Looking for a new Kitchen Stove/Range

iamshack

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 12:39 PM)
Do you tip appliance delivery guys? What says you Soxtalk?

We are having a whole kitchen of appliances delivered tomorrow, but they are only getting put into the corner of the front room for now, so no real extra work needed. Would you tip them? How much?

Topical question!

I had a new fridge and dishwasher delivered last weekend and was debating the same thing. I ended up tipping them 20 because the fridge took a lot of work to get in. They basically had to disassemble everything but the box, move it inside from the back of the house and then reinstall everything inside. I did the actual install on the water line and dishwasher, but still, it wasn't a simple pick-up/drop off situation. I figured 20 bucks for an hour of work, on "free delivery" from ABT, seemed reasonable. I was kind iffy on it and I basically had to grab the guy to give him the tip as he was walking out the door, so I bet it doesn't happen a lot.

We went with a Samsung 4 drawer fridge and a Kitchenaid dishwasher. We were set on a Bosch dishwasher but the ABT guy told us that Bosch and other European manufacturers don't install heating elements, so it's common that the dishes don't dry inside, you have to crack the door and give it some time to air dry. It's also crazy quiet. 43 or 44 db's. The loudest part of the cycle is the sound coming out of the sink drain as the water drains out.

We're now onto our range. There's a GE Cafe that we like a lot, but i'm not sure I want to drop 3k on it. We'll probably wait until the fall when there are good deals on the 2015 models.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 01:17 PM)
We're now onto our range. There's a GE Cafe that we like a lot, but i'm not sure I want to drop 3k on it. We'll probably wait until the fall when there are good deals on the 2015 models.

Honestly unless you do a ton of complex cooking or are in a "high-end" house where those sorts of appliances will be expected by buyers in a couple of years, it's probably not worth. You can get a nice fiver-burner range with convection oven for $1000-$1500.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)
Honestly unless you do a ton of complex cooking or are in a "high-end" house where those sorts of appliances will be expected by buyers in a couple of years, it's probably not worth. You can get a nice fiver-burner range with convection oven for $1000-$1500.

Yeah i'm with you, the 5 burner with convection is all I want/need. Especially since we may move in the next few years. I'm just wasting money on appliances we won't have and the buyers won't be paying for.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 11:17 AM)
Topical question!

I had a new fridge and dishwasher delivered last weekend and was debating the same thing. I ended up tipping them 20 because the fridge took a lot of work to get in. They basically had to disassemble everything but the box, move it inside from the back of the house and then reinstall everything inside. I did the actual install on the water line and dishwasher, but still, it wasn't a simple pick-up/drop off situation. I figured 20 bucks for an hour of work, on "free delivery" from ABT, seemed reasonable. I was kind iffy on it and I basically had to grab the guy to give him the tip as he was walking out the door, so I bet it doesn't happen a lot.

We went with a Samsung 4 drawer fridge and a Kitchenaid dishwasher. We were set on a Bosch dishwasher but the ABT guy told us that Bosch and other European manufacturers don't install heating elements, so it's common that the dishes don't dry inside, you have to crack the door and give it some time to air dry. It's also crazy quiet. 43 or 44 db's. The loudest part of the cycle is the sound coming out of the sink drain as the water drains out.

If they install, I usually (well the every few years someone actually delivers something to my place) tip them 10 or 20 bucks (presuming I'm getting a few appliances). If they literally just drop it off in my garage, like in your case Hurt, that gets tougher. Depends on how much work it was. If it was pretty easy, I probably wouldn't tip.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 11:17 AM)
Topical question!

My Bosch dries really well. Thing I love about Bosch is their anti leak technology, how quiet it runs (although really...it isn't like a dishwasher is a jackhammer so its kind of a moot point), and how well they clean (my dishes were cleaner with my Bosch then any other dishwasher I've ever used. Than again, maybe it is just the newer technology vs. using older diswasher's previously.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 11:05 AM)
My Bosch dries really well. Thing I love about Bosch is their anti leak technology, how quiet it runs (although really...it isn't like a dishwasher is a jackhammer so its kind of a moot point), and how well they clean (my dishes were cleaner with my Bosch then any other dishwasher I've ever used. Than again, maybe it is just the newer technology vs. using older diswasher's previously.

