Jared Mitchell released, Tyler Colvin signed

Heads22

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 4, 2015 -> 05:14 AM)
Tim Beckham went first overall and Gordon Beckham's 2009 is better than anything Tim Beckham has done during his career.

Beckham is still a top five player in WAR from that draft class. I think people hate Beckham mostly because we saw that 2009 and saw what he could have been. But yea, Tim Beckham is one of the bigger busts in recent draft history; Gordon Beckham has at least been a Major League player for six years.

Looked it up, he is tied with Hosmer at a career 6.6 WAR. Now, I am sure in a few years, Beckham will drop on that list, but still he did not "bust" like most draft picks, simply did not live up to his potential. He still have carved out a decent ML career.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 4, 2015 -> 07:38 AM)
Beckham is still a top five player in WAR from that draft class. I think people hate Beckham mostly because we saw that 2009 and saw what he could have been. But yea, Tim Beckham is one of the bigger busts in recent draft history; Gordon Beckham has at least been a Major League player for six years.

Looked it up, he is tied with Hosmer at a career 6.6 WAR. Now, I am sure in a few years, Beckham will drop on that list, but still he did not "bust" like most draft picks, simply did not live up to his potential. He still have carved out a decent ML career.

Right. Jeter, Stone and others whet our appetites too much by declaring that he would be a multi-time MVP. Harold Reynolds said he'd be the 2B of the Decade when it was all said and done.

Tim Beckham's a bust and the Sox couldn't have picked him in the first place.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 4, 2015 -> 03:20 AM)
Yes. I actually much prefer the high ceiling high bust rate shots the are taking in recent drafts. I do however have concerns about player development in the hitting side in recent years.

This is what it comes down to for me. At the end of the day, regardless of who you bring in as a manager or a general manager, regardless of who you draft or sign internationally, you have to have confidence that you can develop players. I have no confidence that this organization can develop a position player. There is no evidence that they can. So how can I get excited about anything?

QUOTE (Butter Parque @ May 4, 2015 -> 02:46 PM)
This is what it comes down to for me. At the end of the day, regardless of who you bring in as a manager or a general manager, regardless of who you draft or sign internationally, you have to have confidence that you can develop players. I have no confidence that this organization can develop a position player. There is no evidence that they can. So how can I get excited about anything?

well you do make an excellent point.

however i am seeing an improvement in the hitting, is it b/c the hitting philosophy is coming from the sox hitting coach in the majors??? i think it is..

but it is going to be a long time to see the change.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 4, 2015 -> 04:16 PM)
well you do make an excellent point.

however i am seeing an improvement in the hitting, is it b/c the hitting philosophy is coming from the sox hitting coach in the majors??? i think it is..

but it is going to be a long time to see the change.

I've seen guys get by and hit well in the minors before. I;d really like to see these guys come up to the big leagues, have a solid approach, and learn how to adjust. I NEVER see that from guys coming up in this system. I hope its changing, but us as fans, shouldn't really believe otherwise until it happens.

QUOTE (Butter Parque @ May 4, 2015 -> 04:32 PM)
I've seen guys get by and hit well in the minors before. I;d really like to see these guys come up to the big leagues, have a solid approach, and learn how to adjust. I NEVER see that from guys coming up in this system. I hope its changing, but us as fans, shouldn't really believe otherwise until it happens.

nice point and i can see and appreciate the skepticism. but it will take a long time to be convince of the change. baby steps.....

• 2 weeks later...