7/7 Games

fathom

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)
So a guy on July 8th hitting .200 with 101 strikeouts has conquered AAA.

I realize the Sox minor league system has been weak, but this shows just how bad it is.

Has he conquered the International League? Perhaps not. The facts are he was 18% more productive than the average hitter in the PCL last year and then he went up and played a month in the bigs in which he appeared plenty prepared as well.

Everything about this season screams "external factors" and that now appears to be the case as he is figuring things out. I continue to think as I did before the season that the next logical step in his development is to play in the big leagues. Does that mean that he can't continue development in AAA? No. You can get better at baseball anywhere. Dealing with this adversity has already paid off, if you believe some of the things he's been saying.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 11:04 AM)
yep, and his numbers were inflated playing in a hitter's paradise last year in the PCL.

This is why we have league-adjusted statistics.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Conquered" would be a stretch, but he has put up .249/.322/.450 line at AAA with 32 homers in 195 games. His BABIP this season is at .246, which is 50 points lower than his career average. I believe he'll settle in around .250/.320/.450 and provide 20-25 homers, which is about league average.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 8, 2014 -> 12:35 PM)
Has he conquered the International League? Perhaps not. The facts are he was 18% more productive than the average hitter in the PCL last year and then he went up and played a month in the bigs in which he appeared plenty prepared as well.

Everything about this season screams "external factors" and that now appears to be the case as he is figuring things out. I continue to think as I did before the season that the next logical step in his development is to play in the big leagues. Does that mean that he can't continue development in AAA? No. You can get better at baseball anywhere. Dealing with this adversity has already paid off, if you believe some of the things he's been saying.

This is why we have league-adjusted statistics.

The average hitter in the PCL isn't going to be a starter in the major leagues. He did well in Reno, but their team put up .283/.342/.428.