Would you trade for Rasmus THIS season...

caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 08:32 PM)
Assuming Sandoval has a solid, injury-free season, would you be willing to commit $100-125 million at his age and recent history?

You're basically signing a DH, ala Dunn, but you're going to be paying him even more than Dunn.

It would be different if he was capable of playing 3B everyday, but we already have Davidson, and Sandoval's not LH, either.

Sandoval and Rasmus ironically were born on the same day so if age is a concern for you then you should share that same concern with Rasmus.

Sandoval has got himself in great shape this offseason, again he can rotate with Davidson and Abreu so he offers more versatility than Dunn (yes, I know Dunn can play 1B/OF in a pinch, but Sandoval isn't half bad defensively IIRC). He's also a much better hitter than Dunn.

Sandoval is a switch hitter who holds a split of .294/.353/.499 vs RH pitching.

Sox will have plenty of $$ to pay him.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 07:49 PM)
Sandoval and Rasmus ironically were born on the same day so if age is a concern for you then you should share that same concern with Rasmus.

Sandoval has got himself in great shape this offseason, again he can rotate with Davidson and Abreu so he offers more versatility than Dunn (yes, I know Dunn can play 1B/OF in a pinch, but Sandoval isn't half bad defensively IIRC). He's also a much better hitter than Dunn.

Sandoval is a switch hitter who holds a split of .294/.353/.499 vs RH pitching.

Sox will have plenty of $ to pay him.

You make some good points.

However, 90% of the time when you buy a free agent after he's had a great contract drive year, you'll end up disappointed. Think Adrian Beltre to the Mariners.

He would be one of the obvious targets, though.

And of course you have to think about the time period of adjustment to playing in the AL. A lot of hitters have struggled (including Dunn) in that transition.

It's one thing if you can get Sandoval for four years. It's quite another when you talk about 5-6-7 years for someone who has had such a spotty injury history the last couple of seasons.

Just because he's in shape and motivated now doesn't mean that will continue indefinitely.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 09:46 PM)
You make some good points.

However, 90% of the time when you buy a free agent after he's had a great contract drive year, you'll end up disappointed. Think Adrian Beltre to the Mariners.

He would be one of the obvious targets, though.

And of course you have to think about the time period of adjustment to playing in the AL. A lot of hitters have struggled (including Dunn) in that transition.

It's one thing if you can get Sandoval for four years. It's quite another when you talk about 5-6-7 years for someone who has had such a spotty injury history the last couple of seasons.

Just because he's in shape and motivated now doesn't mean that will continue indefinitely.

Assuming Rasmus has a good first half, wouldn't trading for him be similar to buying a free agent who had a great contract year? The difference between the 2 is Sandoval has been good for 5 years, and Rasmus really only had 1.5 good months(thus far).

We are of course talking about trading for these guys though, so if he needs time to adjust to the AL(I'm not convinced this is a real thing) then he'll have a few months to do so.

I know money is a factor, Rasmus will probably be much cheaper, but Sandoval is absolutely a guy I'd take a chance on.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 09:29 PM)
Assuming Rasmus has a good first half, wouldn't trading for him be similar to buying a free agent who had a great contract year? The difference between the 2 is Sandoval has been good for 5 years, and Rasmus really only had 1.5 good months(thus far).

We are of course talking about trading for these guys though, so if he needs time to adjust to the AL(I'm not convinced this is a real thing) then he'll have a few months to do so.

I know money is a factor, Rasmus will probably be much cheaper, but Sandoval is absolutely a guy I'd take a chance on.

Well, the only other options out there that will make a significant impact are Headley and Hanley Ramirez.

If we could actually believe in Ramirez playing a competent level of MLB SS, I'd take that risk over Headley or Sandoval, simply because of the importance of getting offense from another position on the field...with a premium on big numbers from your two middle infielders.

Of course, Ramirez has a lot of wear and tear on him, and significant injuries over the last 2-3 seasons.

That said, if he was available for 3-4 years, I'd absolutely roll the dice on him...but I'd have to be 100% confident he was 1) past all of his injuries and 2) capable of playing SS for 140-145 games.

All of these question marks will somewhat limit his demands for anything much above $100 million. That said, Ramirez is getting older and it would be another version of the Adam Dunn acquisition...where you're basically forced to compete in the NOW (like the Royals with Shields) and that would also mean you would have to address catcher, bullpen (if it's shaky all this season) and possibly one spot in the rotation.

