who's paying the medical bills for this dead person?

DukeNukeEm

Ok, this is what I read once and I can't find the article again:

The family gave her a popsicle (or hamburger or both) which caused her to bleed, at that point the grandmother performed a suction which only made things worse.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 09:14 PM)
Ok, this is what I read once and I can't find the article again:

The family gave her a popsicle (or hamburger or both) which caused her to bleed, at that point the grandmother performed a suction which only made things worse.

Another classic "blame the victim" post.

Her heart stopped during a routine surgery, I have seen 0 evidence that she has ever been "awake" after the surgery. So please find me this article so I can eviscerate them.

Thanks in advance.

And I assume that if a Dr/Hospital hurts your kid, youd be cool if they just throw you out in the street, companies should never have to take responsibility for their mistakes.

LOL

Or actually

COL (cries out loud)

I’ve read the comments from medical people under a few of these stories that say they witnessed people being maintained on life support for years and sometimes decades.

They talked about the people basically withering away with bed sores and multiple infections. The families just stop coming to visit after a while because it’s too difficult. Basically the person being kept alive has no quality of life anymore.

So I guess I agree that the family should let the girl go but for different reasons.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
Another classic "blame the victim" post.

Her heart stopped during a routine surgery, I have seen 0 evidence that she has ever been "awake" after the surgery. So please find me this article so I can eviscerate them.

Thanks in advance.

And I assume that if a Dr/Hospital hurts your kid, youd be cool if they just throw you out in the street, companies should never have to take responsibility for their mistakes.

LOL

Or actually

COL (cries out loud)

Bleeding occurred three days after complex surgery. Something seems odd about this as if the hospital was at fault I would think the family would be more up in arms that they a. they killed their daughter and b) are now throwing her out.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-l...s#axzz2pwgL4wJ3

"But we’re not going to play God, we’re not going to let Children’s Hospital play God and pull the plug. If her heart stops beating, and if it stops beating while she’s on the respirator, we can accept that. She’s done fighting, and she can go home,” Sealey said.

Hello? You have her on a respirator and all sorts of machines, you ARE playing God because without them she would be even more dead then she is now. 5 different doctors, including 3 outside docs 'requested by the family' said there is nothing more there, nothing more to do. Time to let that part go and commence your lawsuit. I am truly sorry for your loss.

They've got nothing, this whole thing is rapidly becoming exposed as a colossal farce orchestrated by this lawyer (shocking!!). The hospital is barred by privacy laws from telling everyone Grandma's suction killed the kid, that is until the suit comes. Unless the lawsuit can instead swirl around this dead body being left to die instead of the family disobeying doctors and killing the child via their own recklessness, then they never have to even bring up the initial incident.

Its all a play for money and attention. The family and lawyer are all over TV whining and crying and now claiming the dead body is improving (is she decomposing? How can she improve? She's dead!) because they want this settlement bad. Its got nothing to do with the kid and everything to do with people who want money but don't want to earn it.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 05:08 PM)
Bleeding occurred three days after complex surgery. Something seems odd about this as if the hospital was at fault I would think the family would be more up in arms that they a. they killed their daughter and b) are now throwing her out.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-l...s#axzz2pwgL4wJ3

There is more to this. You dont generally stay in a hospital that long for a routine surgery.

http://www.kidshealth.org.nz/tonsillectomy...notonsillectomy

In some surgical centres, tonsillectomies / adenotonsillectomies are performed as a day procedure; in other centres, an overnight stay in hospital is required. - See more at: http://www.kidshealth.org.nz/tonsillectomy...h.g9hYJS1B.dpuf

In case you dont trust Kiwis here is an american site outlining how generally you go home that day:

http://www.childrensdayton.org/cms/child_h...1e32/index.html

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
It does seem like duke gets so blinded with his views that he can't fathom that there could be alternate scenarios that occurred.

So do a lot of people.

When it comes to something they agree with/like (climate change for example), you'll find them saying "science, science, science", but when science happens to side with something they don't like (GMOs for example), suddenly it's "science isn't always right...need longer term studies, etc."

