Fantasy football advice thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 12:22 AM)
Are Isaac Redman and Le'veon Bell worth picking up over Fred Jackson and Andre Brown? I've got 2 flex positions in my league and could probably use Redman while he's starting while also grabbing Bell to handcuff.

Right now I have Sudfeld as my 2nd flex.

Oh god yes. Jackson is strictly a handcuff, and he's lost a step. He's not worth rostering unless you have Spiller. Brown is going to be a touchdown vulture, but that's risky business.

I'm not a fan of Redman, but he's going to get carries, and Bell has a chance to win leagues this year.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 02:15 PM)
Adrian Peterson - Clear Cut #1 and Top 5 back - No argument there./// Agree, but if youre gonna mention other backs injuries cant forget APs injury too.

Doug Martin - 2nd year RB - I'm weery//Martin gets all the carries, can catch the ball and plays in a weaker defensive division. He also single handidly won me a few games last season with insane numbers.

LeSean McCoy - Usually is injured///In 3 of his 4 seasons hes played at least 15 games, with the odd year being last season. He will get the bulk of the eagles carries and can also catch passes. Hes 2 years removed from having 20 TDs in a season. If hes usually injured then so is AP

Marshawn Lynch - He's been a consistent top 5 back for the past 5 years///Not even close to true. Hes been great the past 2 seasons in Seattle, but the 3 seasons prior to that he averaged under 400 yards and 3 tds per season. Hes a stud now, but he didnt become a "first round" FF RB until last season.

Jamaal Charles - Came out of nowhere, already been injured///Very similar to McCoy. Injured 2 seasons ago but other than that has been great, even on bad teams. Has had over 1275 yards in 3 of the last 4 seasons.

Ray Rice - Only guy you can really make a case for given that he has no injury history and is multi-threat///Rice has been consistent, but he also loses a lot of value in non ppr formats. He rarely hits yardage bonuses and isnt a big time TD threat. Hes a good back to own and will go early in most drafts.

CJ Spiller - Fred Thomas///Assuming you mean Fred Jackson. What about him? This is Spillers show now and if hes healthy he is poised to have a huge season.

Arian Foster - Oft Injured///Hes missed 3 games the past 3 seasons since he became the starter. Hes good for 1400 rushing yards, 50 receptions, 500 receiving yards and 12+ TDs.

Trent Richardson - Got a lot of TDs, not that many yards///As a rookie, on a bad team, with a rookie QB and no other weapons around him on offense he still had a very productive season. He also had over 50 catches. Hes a workhorse and in FF that has a lot of value.

Matt Forte - Michael Bush takes the TD///Forte has been inconsistent in FF. He is similar to Ray Rice but hasnt had an OL or capable play caller until hopefully this season. In ppr format Forte should be going late first round and in standard format in the 2nd. Hes looked great so far this preseason and looks to be used better by Trestman.

Stevan Ridley - See my previous post on him. Any NE RB is never a good argument///Normally Id agree. Ridley was used a lot last season and now the Pat's are without Welker, Lloyd, Hernandez and Gronk will be out for a while. He might not be a sure thing, but he has a lot of value and a huge upside.

Alfred MOrris - I'll give you him because he was a workhorse, got the yards and TDs///I like Morris, I had him on all but one of my teams last season and he was great. I wish hed catch some passes but I cant complain with what I got from him.

Maurice Jones-Drew - Downhill///Dont disagree too much here. He has defied the odds a few times in his career though. Hes been on bad teams every season and has still produced most of the time.

DeMarco Murray - What? As a Cowboys fan, I know he's not a good argument for fantasy FB. Heck, none have been since E. Smith. Look at his numbers///He killed me last season. Id stay away from him early but he has an upside.

Reggie Bush - Hell no///Tough to say what he will do this season. He could be like Sproles in NO but with more carries.

Lamar Miller - What?///Hes gonna be their workhorse and get all the carries. They also added some other offensive weapons but Miller is gonna get the ball a lot. What he does with it remains to be seen but its better to have someone like Miller who you know will be getting touches than having someone who will only be relevant if there is an injury.

Darren McFadden - Injury prone//Agreed, but he isnt a 1st or 2nd rounder anymore. I got him in the 7th round, after I had all my starting RBs/WR and Qb. If your team is relying on him as a starter you are probably in trouble, but in later rounds he has a lot of upside.

