Nieto makes 25 man roster

kevo880

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit I thought there was next to no chance of this happening. For that matter, I still think it is a pretty bad idea. They are trying the Flores route here (ironic, since that was the Nats), but I doubt it works.

Someone asked Hahn about the possibility of a trade to keep Nieto in the minors, and he indicated that would be "difficult".

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 08:25 AM)
I have to admit I thought there was next to no chance of this happening. For that matter, I still think it is a pretty bad idea. They are trying the Flores route here (ironic, since that was the Nats), but I doubt it works.

Someone asked Hahn about the possibility of a trade to keep Nieto in the minors, and he indicated that would be "difficult".

Which is exactly why I figured this is the way it would go.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 08:30 AM)
162 games (DL/rehab stint time is ok).

Not exactly. They changed the rules a few years back. They have to be on the active roster (non-Dl, non-rehab) for a total of 90 days in the season, otherwise the roster requirements carry into the next season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 08:48 AM)
Whatever happens, there shouldn't be any excuses for Flowers and/or Phegley if they can't cut it this year.

It's not like they both haven't been presented with plentiful opportunities to take the bull by the horns and run with it.

Phegley still has some time. Last year were his first ever MLB AB's.

It's possible they just believe he's a defensive catcher and cheap, so as far as the bat...can just see how it progresses without wild expectations. It's a year when one can afford to do this, and since we arent planning on winning the WS anyway--- you can send Nieto in '15 if need be and hope he didnt get his progress derailed in any way.

No point in spending on a veteran when Flowers is about to catch a ton of games for us

Edited by Jose Paniagua

http://voices.suntimes.com/sports/white-so...hance-on-nieto/

By Daryl Van Schouwen | Get In Touch: @CST_soxvan | dvanschouwen@suntimes.com Inside the White Sox, Sports - March 25, 2014 8:52 am

White Sox will ‘take a chance’ on Nieto

GLENDALE, Ariz. – The White Sox liked what they saw of catcher Adrian Nieto from the get-go in camp. The only drawback for the Rule 5 draft pick – and it’s significant – is how he would navigate a jump from Class A to the major leagues.

The Sox, who according to Nieto’s agent have already decided that Nieto is the one who’ll back up Tyler Flowers behind the plate this season, are going to find out soon with Opening Day Monday at U.S. Cellular Field. The other option left in camp was Hector Gimenez, who started last season as Flowers’ backup.

“With Nieto, you’re going to take a chance,’’ manager Robin Ventura said Sunday. “With Hector you know what you’re going to get.’’

Nieto, 24, doesn’t seem to be a big risk. The Sox alternatives weren’t great — Josh Phegley was sent back to the minor leagues last week — and Gimenez is serviceable.

Nieto is 5-for-20 with two doubles and five RBI in Cactus League games. Sox pitchers have applauded his work ethic and attention to detail. They like how he goes out of his way to discuss their plans of attack and thought processes.

“We’ve been really pleased with him,” general manager Rick Hahn Sunday.

The Sox haven’t announced the Opening Day roster, but because Nieto was a Rule 5 pick he must stay on the active roster all season or be placed on waivers. If he isn’t claimed by another team, he would have to be offered back to the Nationals for $25,000.

“To take a kid out of the Carolina League and put him in the big leagues as a backup catcher hasn’t happened a lot,” Hahn said. “But that doesn’t mean that he can’t do it.”

Nieto, like Gimenez, is a switch-hitter. He batted .282 with 11 homers and 53 RBI over 448 plate appearances for high Class A Potomac in the Carolina League last season.

“He’s shown us a little bit more with his right-handed swing than we anticipated,” Hahn said. “We thought the left-handed swing was going to be a little bit better. He’s hung in there well and worked the count. He’s battled. He’s an interesting kid and we are glad we have him.

“The pitchers enjoy throwing to him. We’ve had conversations with each of the starters and most of the relievers about their comfort level with each of the catchers and their reviews have been good.’’

I just want to point this out, something to think about...

Adrian Nieto last year, age 23, 6th MiLB year, High A: .282/.371/.446, 11 HR, 18.3% K/PA

Kevan Smith last year, age 24, 3rd MiLB year, High A: .286/.370/.484, 12 HR, 14.9% K/PA

Offensively, I am not convinced Nieto is any better than Smith at this point. In fact I'm fairly sure I'd take Smith's bat over Nieto.

Defensively, Smith was considered raw, but also has improved and there are positive reports about his pitcher handling. His CS% in 2012 (2013 I can't find) was 33%, and he had 14 PB in 92 games. Nieto is considered better defensively overall, and the pitchers seem to like him in camp (which is big), but.... His CS% in 2012 (I can't find 2013 data) was 32%. He had 14 PB in 85 games.

Numbers aren't the full story of course, especially with catchers. But looking at the body of work, I am not sure Nieto is any better as a total package than Kevan Smith would be. Similar hit and OBP results, Smith more power, Smith better contact rate, similar CS% numbers, and defensively I think Nieto may be at best only slightly better. And Nieto has had 3 more years to develop.

Why are people convinced Nieto is ready for the majors and Smith isn't?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)

Adrian Nieto last year, age 23, 6th MiLB year, High A: .282/.371/.446, 11 HR, 18.3% K/PA

Kevan Smith last year, age 24, 3rd MiLB year, High A: .286/.370/.484, 12 HR, 14.9% K/PA

Offensively, I am not convinced Nieto is any better than Smith at this point. In fact I'm fairly sure I'd take Smith's bat over Nieto.

Defensively, Smith was considered raw, but also has improved and there are positive reports about his pitcher handling. His CS% in 2012 (2013 I can't find) was 33%, and he had 14 PB in 92 games. Nieto is considered better defensively overall, and the pitchers seem to like him in camp (which is big), but.... His CS% in 2012 (I can't find 2013 data) was 32%. He had 14 PB in 85 games.

Numbers aren't the full story of course, especially with catchers. But looking at the body of work, I am not sure Nieto is any better as a total package than Kevan Smith would be. Similar hit and OBP results, Smith more power, Smith better contact rate, similar CS% numbers, and defensively I think Nieto may be at best only slightly better.

People are convinced that the only way we keep Nieto is by stashing him on the MLB bench, most people would like him to be in AA to start the year. There is no risk to letting Smith develop in his own timeline.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
People are convinced that the only way we keep Nieto is by stashing him on the MLB bench, most people would like him to be in AA to start the year. There is no risk to letting Smith develop in his own timeline.

This exactly.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 09:25 AM)

Numbers aren't the full story of course, especially with catchers. But looking at the body of work, I am not sure Nieto is any better as a total package than Kevan Smith would be. Similar hit and OBP results, Smith more power, Smith better contact rate, similar CS% numbers, and defensively I think Nieto may be at best only slightly better. And Nieto has had 3 more years to develop.

If your plan is to develop a Gregg Zaun or something along those lines (and yes guys like that definitely matter) then you want to take a shot on an already-defense-first-guy to develop that bat to be decent. . enough .. to be a Gregg Zaun type guy.

I doubt you want to invest tons of time into making a flawed defensive catcher into a Gregg Zaun type. I also have been intrigued by Kevan Smith but in addition to the slight age difference lets remember Nieto has the switch-hitting. Nieto may not be outstanding but he ticks a lot of boxes for you. Which is worthwhile when you are investing time in a guy.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)

I think it helps that Nieto hits left-handed as well.