I'll echo this. We have a Bosch dishwasher, it's fantastic. We only run it on the "Eco" cycle, which runs half as long and has always gotten everything clean. No need for other settings in that case! Also Bosch is just a fantastic company, virtually all their profits (that aren't plowed back) go into a trust that does charitable and scientific funding.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 11:05 AM)

You certainly get what you pay for in dishwashers. The different between my old GE and my Kenmore Elite is ridiculous. Quiet, efficient and works like a charm. SAme with my fridge.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 09:18 AM)
I'll echo this. We have a Bosch dishwasher, it's fantastic. We only run it on the "Eco" cycle, which runs half as long and has always gotten everything clean. No need for other settings in that case! Also Bosch is just a fantastic company, virtually all their profits (that aren't plowed back) go into a trust that does charitable and scientific funding.

Plus, you all support my city since Bosch Appliances Corp is headquartered in Irvine, CA.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 11:31 AM)
Plus, you all support my city since Bosch Appliances Corp is headquartered in Irvine, CA.

huh, I thought the building in Mount Prospect was the headquarters

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 02:46 PM)
https://www.bsh-group.com/laender/us/

According to the site, the home appliance company is headquartered in Irvine. I presume Mount Prospect is another division (not appliances)?

Well it looks like they have several different headquarters associated with appliances even.

Most appliances are locally manufactured at the New Bern, NC or La Follette, TN manufacturing facilities. The Irvine headquarters includes; Executive Offices, Sales, Marketing, Finance, Logistics, IT, HR and Customer Support.

We're redoing our kitchen and man, what a pain. I'm glad my wife is dealing with most of it. The stove upgrade really caught me by surprise. We went from a guess that $700 or $800 would be a good budget to double that in a hurry. I can't believe all the advances and new features.

• 2 months later...

Well, we signed papers to refinance our home today and took out some equity. Removed the pmi and went to a 20-year term.

Kitchen renovation project is a full go.

A little frightened about the budget, considering we expect to require plumbing and electrical upgrades to go along with all new cabinets, appliances, countertops and flooring.

Should be interesting though!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 21, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
Went and priced out appliances on Saturday afternoon.

All I can say is HOLY s***!

Yea, big reason why I was looking for a place with limited to zero appliance upgrades needed, so crazy pricey.

My parents had a faulty fridge in their new place in North Carolina, fortunately they had some insurance included in the closing costs to cover issues with the new place. Of course the guy the insurance company sends out is a moron and took forever to fix the issue but a replacement was like $4k (and insurance would only cover $1000) since the sizing was special so they were limited in options, just craziness.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 10:42 AM)
Trying to decide on countertops.

Has anyone gone with quartz? If so, what brand?

We have quartz, don't remember the brand (we looked at several mid- to high-range brands). We went with that over granite due to the zero maintenance and risk of staining, and we've been very happy with it for the last four years. I think the cost was about the same as a granite option.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 08:46 AM)
We have quartz, don't remember the brand (we looked at several mid- to high-range brands). We went with that over granite due to the zero maintenance and risk of staining, and we've been very happy with it for the last four years. I think the cost was about the same as a granite option.

Thanks SS.

We have gone to a few slabyards and don't really care for the granite options. My wife wants something white but also fairly solid, which is difficult to find with granite.

They had a few quartz slabs, but they were made by a company named Quantro out of India. I didn't care much for the reviews I saw online. Apparently a lot of chipping problems.

I think I may just go with Silestone just for peace of mind.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 11:07 AM)
Thanks SS.

We have gone to a few slabyards and don't really care for the granite options. My wife wants something white but also fairly solid, which is difficult to find with granite.

They had a few quartz slabs, but they were made by a company named Quantro out of India. I didn't care much for the reviews I saw online. Apparently a lot of chipping problems.

We just went with the Stellar Snow quartz from Silestone, very happy with it so far.

http://www.silestoneusa.com/colors/color/stellar-snow/

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 11:07 AM)
Thanks SS.

Silestone may be what we went with too. I can check our invoice later tonight, but I don't think it detailed that out. I know we looked at that, Corian and maybe one other brand. I could figure out a rough sqft cost but I think there can be huge regional variations on that sort of stuff.