John McDonough

jblastick

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 04:01 PM)
The team has won 90 games only 6 times in the 35 years JR's been in charge. In those years it takes everybody by surprise and its all over before they realize what happened. Then its back to mediocrity. :lol:

true and fans are tired of loosing and being expected to be quite and fork over money to a team that is loosing.

if the owners don't want to loose money then put a better product. yet they expect the fans to sacrificed their hard earn money to see a s***ting team.

let the owners loose money for 4 ot 5 seasons, then everyone will see a change.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 11:05 AM)
true and fans are tired of loosing and being expected to be quite and fork over money to a team that is loosing.

if the owners don't want to loose money then put a better product. yet they expect the fans to sacrificed their hard earn money to see a s***ting team.

let the owners loose money for 4 ot 5 seasons, then everyone will see a change.

But will still put plenty of effort into following it and complaining about it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 04:06 PM)
But will still put plenty of effort into following it and complaining about it.

b/c we are fans and simple followers that accept everything that is spewed out.

we as fans are feed up. we want to see a better team on the field.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 11:01 AM)
The team has won 90 games only 6 times in the 35 years JR's been in charge. In those years it takes everybody by surprise and its all over before they realize what happened. Then its back to mediocrity. :lol:

Yet a team that has done that 5 times over the same time period is the biggest fan base in Chicago baseball.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 11:08 AM)
b/c we are fans and simple followers that accept everything that is spewed out.

we as fans are feed up. we want to see a better team on the field.

Cubs fans going to games allowed them to sign Lester during a rebuild. Their going to games has literally allowed them to put a better team on the field.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 04:08 PM)
Yet a team that has done that 5 times over the same time period is the biggest fan base in Chicago baseball.

how man, i really can't believe you went there.

the lowest of all low comparing the sox to that other team.

I'm going to guess if you're on this site regularly, it means you're a huge White Sox fan, and you just want them to make better decisions that will lead them to more wins and sustained success.

The frustration of White Sox fans is completely warranted and valid. If anyone here doesn't have something critical of the White Sox organization, then you're fooling yourself.

Until they make some more organizational moves, they're not going to win and they'll get exactly what they deserve at the box office and lower tv/radio ratings. It's all on the organization, not the consumers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 11:09 AM)
Cubs fans going to games allowed them to sign Lester during a rebuild. Their going to games has literally allowed them to put a better team on the field.

Give credit to the Tribune for doing a hell of a marketing job when they bought the team. They helped create the mystique that surrounds Wrigley Field and the franchise itself.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 10:01 AM)

Historically that's a pretty accurate description.

Mark

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 10:19 AM)
I'm going to guess if you're on this site regularly, it means you're a huge White Sox fan, and you just want them to make better decisions that will lead them to more wins and sustained success.

The frustration of White Sox fans is completely warranted and valid. If anyone here doesn't have something critical of the White Sox organization, then you're fooling yourself.

Until they make some more organizational moves, they're not going to win and they'll get exactly what they deserve at the box office and lower tv/radio ratings. It's all on the organization, not the consumers.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!! You go to a bad restaurant you are under no obligation to return if the meal stinks.

The White Sox are a business yes, but not like the corner hardware store or the local grocery. They are also a public trust and Eddie Einhorn was quoted directly as using that phrase in the forward to Rich Lindberg's White Sox encyclopedia.

That means those owners also have an obligation, it's not all on the fan base. That's a ludicrous idea.

The White Sox franchise historically has been the victim of some things that have been outside of their control (the perception of the neighborhood, the Tribune Company buying the Cubs with the built in media ties in place) but they have also been responsible for shooting themselves in the foot on many occasions. (leaving WGN in 1967, SportsVision, threatening to move and basically extorting a new stadium on the taxpayer's dime, the "White Flag Trade" to name a few.)

For such smart businessmen who put themselves into position to own a pro sports franchise, they have made some incredibly short signed decisions over the decades. And that goes back to Charles Comiskey.

Sorry, I get really pissed off when anyone places the blame completely on the fan base.

I remember the passage from the book Lords of the Realm by John Helyar where it was asked how the Dodgers could draw so many people year after year. The answer from the Dodgers person he spoke with was, "because we kiss the fans asses..."

If blame is going to be placed for the Sox situation, yes the fans could do more but the major obligation by FAR lies with ownership to give them a reason to come out (and having remarks made at least four times just this year by Cooper and Williams insulting said fan base comes straight out of "stupid business tactics 101).

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)

dang that was nice .....

excellent.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 04:39 PM)
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!! You go to a bad restaurant you are under no obligation to return if the meal stinks.

The White Sox are a business yes, but not like the corner hardware store or the local grocery. They are also a public trust and Eddie Einhorn was quoted directly as using that phrase in the forward to Rich Lindberg's White Sox encyclopedia.

That means those owners also have an obligation, it's not all on the fan base. That's a ludicrous idea.

