Ortiz traded to Atlanta

The Critic

I'm kinda glad we didn't get Ortiz after all of the rumors of Konerko.

I'll stick with what we have and let it develop. If we don't sign anyone, oh well. Let the young guys play. I applaud KW for holding off if the deal wasn't right.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Originally posted by rt59_bnsf

Phil Rogers did NOT say Williams turned that offer down.  IT's WAY more likely that Williams MADE that offer and Sabean laughed at him.

It's possible Sabean then asked for Konerko - and that one Williams had to think about.

I probably would have still done it - but it's definitely one that should have been thought long and hard about.

Russ Ortiz walks a TON of hitters - and that could get you murdered in the AL.

I agree with Chisoxfn - I'd almost rather have Moss - and I'm not sure why Atlanta made this deal.

Of course - Atlanta still needs a first baseman don't they - and San Fran needed to shed salay (which getting Konerko wouldn't do).

Maybe - just maybe - Atlanta turns around and sends Ortiz to the Sox for Paulie - hey stranger things have happened.  Just call me 'conspiracy theorist'.

Great post. I think Ortiz would of definately been able to win 18-20, but hey, the Braves got him at a higher price. I will continue to say that would of been like us trading Garland or maybe Wright for Ortiz. Of course I would of probably done Wright for Ortiz, but it still wouldn't really solve the rotation, it would just be an upgrade.

Interesting to see what Jayson Stark said. I think he's a pretty reliable reporter, much more so, then say Peter Gammons.

It would be like giving up more than Garland in my opinion. Moss had an ERA under 4 in his rookie season. Something Garland would dream of being able to say. I think it was good for SF

'I will continue to say that would of been like us trading Garland or maybe Wright for Ortiz. Of course I would of probably done Wright for Ortiz, but it still wouldn't really solve the rotation, it would just be an upgrade.'

Chisoxfn - you're right:

It would have been more like trading Garland & Honel though. Did you see that prospect the Braves gave up. Sub-2 ERA in whatever A league he was in and also rated 3rb best prospect pf the entire league. Trading Garland for Ortiz is treading water and adding Honel would have pissed us all off.:mad:

It's a good, almost great thing that he didn't do the trade. SF accquired Moss, who will be better than Ortiz, and accquired a legit Top 10 prospect from the Braves.

We would have had to give up Konerko for Ortiz, or give up a Top 10 prospect. It's a good thing KW didn't make the trade.

Originally posted by Jjav829
Originally posted by CubKilla

Let's proclaim ourselves KW Supporters!!!!!

Oh jjav, did you really have to bring that up? Its like when you turn some chick down and once she has a new boyfriend you find out she REALLY REALLY LIKED YOU. Liefer, Harris and Malone for Russ Ortiz and he said no! f*** that whiner Liefer, Harris will never amount to much and Malone has control problems at AA. It woulda been a steal! So KW you can say yes to one really good prospect, one decent one and a throwin for a piece of crap named Ritchie but you cant say yes to two bums and a decent prospect for an ace on a great pitching staff? Youre a f***ing loser KW. I dont wanna know who this number 1 guy KW is looking for is. Omar Daal? Ismael Valdes? Probably...

Roman...relax a bit.

The deal the Braves had was a top young starter who had a 3.60 era or so last season and was 12-6. That wasn't in a full season either.

Moss is a better pitcher then Ortiz, imo or will be and they also got a top prospect from the Braves.

The only similar deal we could of offered was PK and a prospect straight up for Ortiz or Wright or Garland and something like Brian West.

We'd of been nuts to do either of those, imo.

KW never turned down that Liefer deal.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

Roman...relax a bit.

The deal the Braves had was a top young starter who had a 3.60 era or so last season and was 12-6.  That wasn't in a full season either.

Moss is a better pitcher then Ortiz, imo or will be and they also got a top prospect from the Braves.

The only similar deal we could of offered was PK and a prospect straight up for Ortiz or Wright or Garland and something like Brian West.

We'd of been nuts to do either of those, imo.

KW never turned down that Liefer deal.

speaking of atlanta why the hell dont we ever deal with them???..they are known for giving up good prospects for the guy they want???...they seem to be a good organization to deal with...

they need a 1st baseman...why havent we dealt with them???...we could have dealt them herbert perry 2 years ago for a hell of alot more then what texas gave us