I'm sorry, I meant to say no consistent for Lynch. He was good for a year in BUF and then started getting good about two years ago with Seattle. It was a typo error. I pretty much agree with everyone on your list except for Spiller. Most of the guys I mentioned are injured to the point of not getting you the points you need on a week by week basis, not necessarily sitting out in games.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
I think it has more to do with how deep QB is ATM.

If you're in a 10 or 12 team league with only 1 starting QB, you can wait until the 6th or 7th round and you'll still get a pretty good QB (Luck, Romo both fall that far usually).

If you look at it, the dropoff in QB production between #1 and #12 is only around 20%. And even if you go above the 20% threshold, you can still get production out of QBs like Eli Manning or Ben Roethlisberger.

Go to RBs and it's a completely different situation. After about the 15th RB in the draft, those RBs are iffy. Go beyond top 20 and you don't know what the hell you'll get. At least with QBs, they have stable jobs.

It's purely based on the volatility and strength of the positions.

Wide receiver is another position that isn't as valuable as RB since there are so many more good wideouts than RBs in the league.

fmjf4l.png

I made this chart a week ago for my draft. Each tier represents a 10% dropoff from the #1 performer at the position. These are based on a set of projections I chose from FantasyPros.com and the scoring is skewed towards my PPR league, so you can keep that in mind.

Note that for RBs and WR all have about the same amount of tier 1 performers, but after tier 3, the amount of productive WRs far outnumbers that of RBs.

Also note that the amount of QBs from the 10 to 20% range is 8. After the top 4 QBs, you're not losing out on much.

Makes sense. Nice chart.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 08:39 AM)
Oh god yes. Jackson is strictly a handcuff, and he's lost a step. He's not worth rostering unless you have Spiller. Brown is going to be a touchdown vulture, but that's risky business.

I'm not a fan of Redman, but he's going to get carries, and Bell has a chance to win leagues this year.

Makes sense....One last question for week 1....Jay Cutler or Andy Dalton? They're facing each other. Right now I have Jay starting because I don't think Cincy knows what Trestmans offense is gonna look like so I'm expecting a good game out of Jay. Plus Peanut and Jennings still look really solid.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 11:19 AM)
Makes sense....One last question for week 1....Jay Cutler or Andy Dalton? They're facing each other. Right now I have Jay starting because I don't think Cincy knows what Trestmans offense is gonna look like so I'm expecting a good game out of Jay. Plus Peanut and Jennings still look really solid.

You have to go with Cutler, but how did you f*** up so badly that you ended up with Dalton and Cutler as your best two QBs? If it's a 16 team league, then I guess, but jesus, I'd rather have, in no particular order, Griffin, Romo, Rodgers, Stafford, Brees, Ryan, Newton, Kaepernick, Wilson, Brady, Roethlisberger, and P. Manning over him. That's not including high upside and potential fantasy steals in guys like Vick, E. Manning, Palmer, Luck, Flacco, or Rivers.

Maybe Dalton or Cutler can improve, but those two are just incredibly mediocre options.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 11:48 AM)
You have to go with Cutler, but how did you f*** up so badly that you ended up with Dalton and Cutler as your best two QBs? If it's a 16 team league, then I guess, but jesus, I'd rather have, in no particular order, Griffin, Romo, Rodgers, Stafford, Brees, Ryan, Newton, Kaepernick, Wilson, Brady, Roethlisberger, and P. Manning over him. That's not including high upside and potential fantasy steals in guys like Vick, E. Manning, Palmer, Luck, Flacco, or Rivers.

Maybe Dalton or Cutler can improve, but those two are just incredibly mediocre options.

Yaaa, about that....I really wanted Luck but waited a little bit too long. I got caught up in this being my first PPR league so I went with 3 straight RBs who should be getting a lot of receptions. Then went with 2 WRs and a TE in the next 3. At that point it was between Dalton, Vick, and Eli. For whatever reason I went with Dalton.

Here's my team that I'm now iffy about.

QB- Cutler/Dalton

RB1- McCoy

RB2- CJ2k (a reach in the 2nd?)

WR- Colston

WR- James Jones

TE- Vernon Davis

Flex- Bush (for reference Sproles went in the 2nd)

Flex- Redman

D- Zona

K- Crosby

Bench- Josh Gordon, Eifert, Sudfeld, L. Bell, Broyles.

