Looking for a new Kitchen Stove/Range

iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 11:24 AM)
Very cool.

Mind sharing the general pricing per sq/ft with me?

I wish I had the exact number for you, I think it was upwards of $70 sq/ft or so. It was costlier than the other brands which were closer to $62-65 I think. Our price got all changed because our island was so big, we need a special jumbo slab. Those prices included cutting and installation.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 10:17 AM)
I wish I had the exact number for you, I think it was upwards of $70 sq/ft or so. It was costlier than the other brands which were closer to $62-65 I think. Our price got all changed because our island was so big, we need a special jumbo slab. Those prices included cutting and installation.

Great.

Thanks!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 03:50 PM)
Great.

Thanks!

This may or may not help, but I once was in a house with extended family that they had built. It was on a pretty big property, and there was some solid bedrock pretty shallow under parts of the lot. When they had the foundation dug, the construction company pulverized the rocks they dug up, and basically made them into a conglomerate concrete, and just molded that to be their countertops. Adds some labor costs, but removes all the material costs, and gave them something that looked like a less-shiny terrazo with the toughness of concrete. Kind of a neat idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, what an adventure this renovation project has been thus far. I must say, acting as the general contractor for a complete tear down and rebuild of a kitchen/laundry room has been quite challenging. However, I have learned quite a bit about the various trades, as well as how the existing infrastructure of my home works.

We began demo at the beginning of October, and then started tearing up floors. The floors revealed all kinds of challenges, including other floors underneath the existing floors, as well as layers of hardibacker and plywood that needed to be removed and then reinstalled.

Electrical, which was my largest concern going into the project due to the age of the house, has been the most simple thing to deal with thus far.

Plumbing was fairly straightforward as well, since we weren't changing the layout of the sink.

Ventilation was a large challenge, since all of our HVAC ventilation is beneath the floors. The vents were the actually built into cabinets and a breakfast bar that we ultimately demolished. Therefore, we needed to re-route the ventilation to the new areas of the kitchen where it would be the least intrusive, but also evenly ventilate the area.

Once all this was taken care of, we have finally been able to begin rebuilding. The subfloor was installed Monday and Tuesday. Drywall and ceiling repair is happening today and tomorrow. Cabinets will be delivered tomorrow evening and installed Friday! The new flooring will begin going in Monday. Also on Monday, the countertops will be templated/measured for.

Then we will wait for countertops to be fabricated. Once countertops are in, appliances can be installed.

We are shooting for mid-November for completion.

Doing this while having a 4 month old and 4 dogs and two working parents has definitely been a challenge, especially since we are both very busy with work at the moment. However, in the end, I believe it will have all been worth it.

I will post pictures when everything is complete.