Law/Legal Thread

pettie4sox

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 02:14 PM)
There might be legal ramifications for throwing out someone's property.

Yeah, i'd be careful. It's been awhile since I've done lease type stuff, but it's tricky. If he was receiving mail there they're going to establish residency likely, meaning all sorts of things kick in.

I think your best option is to contact a lawyer. It may cost you a couple hundred bucks, but it's best to get a definitive legal answer. If you tell them the story and show them a copy of your apartment lease and sublet agreement, they will clearly know what your legal rights are in regards to his stuff.

Craigslist. I didn't do a background check but from now on that is a priority. Do you think his public defender will talk to me? I'm a cheapskate and really would not like to hire a lawyer for this. He probably doesn't get mail at my place because this guy is a career criminal.

Forgery x1

DWI x2

Impersonating a police officer x2

Aggravated DWI x1

I thought it was shady that he paid me with money orders. I typically have people to pay me via Venmo.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
Not sure if there is a thread on this but essentially I'm in a world of hurt.

My roommate is the guy from this article.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20131211/up...town-police-say

I need to go visit him as he's currently in cook country lock up but for whatever reason he only has one visiting day and that's tomorrow and per the site, you need to be approved for a visit prior (which they stated takes 3 days).

I need to find a new roommate and move his stuff out but I'm not sure what legal issues are remaining. I am currently the only guy on the lease and I rented out my second room as a psuedo rental agreement.

I'm sure he's going away for this as he had priors. I didn't do a background check on him which was an egregious mistake on my part but it is what it is.

Anyone with any ideas please say reply.

Thanks.

Jesus. He is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 03:50 PM)
Craigslist. I didn't do a background check but from now on that is a priority. Do you think his public defender will talk to me? I'm a cheapskate and really would not like to hire a lawyer for this. He probably doesn't get mail at my place because this guy is a career criminal.

Forgery x1

DWI x2

Aggravated DWI x1I thought it was shady that he paid me with money orders. I typically have people to pay me via Venmo.

LMAO oh my GOD

How the hell did this guy get a job as a medic

Private ambulance companies are to be avoided at all costs. Those medics are usually EMT-Basics, and the worst paid of those folks. The good ones get jobs with municipalities, that pay more, have better benefits, better equipment, and protect their people. Private ambulance companies are trying to keep costs as low as possible, so... you get the worst possible care. Just the way that works.

If somewhere you live is every considering abandoning their own Fire/EMS ambulance department in favor of contracting a private company to save a few bucks, consider what that means. Is THAT the place you want to save 50 cents on your property taxes? The thing you almost never use, but when you do, your life depends on it?

I once had to write a special report that involved this. The difference in quality and timeliness of care between the private and public services was astounding.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 05:50 PM)

Forgery x1

DWI x2

Aggravated DWI x1

I thought it was shady that he paid me with money orders. I typically have people to pay me via Venmo.

The PD better talk to you or put you in touch with someone that can help. You don't have a real lease with this guy. The agreement might default to month to month. Talk also to your landlord and see what he thinks as long as you won't get in trouble.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 05:08 PM)
The PD better talk to you or put you in touch with someone that can help. You don't have a real lease with this guy. The agreement might default to month to month. Talk also to your landlord and see what he thinks as long as you won't get in trouble.

As an Ex-PD in a smaller county than cook, it really depends on the PD that's assigned. They'll have a crap ton of cases, so they might not really respond at all. Most PD offices will have an Investigator, possibly ask to talk to them if you have some rebuff. You're really not a party to the case they're representing them on, PDs aren't assigned to the client per se, but to the case that client is on, so basically meaning PDs aren't resposnible for their other matters. Good thing about him being incarcerated is if you go the route of having to evict with legal papers etc. he'll be REALLY easy to serve, which is a HUGE thing. If any legal proceeding you have to do is in same courthouse where he's at (which he should be staying until sentenced) jail will bring him down for all the eviction or whatever proceedings. You won't have to chase around, get continuances, etc.

Again, yes, it doesn't seem you have a formal lease, but if they were living there and they can establish that, again mail with their name and that address on it is decent evidence from them, you really can't just toss people or their stuff.

I agree with whoever said contact a lawyer, it may cost a little up front but it will save you a headache and possibly more $$ down the line.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 04:41 PM)
Private ambulance companies are to be avoided at all costs. Those medics are usually EMT-Basics, and the worst paid of those folks. The good ones get jobs with municipalities, that pay more, have better benefits, better equipment, and protect their people. Private ambulance companies are trying to keep costs as low as possible, so... you get the worst possible care. Just the way that works.

If somewhere you live is every considering abandoning their own Fire/EMS ambulance department in favor of contracting a private company to save a few bucks, consider what that means. Is THAT the place you want to save 50 cents on your property taxes? The thing you almost never use, but when you do, your life depends on it?

I once had to write a special report that involved this. The difference in quality and timeliness of care between the private and public services was astounding.

Funny you mention this. My father a few years back had a massive heart attack in SW Michigan. The ambulance, hospital and helicopter crew all saved his life en route to Kalamazoo. The EMT's in particular saved his life in the first several minutes. Last year the township decided to cancel their service and use a neighboring towns private service as it was a cost savings. My father stood up in front of the entire town and told them his story.

They voted overwhelmingly to cut the costs and cancel the service.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 05:46 PM)
Funny you mention this. My father a few years back had a massive heart attack in SW Michigan. The ambulance, hospital and helicopter crew all saved his life en route to Kalamazoo. The EMT's in particular saved his life in the first several minutes. Last year the township decided to cancel their service and use a neighboring towns private service as it was a cost savings. My father stood up in front of the entire town and told them his story.

Crazy, everyone was totally straight out of the "well, it won't happen to me so I'm not worried about it" camp.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 05:21 PM)
You might wanna review your lease before you tell your landlord everything. There could be something in there that allows him to evict you, specifically in regards to subletting.

He's a buddy of mine and already knows the situation. He's trying to stay out of it since I am the only one on the lease.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 05:08 PM)

The rental agreement between him and I states it's month to month.

Wow that's messed up. Those same people would try to sue if something went wrong because they got schmucks instead of professionals doing the job.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 06:53 PM)
The rental agreement between him and I states it's month to month.

I would get a small storage locker for a couple of months and put his s*** in there. It would probably cost you less than $100, and that should be reasonable enough for him to get someone to pick it up. By then you should have a better idea of his fate.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 07:00 PM)
I would get a small storage locker for a couple of months and put his s*** in there. It would probably cost you less than $100, and that should be reasonable enough for him to get someone to pick it up. By then you should have a better idea of his fate.

Take it out of his security deposit? I am really trying to avoid paying money out of my pocket because of his mistake. That just doesn't seem right. What seems right to me is calling the salvation army.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 06:25 PM)
Crazy, everyone was totally straight out of the "well, it won't happen to me so I'm not worried about it" camp.

Yeah pretty much. Glad to hear your father made it through that, Rock.

I get that people want to see governments cut costs, I really do. But to me, if I had to make a list of priorities as to where to NOT cut, public safety (police, fire, EMS) are probably the MOST important to make whole and invest in.