Revisiting Eaton/Santiago trade

caulfield12

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 08:08 AM)
It's amazing the smear campaigns you see upon players leaving an organization. The Sox used to be notorious for doing that type of thing, but they've gotten much better about it in recent years.

I always wondered why teams would do that sometimes when a player left. My old man would say that teams did it in case a player they didnt resign or they traded ended up playing very well for their new team, that way it would look more like he had to go. Also if the trade worked out well for the team they looked even better.

Personally i always try to see it as i only worry about the players on the team, but then again i dont play for the sox or manage them. I only watch them on tv and occasionally pretend how i would run the team and easily win the world series yearly.

QUOTE (venom4789 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 12:53 AM)
I always wondered why teams would do that sometimes when a player left. My old man would say that teams did it in case a player they didnt resign or they traded ended up playing very well for their new team, that way it would look more like he had to go. Also if the trade worked out well for the team they looked even better.

Personally i always try to see it as i only worry about the players on the team, but then again i dont play for the sox or manage them. I only watch them on tv and occasionally pretend how i would run the team and easily win the world series yearly.

throwing out the trash so to speak.

I am glad JR took a stance and told the sox management not to do that. I can't

remember the date, but he did it after he came back to hit him.

they kind of went against that rule with ozzie.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 08:15 AM)
they kind of went against that rule with ozzie.

Ozzie was a POS in his last year with the Sox, essentially talking contract with the Marlins while still under contract with the Sox. That wasn't a smear campaign whatsoever, that was the White Sox publicizing how big of a jerk Ozzie had become.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 07:55 AM)
His war would have 5th on the staff at the cost of nothing. It's a hole.

If you wish we had a 0.7 fWAR out of our 5th spot, you're not factoring in opportunity cost. The fact that our 5th starter happened to be worse doesn't change the fact that a 0.7 fWAR starter isn't very valuable.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
Ozzie was a POS in his last year with the Sox, essentially talking contract with the Marlins while still under contract with the Sox. That wasn't a smear campaign whatsoever, that was the White Sox publicizing how big of a jerk Ozzie had become.

and I am not going to disagree. however others might think differently.