If the Sox arent in the top 10, how do you improve this offseason?

Dunt

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 09:16 PM)
The Marlins also have had 8 people manage their team since 2010 and 0 playoff appearances to show for it. They are about the polar opposite of the "loyalty" meme.

and will max out their spending for a span of 3 yrs or 4 to get to the world series and then gut the team. it is a cycle.

now the spending yrs is my estimation.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 11:00 PM)
Just because "There's baseball during a season" doesn't mean it's an opportunity if your big league squad is very weak.

i guess but i thought it would be explain by the poster own thoughts process.

wasted opportunity is in ref to a group of players who fell into the sox lap. like sale, q, jose a, eaton and yes i consider the few promising young players / prospect on the team like rodon, sanchez, and those that on the verge like MJ saladino.

this is the opportunity wasted.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)
They need to get Swisher on the team. Even if he sucks, the first year, the team makes the playoffs. Awful with the Sox...playoffs. Good with the Yankees...playoffs. Awful with Cleveland....playoffs.

Never noticed Swisher but for awhile I thought Uribe was a golden goose

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 07:14 PM)
i guess but i thought it would be explain by the poster own thoughts process.

wasted opportunity is in ref to a group of players who fell into the sox lap. like sale, q, jose a, eaton and yes i consider the few promising young players / prospect on the team like rodon, sanchez, and those that on the verge like MJ saladino.

this is the opportunity wasted.

None of those guys will be gone in 2017-2018 unless we think it is the right move. Yes, this team has some talented players, but almost every team even at the bottom of the league can say that - a few talented guys doesn't put you anywhere near the rosters that are at the top of the league this year. And throwing "Saladino" and "Sanchez" in with Rodon is just silly - those 2 are very much a wild card who could be nothing better than utility players if that. That you have to include those guys in your "wasted opportunity" statement just shows how innaccurate it is...if those guys hit .200 next year no one would be surprised and they'd be the reason your opportunity was wasted...which goes to show how silly it would be to look at 2016 as a "Wasted opportunity".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 11:24 PM)
None of those guys will be gone in 2017-2018 unless we think it is the right move. Yes, this team has some talented players, but almost every team even at the bottom of the league can say that - a few talented guys doesn't put you anywhere near the rosters that are at the top of the league this year. And throwing "Saladino" and "Sanchez" in with Rodon is just silly - those 2 are very much a wild card who could be nothing better than utility players if that. That you have to include those guys in your "wasted opportunity" statement just shows how innaccurate it is...if those guys hit .200 next year no one would be surprised and they'd be the reason your opportunity was wasted...which goes to show how silly it would be to look at 2016 as a "Wasted opportunity".

sanchez as put up numbers, offensive number since his horrible beginning. those number are a fact with many AB's . Rodon number has been shown in a limited games. using part of it as a sure sign of stardom..... no. using your world of pretend of next season, maybe rodon will go 1 - 13. is he still be consider a ace??

yeah saladino offensive stat show he may be nothing more than a utility player. but still those combine makes up forming a nice group of a starting core of a team. to continue to build on.

now using the unknown stat to gage a player production, to claim and to justify a statement is silly. really think on the unknown factor of tomorrow. come on, i thought you would go with facts instead of fantasy land stats.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 07:38 PM)
sanchez as put up numbers, offensive number since his horrible beginning. those number are a fact with many AB's . Rodon number has been shown in a limited games. using part of it as a sure sign of stardom..... no. using your world of pretend of next season, maybe rodon will go 1 - 13. is he still be consider a ace??

yeah saladino offensive stat show he may be nothing more than a utility player. but still those combine makes up forming a nice group of a starting core of a team. to continue to build on.

now using the unknown stat to gage a player production, to claim and to justify a statement is silly. really think on the unknown factor of tomorrow. come on, i thought you would go with facts instead of fantasy land stats.

Since June 19, basically excluding his first month, Sanchez has hit a whopping .263 with a .697 OPS. You're right, if those numbers are the best he can do, it is offensive to lump him in with Rodon.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 25, 2015 -> 01:29 AM)
Since June 19, basically excluding his first month, Sanchez has hit a whopping .263 with a .697 OPS. You're right, if those numbers are the best he can do, it is offensive to lump him in with Rodon.

well, he is still in his first yr. a good promising start. now compare him to the avg 2b in the league. the starting 2b men.

btw, in the bold, i will always give comp for creativity, nice play on words. real subtle snarkiness.

i like it.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 08:52 PM)
well, he is still in his first yr. a good promising start. now compare him to the avg 2b in the league. the starting 2b men.

btw, in the bold, i will always give comp for creativity, nice play on words. real subtle snarkiness.

i like it.

