Could 16 year old Danner be #1 in 2017

Boopa1219

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 30, 2015 -> 02:51 PM)

That kid's stuff is nasty. As I was watching, I kept thinking "why is he throwing so many breaking balls, he is going to need a change-up" and wham, he threw a sick change-up to a lefty. He has one of those rare, 12-to-6 overhand curve balls. Really impressive to see. But hopefully he starts throwing more change-ups because I saw that breaking pitch about 75% of the time as his go-to pitch.

Edited by maggsmaggs

While that is a nice curve ball, I'd be kind of leery of a mid teen that's already throwing a CB and as often as he is. I kind of wonder if there's a correlation between the increase in TJ surgeries and teens throwing breaking balls more often. Not to sound old but even in HS the coaches didn't want pitchers throwing too many breaking balls, if any.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 30, 2015 -> 03:00 PM)
I saw a couple of innings in that game.

IMO, he might be a first rounder, but his stuff wasn't THAT impressive (yet), mostly a high 80's/lower 90's fastball.

More impressed with his offspeed stuff, fwiw.

He's touching 92 as a sophomore. That is impressive. I wonder about that elbow though. Kid has been throwing that plus curve since little league. Should be a Strasburg like prospect though.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 05:08 AM)
While that is a nice curve ball, I'd be kind of leery of a mid teen that's already throwing a CB and as often as he is. I kind of wonder if there's a correlation between the increase in TJ surgeries and teens throwing breaking balls more often. Not to sound old but even in HS the coaches didn't want pitchers throwing too many breaking balls, if any.

i am from the old school esp without any medical support. so with the need to win, esp when someone is so young, teaching them different pitches, that is a recipe for disaster.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 05:14 AM)
He's touching 92 as a sophomore. That is impressive. I wonder about that elbow though. Kid has been throwing that plus curve since little league. Should be a Strasburg like prospect though.

curve ball since little league. sssshhhheeesh i just don't understand it.