Did Adam Dunn ruin baseball?

southsider2k5

I wonder if after a few weeks off Dunn has already changed his mind. There's no reason for him to quit if some team is willing to pay him and I'd suspect he could still get a contract. The guy is going to hit 20 homers again if he gets similar amount of at bats to this year. Of course he's going to do all the other things Dunn does.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 25, 2014 -> 09:44 PM)
I wonder if after a few weeks off Dunn has already changed his mind. There's no reason for him to quit if some team is willing to pay him and I'd suspect he could still get a contract. The guy is going to hit 20 homers again if he gets similar amount of at bats to this year. Of course he's going to do all the other things Dunn does.

I think he's content to be rich and hang out with his family. MLB is one of those things you have to be 150% committed to -- I think if there's any doubt, you hang it up. I think he made the right decision. It's not like he needs more money.

Another thing about Dunn that I've thought about in regards to his decision to retire: Do you think he was afraid of being the only player with 500 homers to NOT be in the Hall of Fame? If I were him, I might rather just ride off into the sunset than to have my career murdered by media pundits in five years.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 02:45 PM)
Another thing about Dunn that I've thought about in regards to his decision to retire: Do you think he was afraid of being the only player with 500 homers to NOT be in the Hall of Fame? If I were him, I might rather just ride off into the sunset than to have my career murdered by media pundits in five years.

He would definitely not be the only non-HOFer with 500 homers as I don't think there's a chance in hell Palmeiro gets elected. I think there will be a few others from that era who get overlooked as well and I could even see Sosa not being inducted with 600+ homers.

He was also likely a season and a half away from setting the all-time K record too - he retired 218 short of Reggie Jackson.

I think more of it is that he stopped having fun. He likely got a nice little boost gonig to Oakland, but he had what amounted to 3 years and 5 months of constantly being booed by the Chicago faithful every time he went to the plate. That can wear on a guy. I just don't think he wanted to play as much as he used to.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 02:45 PM)

Assuming that you meant only presumed clean player, because Palmeiro/Sheffield/ManRam/others might never get in, I think boo-ing and age just started to wear him out and he had enough money.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)
He would definitely not be the only non-HOFer with 500 homers as I don't think there's a chance in hell Palmeiro gets elected. I think there will be a few others from that era who get overlooked as well and I could even see Sosa not being inducted with 600+ homers.

He was also likely a season and a half away from setting the all-time K record too - he retired 218 short of Reggie Jackson.

I think more of it is that he stopped having fun. He likely got a nice little boost gonig to Oakland, but he had what amounted to 3 years and 5 months of constantly being booed by the Chicago faithful every time he went to the plate. That can wear on a guy. I just don't think he wanted to play as much as he used to.

Barry Bonds won't get elected with 763.