I'm ok with his first year, I'll buy he has promise and is young, but I will counter that to turn him into a "decent baseball player" you've got a lot of work to do. If you play him next year and he hits .230 you can't be surprised. You can't call him hitting .230 next year a "missed opportunity".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 25, 2015 -> 01:55 AM)
I'm ok with his first year, I'll buy he has promise and is young, but I will counter that to turn him into a "decent baseball player" you've got a lot of work to do. If you play him next year and he hits .230 you can't be surprised. You can't call him hitting .230 next year a "missed opportunity".

i will give you that.... it is too good of a statement.

but lets and again think of this, lets think that it can be the start of a good group that fell into their lap. this is a good wasted opportunity to continue to build on. that is, what 6 or 7 young players that this team has under control. now add the players who are in the last of their contracts and those acquired thru fa's.

so here is more of the point. i am not adding the variables needed to clear this up. but here it is.

the sox have

jose, - 1b

sanchez, - 2b

alexei - ss

mekly,

eaton,

avi,

flowers,

adam

sp's

sale

q,

rodon,

danks.

i will not go into the rp's

so now many pieces are needed to improve what is needed. granted, Adam will be there and nothing can be done of that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 07:29 PM)

Agreed about Rodon, but with his defense I'd definitely take a ~.700 OPS from Sanchez.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
The Marlins also have had 8 people manage their team since 2010 and 0 playoff appearances to show for it. They are about the polar opposite of the "loyalty" meme.

Southside:

Personally I'd rather be disloyal and win myself but that's just me.

Loyalty is a wonderful thing especially in today's day and age but when loyalty stops accountability then you have just as big of an issue as having a revolving door no?

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

The Marlins are a great example of why I think some people get too hung up on titles, especially in a sport with playoffs that are as random as baseball. The Marlins had two lucky playoff runs when they didn't even win their division, and otherwise have been one of the worst-run franchises in sports. But because of those two titles some people are willing to give them a pass.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 03:19 PM)
Maybe if Black Jack would have showed up in the playoffs things would have been different. It is funny how you rip loyalty but are loyal to any White Sox employee who speaks to you, and you totally disregard their failures.

1993 playoffs 0-2 10.00 ERA. Yeah Jack not your fault.

Also when the Cubs made it to 2 in a row earlier this decade, the White Soc actually won more playoff games these years.

Dick:

And it's a fact McDowell and Fernandez were tipping their pitches according to Cito Gaston. They lost all four games in 93. Those guys were to good for that to happen without some help. And the Sox brain trust apparently never picked up on it.

And also just to clue you in, Jack was just as hard on himself for his failures as he was to blame others.

And to be clear one final time Dick, I rip loyalty when it impacts and interferes with the ultimate goal...winning baseball games, winning championships.

A blind man can see that loyalty is so highly regarding by this organization that it's handicapping the franchise badly. Why do you think Ventura's returning? Because he's a great manager? LOL.

But feel free to think otherwise, in five years time the Sox will be selling 'hope' to the masses because that's the only excuse they'll have left.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 09:43 PM)
Dick:

And it's a fact McDowell and Fernandez were tipping their pitches according to Cito Gaston. They lost all four games in 93. Those guys were to good for that to happen without some help. And the Sox brain trust apparently never picked up on it.

And also just to clue you in, Jack was just as hard on himself for his failures as he was to blame others.

And to be clear one final time Dick, I rip loyalty when it impacts and interferes with the ultimate goal...winning baseball games, winning championships.

A blind man can see that loyalty is so highly regarding by this organization that it's handicapping the franchise badly. Why do you think Ventura's returning? Because he's a great manager? LOL.

But feel free to think otherwise, in five years time the Sox will be selling 'hope' to the masses because that's the only excuse they'll have left.

Mark

LMAO. You quote a guy saying the team doesn't win because everyone sucks, and that guy gets clobbered twice in a 4 game series, and there is an excuse, he was tipping his pitches. He must have been tipping them his other 2 playoff appearances with the Yankees as well. I wonder why he was tipping during the regular season.

Don't quote Jack McDowell blaming everyone else for lack of playoff success. He is a guy who needs to look in the mirror.

And you already have written off the next 5 years. Brilliant. It must be miserable at your house.

Edited by Dick Allen