Ramirez would be 31 at the beginning of 2014, but, in reality, in terms of wear and tear, playing from the age of 14-15-16, etc., he's more like 33-34.

It also doesn't address the LH issue.

Eaton

Semien or A.Garcia

Abreu

Hanley Ramirez

Viciedo/DeAza (DH position, rotating all the outfielders and infielders)

A.Garcia (hitting 2nd or 6th)

LF

Davidson

Catcher

Semien (hitting 2nd or 9th)

That would give you five guys with a lot of power, one with a combination (DeAza), ??? at catcher and then Semien and Eaton for your speed/aggressiveness/small ball attack.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 12:49 AM)
Well, the only other options out there that will make a significant impact are Headley and Hanley Ramirez.

If we could actually believe in Ramirez playing a competent level of MLB SS, I'd take that risk over Headley or Sandoval, simply because of the importance of getting offense from another position on the field...with a premium on big numbers from your two middle infielders.

Of course, Ramirez has a lot of wear and tear on him, and significant injuries over the last 2-3 seasons.

That said, if he was available for 3-4 years, I'd absolutely roll the dice on him...but I'd have to be 100% confident he was 1) past all of his injuries and 2) capable of playing SS for 140-145 games.

All of these question marks will somewhat limit his demands for anything much above $100 million. That said, Ramirez is getting older and it would be another version of the Adam Dunn acquisition...where you're basically forced to compete in the NOW (like the Royals with Shields) and that would also mean you would have to address catcher, bullpen (if it's shaky all this season) and possibly one spot in the rotation.

Ramirez would be 31 at the beginning of 2014, but, in reality, in terms of wear and tear, playing from the age of 14-15-16, etc., he's more like 33-34.

It also doesn't address the LH issue.

Eaton

Semien or A.Garcia

Abreu

Hanley Ramirez

Viciedo/DeAza (DH position, rotating all the outfielders and infielders)

A.Garcia (hitting 2nd or 6th)

LF

Davidson

Catcher

Semien (hitting 2nd or 9th)

That would give you five guys with a lot of power, one with a combination (DeAza), ??? at catcher and then Semien and Eaton for your speed/aggressiveness/small ball attack.

Not true. Rockies are overloaded with Lefty outfielders (Blackmon and Dickerson) and, according to recent articles, they would love to trade one for either a pitcher or right handed hitting outfielder. Both are already good, hitters, better than our duo in left.. And still relatively cheap.

if Viciedo is underperforming again and/or DeAza is traded, then move either Eaton or Rasmus to LF?

What kind of package would it take? Do we have the pieces?

Finally, and most importantly, would the advantages of having him in Chicago and in the organization for 2-3 months weigh at all on his decision about free agency? Would JR/Hahn/KW be willing to commit even more money to him than Abreu?

Obviously, if they wait until the offseason, the odds of signing Rasmus (assuming he's coming off another 800ish OPS season) would be somewhere between slim and NONE.

However, if you did have Rasmus, you'd:

1) Have a much better outfield defensively, with Eaton/Rasmus instead of Eaton and DeAza/Viciedo

2) Address one of the biggest offseason issues, which is LH power and balance in the line-up

Obviously, there's a lot of due diligence to be done after the way things ended with LaRussa in StL and the impact of Rasmus' father (sort of like the Nick Swisher situation when he was with us).

When is the last time a team not in contention traded for a guy with an expiring contract? Find me an example, and then I'll waste my time answering the question.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 06:25 AM)
Not true. Rockies are overloaded with Lefty outfielders (Blackmon and Dickerson) and, according to recent articles, they would love to trade one for either a pitcher or right handed hitting outfielder. Both are already good, hitters, better than our duo in left.. And still relatively cheap.

Dickerson, that used to be on the Reds? Seriously?

I've never even heard of Blackmon...unless he used to be a basketball player.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 12:57 AM)
Rasmus is basically De Aza with 7-10 more homers. I wouldn't load the truck for that.

Ideally we'd like more power in LF anyway

Rasmus hit 22 homers in only 118 games.

Projected out over 162 games or 600ish AB's, that's 30+. Not to mention that he would be a "plus" defender there, or push Eaton out of CF to LF. (That's not such a huge issue unless Eaton's arm is not back to 100%).

Edited by caulfield12