The White Sox franchise historically has been the victim of some things that have been outside of their control (the perception of the neighborhood, the Tribune Company buying the Cubs with the built in media ties in place) but they have also been responsible for shooting themselves in the foot on many occasions. (leaving WGN in 1967, SportsVision, threatening to move and basically extorting a new stadium on the taxpayer's dime, the "White Flag Trade" to name a few.)

For such smart businessmen who put themselves into position to own a pro sports franchise, they have made some incredibly short signed decisions over the decades. And that goes back to Charles Comiskey.

Sorry, I get really pissed off when anyone places the blame completely on the fan base.

I remember the passage from the book Lords of the Realm by John Helyar where it was asked how the Dodgers could draw so many people year after year. The answer from the Dodgers person he spoke with was, "because we kiss the fans asses..."

If blame is going to be placed for the Sox situation, yes the fans could do more but the major obligation by FAR lies with ownership to give them a reason to come out (and having remarks made at least four times just this year by Cooper and Williams insulting said fan base comes straight out of "stupid business tactics 101).

Mark

ref the wgn factor..... that has not always help in their attendance. as hard as it to believe but the records shows it. that is if i remember correctly.

per espn

when the sox won the WS in 05, the attendance went head to head with the northside despite the fact the sox won the WS. that happen a couple of yrs later as well....

then when the sox attendance went down, the north sides went up very little or stayed the same. around 3.01 mil.....

again, they did not win the WS but yet they out did the sox.

the sox screwed up, poor management decision. if they had spent extra, gotten better FA's, been in the run for the playoff, the sox would have ruled the city .//////

the same goes true in the early 90's.... spent that extra money to get that one player missing instead of rehashing and hoping for a miracle thru that player.

cmon, think about it. i am not creating fluff info for the sake of this post.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 05:19 PM)
And they have Jon Lester to show for it. Who won?

ok i will bite, the truth does hurt,

they have a better group of owners,

they have a better group of FO personnel

they have a better group of marketing / advertising

they have a better team manager

they have a better idea of what is needed and how to make it work, esp in marketing and advertising.

and lastly they are not afraid of spending the money .....

so how did i do, now you want to ask me on who won????

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 12:33 PM)
ok i will bite, the truth does hurt,

they have a better group of owners,

they have a better group of FO personnel

they have a better group of marketing / advertising

they have a better team manager

they have a better idea of what is needed and how to make it work, esp in marketing and advertising.

and lastly they are not afraid of spending the money .....

so how did i do, now you want to ask me on who won????

They didn't have any of those people five years ago, and they still had the fan base. If that isn't proof that the whole idea of the Sox needing John McDonough to turn things around is just silly, I don't know what is.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 06:37 PM)
They didn't have any of those people five years ago, and they still had the fan base. If that isn't proof that the whole idea of the Sox needing John McDonough to turn things around is just silly, I don't know what is.

they have always had a owner who was not afraid to spen, and a FO of an idea on how to market their team. they were never afraid to fire a manager who was not cutting it and they did not have their pet lackey's on the payroll.

this last recent hiring of a gm and manager goes to prove that.

now in 2005 and 2006 they out drew the sox....

sox

05 - 2.3 mil

06 - 2.9

07 - 2.6

08 - 2.5

09 - 2.2

10 - 2.2

11 - 2.0

12 - 1.9

13 - 1.7

the other team

05 - 3.1

06 - 3.1

07 - 3.3

08 - 3.3

09 - 3.1

10 - 3.1

11 - 3.1

12 - 2.5

13 - 2.6

14 - 2.6

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)
they have always had a owner who was not afraid to spen, and a FO of an idea on how to market their team. they were never afraid to fire a manager who was not cutting it and they did not have their pet lackey's on the payroll.

this last recent hiring of a gm and manager goes to prove that.

now in 2005 and 2006 they out drew the sox....

sox

05 - 2.3 mil

06 - 2.9

07 - 2.6

08 - 2.5

09 - 2.2

10 - 2.2

11 - 2.0

12 - 1.9

13 - 1.7

the other team

05 - 3.1

06 - 3.1

07 - 3.3

08 - 3.3

09 - 3.1

10 - 3.1

11 - 3.1

12 - 2.5

13 - 2.6

14 - 2.6

Again, five years ago they had none of that, and still had the same fan base. Those attendance numbers just reaffirm exactly what I am saying.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 06:52 PM)
Again, five years ago they had none of that, and still had the same fan base. Those attendance numbers just reaffirm exactly what I am saying.

but they made strides in acquiring assets.

the fan base will always be one sided, as long as the sox continue to be stuck in the mud without an idea of how to improve themself.

while on the north-side, they made a slogon of being the lovable losers, that have to wait till next yr.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 06:52 PM)

btw i am going to use your words,

this just reaffirm the idea that the sox do not have a freaking clue on how to take this club to the next step, whether it is owner's fault or the main GM / president.

LDF:

The fact that the Sox basically were not able to be seen by Chicagoans when they first moved to WFLD (because of the technical issues as well as older TV sets not getting the channel without a converter box) and then SportsVision for the 80's meant generations of kids grew up as Cub fans because that's basically all they could get.

It was a major decision that badly impacted the franchise in my opinion.

Mark