High School Football ~ Texas Sized

It was rejected by the voters, but, there are several $50,000,000 stadiums around the state. My district is looking at a multimillion dollar scoreboard paid for by ad revenue.

$60,000,000 stadium closed for repairs 18 months after being built.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/story/_/id/10528...ium-allen-texas

This is why your state's sport's programs are so lame

Can you imagine selling out a 18,000 seat stadium for a high school game?

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 03:15 PM)

It was rejected by the voters, but, there are several $50,000,000 stadiums around the state. My district is looking at a multimillion dollar scoreboard paid for by ad revenue.

$60,000,000 stadium closed for repairs 18 months after being built.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/story/_/id/10528...ium-allen-texas

This is why your state's sport's programs are so lame

Can you imagine selling out a 18,000 seat stadium for a high school game?

I have been to a high school basketball game with 40,000 people.

True. Though Indiana contains something like 7 of the 10 biggest HS basketballs stadiums too.

Yes, but at least those are a bit more practical than a super-fancy football stadium. You can play basketball, volleyball, plus hold practices, school assemblies, and gym classes. A lot of these football stadiums in Texas are getting used only 6-8 times a year for football games.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 08:18 PM)
How much are tickets at these Texas HS games?

Season tickets or single game? Through a scalper or direct from the school?

I've paid anywhere from $10 to $25 per seat.

BTW, the stadium in Allen isn't just for football the golf team has a locker room there and it can host wrestling meets in a different area.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)
Season tickets or single game? Through a scalper or direct from the school?

I've paid anywhere from $10 to $25 per seat.

BTW, the stadium in Allen isn't just for football the golf team has a locker room there and it can host wrestling meets in a different area.

Does the cost vary if they come direct from the school?

In Indiana the cost of a basketball or football game is $6, no matter what, if the ticket comes from the school. That doesn't change until the post season, but it still has a set cost structure that is the same at all venues which are hosting the same round of the tournament (ie all Regional games cost the same ticket cost, no matter where you go to a Regional game).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)
Does the cost vary if they come direct from the school?

In Indiana the cost of a basketball or football game is $6, no matter what, if the ticket comes from the school. That doesn't change until the post season, but it still has a set cost structure that is the same at all venues which are hosting the same round of the tournament (ie all Regional games cost the same ticket cost, no matter where you go to a Regional game).

Each school is able to set their prices as I understand it. They even charge opposing coaches in some arenas. We offer a special student section that is student only for reduced cost I believe $3 until the playoffs.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)
That's such an insane amount of money to watch mediocre football.

It is, but this is Texas football and far from a mediocre entertainment experience. For example it takes well over 250 students to put on a varsity football game. We have a total school enrollment around 2,000. There will be 80 players on the varsity roster. The band will have 80 to 100 members. There will be 20-25 cheerleaders, the pep squads will have another 30 or so. Then all the various extra acts and stuff. Teams will arrive in 6 or more buses being led by police from their town with sirens and lights blazing. The band will typically have a semi-trailer of stuff to be unloaded. There are large inflatable helmets or other device to be run through, smoke, fireworks, music.

I am not exaggerating when I tell you I was in a coaches meeting where they unveiled the plans for a new $2,000,000+ scoreboard. They asked if anyone had seen anything as cool. I of course said YES! The White Sox have an exploding scoreboard that fireworks go off whenever the good guys hit a home run. I swear he took notes and I have no doubt he looked into having fireworks for the new scoreboard.

The local radio station has reporters at every area game, typically 25 on a Friday night. The TV stations will lead with HS football and fans know the rosters of the opposing teams as well as their own.

It's crazy.

Up here, schools are spending money on astro turf fields and you have ignorant patents who are against it because they think "it's only for 4 or 5 football games a year."

It's totally the opposite. It's used for track n field, soccer, gym class, etc and in the long run is worth it financially because you don't need to pay for maintenance.