reed thin...the power came later (both naturally and then the steroids to sustain in his 30's).

Griffey...I still like the combo of Sosa (Rangers, White Sox version) and Vladdy, lol.

He definitely has the plate discipline and coverage of Guerrero.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 08:05 AM)
The question is, how many non-hardcore baseball fans east of the Mississippi even know who Yasel Puig is?

Everybody in the continental united states knows who the best leftfielder in the game that only played left field twice in his major league career is.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 07:05 AM)
Ijust tried to buy a $26.99 replica jersey and all the extra-larges are sold out at MLB.com and Majestic and the Dodgers' home page. Crazy.

As far as Bonds goes, he was a great basestealer when he came up but reed thin...the power came later (both naturally and then the steroids to sustain in his 30's).

Griffey...I still like the combo of Sosa (Rangers, White Sox version) and Vladdy, lol.

He definitely has the plate discipline and coverage of Guerrero.

I disagree with Sosa. He wasn't near Griffey. However, you're right with the Guerrero (both Vlad and Pedro for a Dodger comparison) when you talk about approach.

Bonds had the entire package even when he was young. He would hit 20 HR and 30 SB yearly. Before the steroid era that was an accomplishment.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 04:10 PM)
I'll say it again.

Same position.

What? :huh:

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 07:19 AM)
What? :huh:

That was his nickname.

You can google it.

If you look at his baseball cards from that time, 1988-1989, you'll understand why.

He was thin and wiry, and had one of the best arms in baseball and was a superior defender with erratic power.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 09:46 AM)
That was his nickname.

You can google it.

If you look at his baseball cards from that time, 1988-1989, you'll understand why.

He was thin and wiry, and had one of the best arms in baseball and was a superior defender with erratic power.

Like a panther.

What's wrong with you people?

I'm the only one who remembers Harrelson calling him that over and over again his rookie year?

In the middle is Sammy Sosa. You’re up to the plate (without a corked bat) now to admit the truth. And as they always say, the truth will set you free.

You know how you frittered away the love of the city of Chicago, and much of the rest of the baseball world, when you claimed you couldn’t speak English during the same Congressional hearing in 2005, in which McGwire refused to “talk about the past.”

You know you spent the off-seasons flitting around from place to place, especially after the 1998 season, when you literally made a world tour ranging from Japan to the State of the Union address. You had no time to do an aggressive weight-lifting program. And before games at Wrigley Field, you spent all your spare time in the batting cage, not the weight room. After batting practice you hung by your locker eating a ham sandwich. So the bull linemen’s neck you sported when you reported to spring training with the Cubs in 1999 could not have been the result of weight training.

Why did your arm strength decline in one season, from 1998 to 1999, from a scout’s rating of “seven” for good to “four” for average or less. No one degenerates into a near-pus arm unless he’s injured or too muscle-bound in his upper body.

No one could have bulked up that much, that quickly, using conventional means. When you first came to the Cubs in 1992, your nickname was “The Panther.” You were strong but lithe. For awhile you aggravated teammates and some media with your obsession to be a “30-30″ guy — 30 homers, 30 stolen bases, and your gold jewelry was considered too gaudy, too self-centered for baseball propriety.

You naturally gained in strength and ability through 1996. That season, you were on a 52-homer pace when a pitch broke your wrist with five weeks to go. You were still a great athletic specimen. But being just nearly great wasn’t enough. Doing things naturally and letting it flow wasn’t enough.

Insecurity over your impoverished past in the Dominican Republic wasn’t good enough an explanation by now. You were successful and established, making megabucks and taking care of your family three times over. Why did you think you needed a whole lot more?

Why did you take the short-cuts, be it artificial enhancements that are so obvious, or the corked bats in 2003 when you were coming off an injury, refused a minor-league rehab assignment and had timing so out of whack you couldn’t hit a loud foul off the Astros’ hard throwers?

In June, 2002, I gave you a chance to shed light on the steroids issue. Rangers manager Jerry Narron said Chicago fans were smart enough to know which of their players were artificially enhanced, hinting you. Minutes later, I played you Narron’s tape and you listened. When I asked you for your reaction, you put me off: “I’m just here to play baseball.”

Sources: http://trueslant.com/georgecastle/2010/01/...mpaign=20100112

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)
Like a panther.

See ABOVE. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Harrelson called him that over and over again from the time he was acquired with Alvarez and Fletcher for Baines.

Edited by caulfield12