Rivers is still available but would you really take him over Dalton or Cutler?

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 12:20 PM)
Yaaa, about that....I really wanted Luck but waited a little bit too long. I got caught up in this being my first PPR league so I went with 3 straight RBs who should be getting a lot of receptions. Then went with 2 WRs and a TE in the next 3. At that point it was between Dalton, Vick, and Eli. For whatever reason I went with Dalton.

QB- Cutler/Dalton

RB1- McCoy

WR- Colston

WR- James Jones

TE- Vernon Davis

Flex- Redman

D- Zona

K- Crosby

That team sucks big fat penis.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 12:56 PM)
I went 3 straight RBs in a 12 teamer, you just made bad choices across the board there!

There were 14 RBs taken before I got CJ2k, 16 before I got Bush. Colston is the only pick I'd like to do over with Welker, Nelson, Steve Smith, Mike Wallace, and VJax still on the board. Was really banking on Torrey Smith who went 2 picks before Colston.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 01:09 PM)
There were 14 RBs taken before I got CJ2k, 16 before I got Bush. Colston is the only pick I'd like to do over with Welker, Nelson, Steve Smith, Mike Wallace, and VJax still on the board. Was really banking on Torrey Smith who went 2 picks before Colston.

So this is a PPR league. And you took Marques Colston over Wes Welker. And Torrey Smith went before both of them.

tumblr_mj5823ohgL1ru74s4o1_500.jpg

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 01:37 PM)
This just makes me happy that I run a very good and competitive league, or else, what's the point?

Ha, I'm sure you're happy to know that I'm in your heroes league. Though I feel much more confident in that league...

Ryan

White

VJax

S. Smith

McCoy

CJ2K

Olsen

Cook

Dawson

Zona

with Gordon, Fred Jackson, Ballard, Schaub, Sudfeld, and Sanu on the bench

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 01:55 PM)
Ha, I'm sure you're happy to know that I'm in your heroes league. Though I feel much more confident in that league...

Ryan

White

VJax

S. Smith

McCoy

CJ2K

Olsen

Cook

Dawson

Zona

with Gordon, Fred Jackson, Ballard, Schaub, Sudfeld, and Sanu on the bench

Stop calling him CJ2k.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 02:31 PM)
see what I did there

Really though, with the addition of Levitre and Warmack to the line I expect him to have a huge year....Probably not 2k but I expect a much, much bigger year than last year. I drafted him in both leagues for this reason, not just his name.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 02:36 PM)
Really though, with the addition of Levitre and Warmack to the line I expect him to have a huge year....Probably not 2k but I expect a much, much bigger year than last year.

Levitre is more of a technically sound player than a mauler. He'll help, but not as much as one thinks. At the end of the day, Johnson has still lost a step and lacks the power to break many tackles.

Last year, he rushed for 1243 yards at 4.5 yards per carry. He scored 6 touchdowns. Now, consider that he only broke 100 yards 5 times and, contrary to that, he rushed for fewer than 50 yards on 6 occasions. Further, if you take out the 18/195/2 that he gashed the Bills for because their defense was coached by an incompetent jackass, he ends up with a line consisting of...

258 carries

4.06 YPC

4 TD

I'll let you go ahead and take Johnson in the 2nd and then wait for the rejuvenation (for the 3rd straight year) of a running back with 1500 carries on his legs. I'll be busy drafting David Wilson in the 4th and laughing all the way to bank.

I got roped into doing one more league this year. 12 team league going to be a keeper but this is the first year of it, 4 points for a throwing td, non ppr. I had the 8th overall:

Wilson

T. Richardson

S. Jackson

Fitzgerald

T.Y. Hilton

Gronk

Lacy

Seabass

Seahawks

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)
I got roped into doing one more league this year. 12 team league going to be a keeper but this is the first year of it, 4 points for a throwing td, non ppr. I had the 8th overall:

Wilson

T. Richardson

S. Jackson

Fitzgerald

T.Y. Hilton

Gronk

Lacy

Seabass

Seahawks

Like*

*Especially if Gronk gets 10+ games.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 12:20 PM)

QB- Cutler/Dalton

RB1- McCoy

WR- Colston

WR- James Jones

TE- Vernon Davis

Flex- Redman

D- Zona

K- Crosby

I mean how many teams are in this league?

Even if you're waiting on someone there shouldn't be that many qb's taken unless it's a 16 teamer.