Home Improvement Issue

Flash Tizzle

Hello Soxtalk, I figured someone with more knowledge than I have about air-conditioning could possibly lend their expertise. I'm considering purchasing a raised ranch (similar image below for those of you unfamiliar with the type of house) from an elderly woman through a friend of my family. Original owner, so it's the typical interior you'd expect of an 80 year old woman -- including no central A/C; just one big ass window unit located near the kitchen. My issue is I'd like to install central A/C; however, maybe 10 years down the road I'd probably entertain the idea of making a second floor addition. Here are the options:

1. Don't remove kitchen window unit, place additional window units around house

2. Place a HVAC system in the attic for now, and then in the future when an addition is considered break it down and reinstall in the second floor addition.

3. Install Central A/C with all necessary duct work, then make accommodations later (with a larger A/C unit, additional ducts) to cool the entire house.

I'm sure I'm missing an idea or two. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate the info. What I'm ultimately trying to do is cool myself off for the meanwhile without having to pay too much in the future when a possible addition is made.

Example of a similar raised ranch and what I'd look to do for an addition:

08619383_0.jpg

Edited by Flash Tizzle

You'll want to be careful about buying a whole new unit. Make sure it's going to be rated to cover the existing square footage and also the additional square footage. Those units aren't cheap (several thousand +), so you don't want to have to upgrade later. You always could, but I'd imagine it's much cheaper to buy a single unit rated for what you want versus two.

If it were me (super-cheap), I think i'd see how this summer goes. If you can live with the place with the one unit or maybe an additional unit for another window, i'd do that. If not, then look for the big upgrade.

You're looking at adding A/C, but what's the current heating situation like? Is there already forced-air ductwork throughout the house, or is baseboard/radiator heating or something along those lines?

You could always go with one of the single-room ductless units if you really only need to cool a few additional rooms. They're not cheap themselves, but you could probably get 4-5 installed for the price of one new central A/C installation.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ramsond-9-500-B...c1vZc4m1Z2bctxo

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 21, 2014 -> 12:05 PM)
You'll want to be careful about buying a whole new unit. Make sure it's going to be rated to cover the existing square footage and also the additional square footage. Those units aren't cheap (several thousand +), so you don't want to have to upgrade later. You always could, but I'd imagine it's much cheaper to buy a single unit rated for what you want versus two.

Given that he's talking about 10 years out before the addition, it might be more economical to size the unit for the house as it is now and then add a second unit with the addition. You could even have them as completely independent systems then with different temperature profiles throughout the day (e.g. downstairs is cooler during the day because that's where you spend your time, but upstairs is cooler at night for sleeping).

I don't actually know whether it'd be cheaper in the long run, but you do loose efficiency if you oversize your units so you'll be paying more for the 10 years prior to adding the addition.

Here where AC is everything and heating is an afterthought, many two story homes have two units. Managed carefully, I'm told, you will save on your electric costs.

I would size the unit for what you have and worry about the upgrade later. A few things could happen, you never add on, either because you have sold the house, are renting it as investment property, etc. The next thing is in ten years you do build the addition and the technology has improved to the point where your ROI of a newer, bigger unit will be short instead of relying on the health of an older unit.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 27, 2014 -> 09:57 AM)
Here where AC is everything and heating is an afterthought, many two story homes have two units. Managed carefully, I'm told, you will save on your electric costs.

I would size the unit for what you have and worry about the upgrade later. A few things could happen, you never add on, either because you have sold the house, are renting it as investment property, etc. The next thing is in ten years you do build the addition and the technology has improved to the point where your ROI of a newer, bigger unit will be short instead of relying on the health of an older unit.

Thats what I have, two units. However for me since its an old house I dont think the ductwork on my second floor was done correctly so thats also very important if you want to save money.