4/8 Games

flavum

The K rate for Hawkins is still concerning but he looks better at the plate. He has massive power. Very promising start still compared to what ended up happening last year. Davidson is trying to force his way to Chicago. Jared Mitchell is awful. I love checking that Winston Salem box score because of all the talent down there. One last thing, Rondon has been very impressive. If he can hit at all, that Peavy trade could be a major coup.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 08:08 AM)
The K rate for Hawkins is still concerning but he looks better at the plate. He has massive power. Very promising start still compared to what ended up happening last year. Davidson is trying to force his way to Chicago. Jared Mitchell is awful. I love checking that Winston Salem box score because of all the talent down there. One last thing, Rondon has been very impressive. If he can hit at all, that Peavy trade could be a major coup.

Agree with everything. Rondon has been hitting really well early in the season. I love all 4 players Sox got from the Peavy deal.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
Hawkins BABIP is absurd currently. He has got to lower the Ks if he wants to be an impact Major Leaguer. I don't care how many bombs he hits, guys who K a ton in the minors have rough times in the majors.

It's 5/9 :lol:

And 3 of them are doubles so there's a good chance he squared at least a couple of them up

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)
It's 5/9 :lol:

And 3 of them are doubles so there's a good chance he squared at least a couple of them up

I am not doubting that when Hawkins hits it, he hits hard. Power has never been an issue and will never be an issue. It's contact rate. He is still striking out 33% of his plate appearances and not taking walks.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 12:03 PM)
I am not doubting that when Hawkins hits it, he hits hard. Power has never been an issue and will never be an issue. It's contact rate. He is still striking out 33% of his plate appearances and not taking walks.

At this point, I'm more concerned about the lack of walks than the strikeouts. We know the strikeouts are always going to be a part of his game. It's not going to magically disappear just because he's repeating the level. However, if he walks he can be useful with a decent on-base and big power. That's not happening right now.