5/19 Games (BIR, KAN)

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ May 19, 2014 -> 09:46 PM)
Is Kevan Smith still considered a prospect?

Hitting for a decent average, but minimal power. About a month from 26th birthday and still in AA ball.

My guess is probably not?

Marginal.

He's not on very many organizational Top 20-25 lists out there. Maybe 20-30, in that range.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ May 19, 2014 -> 08:46 PM)
Is Kevan Smith still considered a prospect?

Hitting for a decent average, but minimal power. About a month from 26th birthday and still in AA ball.

My guess is probably not?

I wouldn't immediately discount him as a prospect despite his advanced age, when he was at Pitt he was more focused on football in his first few years there and then decided to devote more time to baseball when his future prospects for the NFL dried up so when we drafted him he was very raw and still learning the game. He's a tremendous athlete as evidenced by him actually starting a few games at QB for Pitt so the lack of power shouldn't necessarily be a huge concern or his ability to stick behind the dish.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 19, 2014 -> 11:50 PM)
Birmingham scored 3x as many runs as they had in their previous six.

Every starter got an base at least twice.

You'd be hard-pressed with Micah Johnson gone to name one of the Barons' current starters that has a good chance at being a major league regular in the future.

Perhaps Ravelo, but he's got to prove himself over a full-season, show a bit more pop and also stay 100% healthy.

Decent AA debut from Recchia, especially against the strongest offense in that league.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ May 19, 2014 -> 10:55 PM)
I wouldn't immediately discount him as a prospect despite his advanced age, when he was at Pitt he was more focused on football in his first few years there and then decided to devote more time to baseball when his future prospects for the NFL dried up so when we drafted him he was very raw and still learning the game. He's a tremendous athlete as evidenced by him actually starting a few games at QB for Pitt so the lack of power shouldn't necessarily be a huge concern or his ability to stick behind the dish.

Agreed, that's the story with Smith. Yes he's a prospect, but he's fringe.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 20, 2014 -> 02:11 AM)
You'd be hard-pressed with Micah Johnson gone to name one of the Barons' current starters that has a good chance at being a major league regular in the future.

Perhaps Ravelo, but he's got to prove himself over a full-season, show a bit more pop and also stay 100% healthy.

Ravelo hasn't had any significant health issues or missed much time, so I'm not sure where you are getting that. He's likely to see Charlotte this year, his hit tool his big, his plate discipline is special, he hits a ton of doubles, and the power is increasing. His position is his problem.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 20, 2014 -> 02:11 AM)

Yeah that lineup is mostly organizational depth now. I'm a fan of Ravelo, he just turned 22 and has an advanced hit tool, but we'll see if he has a place defensively in Chicago. Trayce Thompson looks to be nothing more than a 4th outfielder at this point.

EDIT: I forgot Kevan Smith, he's old for the level, but he's a good athlete and has hit well at every level. He's got a shot at making it.

Edited by southside hitman

QUOTE (southside hitman @ May 20, 2014 -> 12:08 PM)
Yeah that lineup is mostly organizational depth now. I'm a fan of Ravelo, he just turned 22 and has an advanced hit tool, but we'll see if he has a place defensively in Chicago. Trayce Thompson looks to be nothing more than a 4th outfielder at this point.

EDIT: I forgot Kevan Smith, he's old for the level, but he's a good athlete and has hit well at every level. He's got a shot at making it.

Kevan Smith appeared notably raw behind the plate in person. No passed balls/wp's but really weak in the running game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 20, 2014 -> 01:10 PM)
Kevan Smith appeared notably raw behind the plate in person. No passed balls/wp's but really weak in the running game.

Which is interesting because he does have a strong arm. Which is not the same as being good with it against SB's of course, but still. I should also note, his CS% in the minors has been slightly better than, for example, Nieto's was. You might have caught him in a bad game? Hard to tell.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ May 20, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)

Thompson had a pretty good April. It's just that this May is bad, real bad.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 20, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)
Thompson had a pretty good April. It's just that this May is bad, real bad.

Same story with him. He'll be a stud for a few weeks then disappear for a month. He's 23 and repeating the level he should doing better against AA pitching.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ May 20, 2014 -> 04:02 PM)
Same story with him. He'll be a stud for a few weeks then disappear for a month. He's 23 and repeating the level he should doing better against AA pitching.

At this point I almost just feel like they should let him sink or swim in Charlotte.