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 01:28 PM)
So do a lot of people.

When it comes to something they agree with/like (climate change for example), you'll find them saying "science, science, science", but when science happens to side with something they don't like (GMOs for example), suddenly it's "science isn't always right...need longer term studies, etc."

The long term studies on GMO's have been done and I'd say that they're 99.9% convincing. Maybe there's need for extra regulation just to be careful since the world is a larger population than most trials and rare events might still occur, but at this point the data on their safety and effectiveness is convincing.

(someone needed to say that, btw).

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 12:28 PM)
So do a lot of people.

Is this particular case... Duke is sounds like he has some vendetta.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 5, 2014 -> 05:13 PM)
OK, maybe not the most caring way he could have phrased that question, but really, who IS paying for that? if it is on the public dime, at what point do we accept medical diagnosis that she is indeed dead and beyond recovery?

The old medical system allowed people without insurance to basically skip out on the bill. A poor person never had the money to pay medical bills that could easily amount to the same as their lifetime earnings. Now with the Affordable Care Act she should have had insurance.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 01:05 PM)
The long term studies on GMO's have been done and I'd say that they're 99.9% convincing. Maybe there's need for extra regulation just to be careful since the world is a larger population than most trials and rare events might still occur, but at this point the data on their safety and effectiveness is convincing.

yup, whatever patent/corporate issues there might be with companies like Monsanto, the safety of GMO foods are pretty well established.

The old medical system allowed people without insurance to basically skip out on the bill. A poor person never had the money to pay medical bills that could easily amount to the same as their lifetime earnings. Now with the Affordable Care Act she should have had insurance.

Which is subsidized by higher rates for everyone else. Same s***, different pony.

Some people might be stupid enough to think its progress though.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 11:58 PM)
Which is subsidized by higher rates for everyone else. Same s***, different pony.

"People not dying because of money" = progress to me, and = a darn shame to a great humanitarian like Duke.

If people don't die when they get sick, how will they ever learn not to get sick?

Yea I remember when you went to the hospital and they just shot you out back if your credit check came back looking bad. Harsh times, indeed.

Honestly, Americans by and large aren't worth saving. Willfully ignorant, morbidly obese and obscenely wasteful.... I don't get all teary eyed if the 450 lb blob rolling around Wal Mart in a mobility scooter can't get her back fixed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
"People not dying because of money" = progress to me, and = a darn shame to a great humanitarian like Duke.

If people don't die when they get sick, how will they ever learn not to get sick?

I think this girl is a little farther gone than just 'sick'.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 10:58 PM)

:lolhitting

Yep, some people are just stupid. In one scenario the hospital doesn't get paid, in the other the hospital does get paid. Some people may be too stupid to understand that when companies get paid for services they can continue to offer services to all their customers. It's a basic business concept that the average person understands, but like you said, some people are stupid.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 11:21 PM)
I think this girl is a little farther gone than just 'sick'.

Who gets to decide when enough is enough? Who do you want making the decision about you? We've had any number of possibilities in these cases. Would you like your ex-wife and her new husband deciding? Your parents? Doctor? Insurance company? A judge? A mix of all in a "death panel"? It's a tough call.

Who gets to decide when enough is enough? Who do you want making the decision about you?

1. Your wallet, particularly in a case when someone has been declared dead by a handful of doctors from across a broad medical spectrum.

2. Myself, and I actually have a DNR in case of brain damage.*

* at least in theory, our right to die in this country is pretty non-existant.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 01:05 PM)

Right, but that's my point, the discussion is still raging out there. ;)

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 12, 2014 -> 08:38 AM)
:lolhitting

Yep, some people are just stupid. In one scenario the hospital doesn't get paid, in the other the hospital does get paid. Some people may be too stupid to understand that when companies get paid for services they can continue to offer services to all their customers. It's a basic business concept that the average person understands, but like you said, some people are stupid.

Our health industry does not operate like a typical business. A typical business doesn't have the government as a surety.