Bullpen Leverage and Maikel Cleto

Feeky Magee

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 03:35 PM)
Let's face it. You cannot trade Addison Reed and have no closer in waiting and expect anything but this to happen. It was a boneheaded decision to trade Reed with NOTHING left over. How this team is flirting with .500 is amazing with this bullpen. And if the rotation loses Sale ... wow, the bullpen is going to be needed A LOT. The bullpen has sucked for years now but at least the Sox have always had a closer.

Yes you can. A closer on a rebuilding team is a complete waste, especially when said closer gets you a potential starting 3B for the next six years. It doesn't really matter what the bullpen does this year in terms of rebuilding.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 08:36 PM)
Hahn traded a reliever for a guy who has high upside and could be in the starting lineup for 6 years. It was not a bad trade.

I contend it's an awful trade because he had nobody waiting in the wings to close. I guess the answer to that is the Sox don't care about this season at all, blah blah blah. You've got to have a closer candidate and they made no attempt to find one to replace Reed. And Nate Jones is not the answer. If they thought he was ... Wow.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 03:35 PM)
Let's face it. You cannot trade Addison Reed and have no closer in waiting and expect anything but this to happen. It was a boneheaded decision to trade Reed with NOTHING left over. How this team is flirting with .500 is amazing with this bullpen. And if the rotation loses Sale ... wow, the bullpen is going to be needed A LOT. The bullpen has sucked for years now but at least the Sox have always had a closer.

What?

The closer has been a role the Sox have struggled with for years. It seems like they get a good year out of one guy, then said guy comes in the next year and sucks.

Reed was traded for a reason. The need for a long term fix at 3rd base was something that had to be taken care of. Time will tell with Davidson, but it was the right trade to make.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)
I contend it's an awful trade because he had nobody waiting in the wings to close. I guess the answer to that is the Sox don't care about this season at all, blah blah blah. You've got to have a closer candidate and they made no attempt to find one to replace Reed. And Nate Jones is not the answer. If they thought he was ... Wow.

Sigh. Nate Jones is hurt. Let's wait until he comes back healthy before deciding he can't close.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)

Having a closer on this team is like having a car alarm on an 82 Chevette.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 08:37 PM)
Yes you can. A closer on a rebuilding team is a complete waste, especially when said closer gets you a potential starting 3B for the next six years. It doesn't really matter what the bullpen does this year in terms of rebuilding.

Then why is Adam Dunn on this team? Why is Konerko? Why is Beckham? Why is Lexi? These are not guys who will be a part of the future?

My point is in this s***ty division, there's no reason to give away your only possible closer when all it takes is flirting with .500 then catching lightning in September to win the patsy division. This bullpen is so bad it is laughable. Is it even a good AAA bullpen? Seriously.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 04:39 PM)
What?

The closer has been a role the Sox have struggled with for years. It seems like they get a good year out of one guy, then said guy comes in the next year and sucks.

Reed was traded for a reason. The need for a long term fix at 3rd base was something that had to be taken care of. Time will tell with Davidson, but it was the right trade to make.

What you write is simply not abnormal in baseball. There is literally 1 team in MLB who came into 2014 with the same projected closer as 2011. Only 8 teams have the same projected closer as 2012. And that's before injuries!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 08:44 PM)
What you write is simply not abnormal in baseball. There is literally 1 team in MLB who came into 2014 with the same projected closer as 2011. Only 8 teams have the same projected closer as 2012. And that's before injuries!

If our projected closer was Jones, that is just not right. Bad baseball minds making that call IMO.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
Then why is Adam Dunn on this team? Why is Konerko? Why is Beckham? Why is Lexi? These are not guys who will be a part of the future?

My point is in this s***ty division, there's no reason to give away your only possible closer when all it takes is flirting with .500 then catching lightning in September to win the patsy division. This bullpen is so bad it is laughable. Is it even a good AAA bullpen? Seriously.

Did any of those guys render an offer of a 6 year positional starter in a trade?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 08:48 PM)
Did any of those guys render an offer of a 6 year positional starter in a trade?

I guess if Davidson is a George Brett phenom the pains of this year will be worth it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)

This is a terrible argument. The AL Central is not a s***ty division anymore. You have to know this. Detroit is a very good team. Cleveland is getting better every year. Even KC is getting better.

And to answer your question, yes, this bullpen would be good in AAA. There is a huge difference in hitting (and pitching for that matter) from AAA to the majors.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 09:01 PM)
Come on greg, not even you're this bad. You're straight up trolling with a comment like this.

I should stop now and wait for some board support. My take is the division sucks; Abreu and the lineup has been fantastic meaning this could be a .500 team. On paper with Sale, Q and Danks and an emerging Erik it's a fair to good rotation, especially for our division. But ... with a GIVE UP bullpen, the worst bullpen imaginable, .500 isn't possible. All it would take is hanging around .500 to .550 all year and we'd be in it.

That brings us to REED.

He would make a world of difference in the bullpen options though arguably the bullpen still "might" suck.

My position is not outlandish.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
I should stop now and wait for some board support. My take is the division sucks; Abreu and the lineup has been fantastic meaning this could be a .500 team. On paper with Sale, Q and Danks and an emerging Erik it's a fair to good rotation, especially for our division. But ... with a GIVE UP bullpen, the worst bullpen imaginable, .500 isn't possible. All it would take is hanging around .500 to .550 all year and we'd be in it.

That brings us to REED.

He would make a world of difference in the bullpen options though arguably the bullpen still "might" suck.

You're position is absolutely ludicrous. The bullpen is not going to go from hot garbage to lights out because of Addison Reed, and he's not even a great reliever either. He's a satisfactory closer.

That brings us to REED.

Yes. You shouldn't post until at least five people support your position.

That brings us to REED.

So he would make a world of difference, but the bullpen would still suck. Okay. With Reed, we wouldn't have a potential future 3rd baseman signed for six years. One guy in the bullpen doesn't make a difference. This is as bad as your arguments last year that having AJ would have saved the season.

That brings us to REED.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
Let's face it. It's a miracle the Sox are close to .500. Once the hitting cools off we're still a 90-95 loss team. The split was a nice miracle in Detroit. Like I said, a miracle.

Our only hope of remaining close to .500 is if Abreu, Viciedo and Dunn and Lexi rake all summer and Sale can pitch. Abreu is so good that might happen.

I mean, what's going on here greg? What is your position? That this team is good or this team is bad?

If you really believe that Addison Reed turns a 90-95 loss team into a contender, I strongly encourage you to seek medical attention because something is going on that shouldn't be going on.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)

The way Jones finished last year, he was a reasonable option as a placeholder, at least, and possibly better. He just hasn't been healthy, but it's still early.