Houston Astros' Internal Trade Talks

Goober

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 07:02 PM)
I think we'd all be, but the problem is the Astros may still sell him as a 130 wRC+ catcher. Given what they asked for Bud Norris & Lucas Harrell, I don't see them being realistic with their demands for Castro, not when he's one of their best chips.

I still think Grandal makes more sense for us. He's younger and under team control for an additional season, plus I think his bat projects better for our lineup. He won't be easy to get, regardless of his down year so far, but maybe a package centered around Davidson (assuming a rebound), Beck, and an A ball wild card would be something they'd consider in the offseason.

You don't give up on Davidson yet, Grandal has had a bad season, you buy low, that would not cost Davidson.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 08:15 PM)
Garcia is naturally a fat guy. He's fat right now. He's a groundball hitter. He relies on speed. He has a flat swing and doesn't get much lift. It's a recipe for a bust. That's why the Tigers gave him up for a no bat SS.

Completely disagree. Tigers were desperate at the time for a SS with aspirations of winning a World Series. Their outfield was already set and at the time Iglesias had a hot bat. You cannot call him a bust with 30 plate appearances this year...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 08:15 PM)
Garcia is naturally a fat guy. He's fat right now. He's a groundball hitter. He relies on speed. He has a flat swing and doesn't get much lift. It's a recipe for a bust. That's why the Tigers gave him up for a no bat SS.

You are contradicting yourself. He is fat or not? If he's fat now, how is he relying on his speed? Who considers Avisail Garcia particularly fast anyway? He hustles, but he doesn't beat out many infield hits. In the majors, only 5.7% of his hits were infield hits, which is around average. His BABIP is a little high, .349, but hey BABIP is going to be higher on players who hit a lot of ground balls. Players like Billy Hamilton and Dee Gordon can rely on their speed, there is absolutely nothing that supports Garcia is in any way relying on his speed for his hits.

If you are trying to say you don't believe his body type will hold up well as he ages, I wholeheartedly agree with you. However, he is 23 and by all accounts from those who have actually seen him in person, he is fit and strong and many years from his physical decline.

Edited by southside hitman

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 09:56 PM)
You are contradicting yourself. He is fat or not? If he's fat now, how is he relying on his speed? Who considers Avisail Garcia particularly fast anyway? He hustles, but he doesn't beat out many infield hits. In the majors, only 5.7% of his hits were infield hits, which is around average. His BABIP is a little high, .349, but hey BABIP is going to be higher on players who hit a lot of ground balls. Players like Billy Hamilton and Dee Gordon can rely on their speed, there is absolutely nothing that supports Garcia is in any way relying on his speed for his hits.

If you are trying to say you don't believe his body type will hold up well as he ages, I wholeheartedly agree with you. However, he is 23 and by all accounts from those who have actually seen him in person, he is fit and strong and many years from his physical decline.

Have you seen him lately? He's fat right now, which is what I said.

There's a lot more to relying speed than infield hits. He doesn't have much power which is reflected in his slugging percentage. His game doesn't match his body and most likely never will. His bust potential is extremely high and IMO, his ceiling is limited.

Fat. No patience. Not enough power. What am I missing here?

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 10:16 PM)

There's a lot more to relying speed than infield hits. He doesn't have much power which is reflected in his slugging percentage. His game doesn't match his body and most likely never will. His bust potential is extremely high and IMO, his ceiling is limited.

I guess, aside from his age, if Hahn has decided that Avisail is one of the four players that he wants to hitch his wagon to, then he's gotta think there's something there, and I trust his judgment more than anyone's here, even if he ends up being wrong.

I don't know, I just really enjoyed watching him play after not being the biggest fan of his acquisition. You can certainly see the tools are there, which is why it was such a bummer that he got hurt. The thing that he needed more than anything was 500+ at bats.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 04:16 AM)

Is he really fat? If so that's demoralizing. If not WTF?

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 10:16 PM)

You mean lately as in the past few months since his injury? When he had surgery and has been physically unable to workout? That is ridiculous.

As far as your other points, I can understand your concern on his plate discipline and power numbers. Fair enough. He had shown improvement this year over a small sample size, which is why it is so unfortunate he went down. Hopefully he comes back next year strong.

Edited by southside hitman