Fantasy football advice thread

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)
I got roped into doing one more league this year. 12 team league going to be a keeper but this is the first year of it, 4 points for a throwing td, non ppr. I had the 8th overall:

Wilson

T. Richardson

S. Jackson

Fitzgerald

T.Y. Hilton

Gronk

Lacy

Seabass

Seahawks

That's a team. Who're the backups

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 02:59 PM)
That's a team. Who're the backups

Josh Gordon

Chris Givens

Fred Jackson

Jordan Cameron

Bryce Brown

Kendall Wright

EJ Manuel(it's a keeper league so might as well take a long shot on a back up qb)

Obviously weak at rb on the bench but with 3 solid ones in my regular starting lineup, I have a little added flexibility there.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 02:52 PM)
I mean how many teams are in this league?

Even if you're waiting on someone there shouldn't be that many qb's taken unless it's a 16 teamer.

Man im getting ripped left and right here, guess its safe to say I should have been watching more of the NFL network this offseason.

Dalton was the 13th QB taken in a 12 team league. For what it's worth he was actually the 12th ranked QB in the league last year.....Both Luck and Wilson were taken a few picks before I took Dalton.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)
Man im getting ripped left and right here, guess its safe to say I should have been watching more of the NFL network this offseason.

Dalton was the 13th QB taken in a 12 team league. For what it's worth he was actually the 12th ranked QB in the league last year.....Both Luck and Wilson were taken a few picks before I took Dalton.

Haha I'm not trying to rip you just trying to figure out how something like that happened.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 03:07 PM)
Haha I'm not trying to rip you just trying to figure out how something like that happened.

Waiting to long and some jackass taking 2 QBs before I took 1 is how it happened lol.

Considering he was the 12 ranked QB last year and with all I'm hearing about Gio Bernard and Eifert being a factors in the passing game I don't think he'll be THAT bad...He wasn't who i wanted but I'll ride him while also hoping Jay returns to the production he put up in Denver.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 03:01 PM)
who should I take #5 in a yahoo league, non PPR with pretty much standard scoring?

Well you'll be grabbing one of Foster, McCoy, Martin, Rice, Charles, Lynch, Spiller (not in any order).

They are very similar, I wouldn't really argue on whatever order you wanted to put them in.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)
What about jimmy graham with my second pick at 24?

14 team league? I wouldn't, especially non PPR. On the turn in the 3rd? Maybe.

It really just depends. If your picking at 24, I assume that means you also have 25. Which means you are then going to have to wait about 20 more picks before your next pick. You basically have to calculate what tiers of players are going to be gone.

But it wont be a bad pick, it just could make you reach a little further in rounds 4-5.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 03:01 PM)
who should I take #5 in a yahoo league, non PPR with pretty much standard scoring?

The 5th best player.

It depends on who's there and what you want to do. If you think you can find points at other positions later, take Rodgers or Brees. If you'd rather take your chance with a guy like Romo/Griffin/Newton/Kaepernick/Ryan/whoever, then take a running back. If not, maybe take Calvin Johnson or Jimmy Graham, places where you will get surplus value over regular old good players.

Personally, I'd look for CJ Spiller, but I'm a homer and I think he's going to have a big, big year, especially if Manuel comes back. Manuel can do just enough to space the field, and Spiller might be the best player in the game in space.

Look at rankings, look at mock drafts, whatever, there are all kinds of things you can do.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 03:04 PM)
Josh Gordon

Chris Givens

Fred Jackson

Jordan Cameron

Bryce Brown

Kendall Wright

EJ Manuel(it's a keeper league so might as well take a long shot on a back up qb)

Obviously weak at rb on the bench but with 3 solid ones in my regular starting lineup, I have a little added flexibility there.

There's upside and a couple of handcuffs here, so I think you did OK. I think you need to view your bench as an deposit or investment in the event that guys get hurt and you have their capable replacements (for any number of reasons) rather than getting filling it with solid guys who can fill in week to week and be solid. You want a couple, but I like Jackson and Brown moreso than, say, Woodhead, Vereen, or really either Richardson or Pead in St. Louis. I just don't know what kind of potential those guys have while the others would be virtual bellcows if the starter gets hurt.

----

BTW, I have the 12th pick in our league. Not sure if we're doing PPR this year. I am planning on going RB & WR/TE (Johnson or Graham only). To me, there's just such a negligible difference between all the QBs that all I plan on is making sure I have a capable backup if I get an option QB. Of course, it may end up going RB/RB too, or, in the least likely scenario, RB/QB (I am talking Rodgers or Brees only here). If I make my first 2 selections and don't take a running back, I am f'ed in the A

(or not Graham that high, maybe at the turn...jesus, I did not realize how many good tight ends there were last year)

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 03:22 PM)
The 5th best player.

It depends on who's there and what you want to do. If you think you can find points at other positions later, take Rodgers or Brees. If you'd rather take your chance with a guy like Romo/Griffin/Newton/Kaepernick/Ryan/whoever, then take a running back. If not, maybe take Calvin Johnson or Jimmy Graham, places where you will get surplus value over regular old good players.

Personally, I'd look for CJ Spiller, but I'm a homer and I think he's going to have a big, big year, especially if Manuel comes back. Manuel can do just enough to space the field, and Spiller might be the best player in the game in space.

Look at rankings, look at mock drafts, whatever, there are all kinds of things you can do.

No just tell me who to pick.

No one can tell you how to draft. There are different strategies, so your first round pick really dictates how the rest of your draft goes.

If you want to take the most conservative approach, draft the best rb available. A likely option is Lesean McCoy. I think hes going to do great things under Kelly's offense.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 03:28 PM)
No one can tell you how to draft. There are different strategies, so your first round pick really dictates how the rest of your draft goes.

If you want to take the most conservative approach, draft the best rb available. A likely option is Lesean McCoy. I think hes going to do great things under Kelly's offense.

I am so hoping people have forgotten about LeSean McCoy in my league. I think Spiller has gotten too popular, but McCoy might slip. He is who I want, but I think he's probably going to go 9 or 10.

Yeah my money league is a keeper (you get to keep a maximum of 2 players, they count as whatever round you drafted them last year +1 and you can only keep for 3 years total), so its pretty difficult to try and guess what is going on.

I have the 8th pick, so I am hoping that McCoy is there. The real fun is after the 2nd because I wont make another selection until the 6th round (3rd round was traded last year, 4th is RGIII keeper and 5th is AJ Green).

Ive been going back and forth on the RGIII keeper all off season, but after crunching the numbers there may be 6-8 qbs kept, which means that things could get dicey at that position fast.

I took Graham in my first draft with the last pick in the 2nd round in a 12 teamer. Huge mistake. In 12 team leagues your first 3 picks basically need to be RB, RB, WR or possibly RB, WR, RB.

10 team league

PPR

6 points per TD pass

Q/R/W/T and R/W flex spots

QB: Peyton Manning

RB: Matt Forte

RB: Stevan Ridley

WR: Hakeem Nicks

WR: Eric Decker

TE: Rob Gronkowski

W/R: Reggie Bush

Q/W/R/T: Andrew Luck

K: Caleb Sturgis

DEF: New England

BN: Shane Vereen

BN: KenBrell Thompkins

BN: Antonio Gates

BN: Josh Gordon

Bn: TY Hilton

Im pretty much going to tear this league a new one..