Draft Dollars

Y2Jimmy0

Sox with 6th largest pool this year. The reason it isn't 3rd largest is the Sox have no comp or competitive picks - some others may have lower APV numbers due to pick order but have sandwich picks to spread the money over. The key thing to understand in this is, the Sox pick 3rd (then 53, 89, and by 30 after that), and their bonus pool per pick is going to be 3rd largest as well. They've got good money to spend.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 06:28 PM)
**I don't know how spending works from rounds 11-40 pertaining to us drafting and signing Engel. I assume left over money from the RD 1-10 pool was used?

Yes, money left over from the top rounds is able to be distributed in the lower rounds. In the lower rounds you get a set amount of money to spend per pick, but you can redistribute money from the top 10 picks if you have any saved.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 13, 2013 -> 05:28 PM)
Looking at how we signed Blount and Goldberg signed for a total of 20k in the 9th/10th rounds last year, if we did something like that again this year... We could have the potential to have some major value out of our picks. I think it's important to note that the financial abilities of Hahn is where Hahn has always been held in high regards. Going down the line, in just a year we have seen him him sign Sale and Abreu to wonderfully structured, team-friendly contracts and his first draft went over well at least financially. The money he saved by signing Blount and Goldberg for 10k a piece allowed him to sign Michalczewski and Engel and we are already seeing that pay dividends with Engel, a 19th rounder, who had great first year and showing the tools he was said to have.

Looking forward to the draft, with that 3rd highest per pick pool and hopefully another display of Hahn's financial savvy we could make out nicely.

I would love to see us get an over slot, high talent guy in the second round who fell due to salary or injury concerns. Like Sean Manaea last year with the Royals. I know at first look that doesn't seem like something our franchise would but we do have X amount of money to spend and it's going to spent. Another possible scenario could be drafting a couple of high school guys in the 3-8 rounds that are potential first round talents that will demand over slot money. Like Trey Michalczewski last year.

Basically, just looking forward to what we can do with Hahn at the helm and having the advantage of money on our side for once.

**I don't know how spending works from rounds 11-40 pertaining to us drafting and signing Engel. I assume left over money from the RD 1-10 pool was used?

After round 10 any contract amount over $100k has that amount added to the bonus pool spending. So if you sign your40th round pick to a $200k contract, another 100K is added to your bonus spending total.