Carlos Pulido

winninguglyin83

just wondering why people think Gardenhire is giving this guy his first start of the season in THIS game.

Be the equivalent of Manuel brining up Brian Cooper or Ryan Kohlmeier from Charlotte and sending one of them to the mound tonight. Sox fans would be demanding his dismissal BEFORE the first pitch.

What do you think Gardenhire is thinking?

Gambling that if they pull it off it is a huge lift for his team for the final five games with the Sox? (It would be.)

Convinced that the Sox struggle mightily against soft-tossers they have not batted against this season? (They have.)

Or is this his only option because Rick Reed has been hurt, he's pissed at Joe Mays for ripping his defense and Eric Milton is not quite ready? (Might be the answer.)

Thoughts?

I think our record against first timers is well-noted around the league. Teams look to start a new guy against "softer" competition, to build up thier confidence. While i don't consider the White Sox "soft"; I do believe our hitters are not as focused when they face these call-ups, as opposed to a clemens, Pedro type.

Let's hope they're focused tonight. They know this is a big series. They should respond well. They usually do.

One other factor that I forgot to mention:

Pulido is left-handed. It gets Jose out of the lineup and turns Robbie and Carl around to right-handed hitters.

Plus, Gardenhire can come with Mays or Reed outta the pen as right-handers. Maybe he thinks he can force Manuel into a couple of pinch-hitting moves.

I just think it's a curious point of the season to give a guy his first big-league start in 2003.

This notion that Sox can't hit pitchers they've never seen, and sending up Pudillo to continue the trend is a HUGE gamble for the Twins. Imagine what's going through this guys head: coming into a playoff race from the minors and having to start at their rivals home field. If were really going to beat Pudillo Sox need to add runs early when he's nervous. Seems too often Sox will let a pitcher get into a groove, and then have to wait till bullpen relief to make a comeback.

Im not one for making predictions, but I have to say this trend stops tonight. If anyone beats the Sox it will be themselves swinging at first pitches and failing to play small ball. But it just has to stop, and it makes sense now more then ever to break out of it. From this point on we probably wont be facing pitchers we've never seen before. (Eith maybe the exception of KC. I know Sox havent faced Gobble)

My opinion on this(unless someone has already said this, in which it would be someone else's opinion that I am just backing) is that Gardenhire has few other options. Reed is a s***ty pitcher, Mays is a s***ty pitcher, Milton is not ready, and Balfour pulled of a Cotts the other day against Anaheim. About the only other option you have, aside from letting some rookie/AAAAer start is to have Rincon start, and if you do that, you eliminate one of your better arms FOR THE SERIES.

To put it plainly, this is not move Gardenhire could prevent. Is it risky? Hell yes. But if it fails, it is not Gardenhire's fault....it's Mays's fault that he f***ing sucks...it's Reed's fault he has sucked this year....it is a bad break that Milton was out for so long....etc, etc, etc.

We just (hopefully) got lucky this time around.

One other factor that I forgot to mention:

Pulido is left-handed. It gets Jose out of the lineup and turns Robbie and Carl around to right-handed hitters.

Plus, Gardenhire can come with Mays or Reed outta the pen as right-handers. Maybe he thinks he can force Manuel into a couple of pinch-hitting moves.

How quicly we forget what the sox can do vs. Lefties. Look no further than the last series vs. CLE. They started 3 lefties and the Sox came away with 3 W's.

I love the sox line up vs. Lefties. Something like this, the lineup last friday.

T. Graffanino ss

R. Alomar 2b

F. Thomas dh

M. Ordonez rf

C. Lee lf

C. Everett cf

P. Konerko 1b

J. Crede 3b

Olivo C

Here's some stat's Though I didn't know where to go to get a W-L record.

vs Lefties

1307AB .280AVG 62HR 195RBI 104BB .493SLG .830OPS

vs Righties

3527AB .256AVG 136HR 475RBI 375BB .431SLG .763OPS